2001-03-15 16:27:13

by Kirill Kozmin

Subject: VIA686A chipset crash under 2.4.2-ac20

Kernel 2.4.2 with ac20 patch seems doesn't like my motherboard
I have FIC SD11 with VIA686A chipset. I compiled it with support of
VIA82Cxxx and DMA support by default. First it seemed like work but
after a while I started to get errors like these:

kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

Before I compiled kernel 2.4.2 without ac patches and got the same errors.

HDD Fujitsu MPE3136AT.

Here is a part of config file for kernel (only set variables)

#
# ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support
#
CONFIG_IDE=y

#
# IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y

#
# IDE chipset support/bugfixes
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y

2001-03-16 18:13:09

by Andre Hedrick

Subject: Re: VIA686A chipset crash under 2.4.2-ac20

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, kozkir-8 wrote:

> Kernel 2.4.2 with ac20 patch seems doesn't like my motherboard
> I have FIC SD11 with VIA686A chipset. I compiled it with support of
> VIA82Cxxx and DMA support by default. First it seemed like work but
> after a while I started to get errors like these:
>
> kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

I am so tired of this report, I am about to hide these in a /dev/null
It is a nothing message. And if the via-core is correct it will auto down
grade the trnasfer rate and you will not feel any effect. Only a
marginally slow disk service.

> Before I compiled kernel 2.4.2 without ac patches and got the same errors.
>
> HDD Fujitsu MPE3136AT.
>
> Here is a part of config file for kernel (only set variables)
>
> #
> # ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support
> #
> CONFIG_IDE=y
>
> #
> # IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
> #
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
> CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
>
> #
> # IDE chipset support/bugfixes
> #
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
> CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
> CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
> CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
>

> -

Andre Hedrick
Linux ATA Development
ASL Kernel Development
ASL, Inc. Toll free: 1-877-ASL-3535
1757 Houret Court Fax: 1-408-941-2071
Milpitas, CA 95035 Web: http://www.aslab.com

2001-03-16 18:27:59

by Kirill Kozmin

Subject: Re[2]: VIA686A chipset crash under 2.4.2-ac20

2001-03-16 18:43:39

by Andre Hedrick

Subject: Re: Re[2]: VIA686A chipset crash under 2.4.2-ac20

Okay not to worry, I now have a my hands on a VIA 686B and will look at
the changes that happened to the VIA686A

Have you run 2.2.18 plus my patches off kernel.org?

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, kozkir-8 wrote:

Andre Hedrick
Linux ATA Development
ASL Kernel Development
ASL, Inc. Toll free: 1-877-ASL-3535
1757 Houret Court Fax: 1-408-941-2071
Milpitas, CA 95035 Web: http://www.aslab.com

2001-03-16 19:07:50

by Kirill Kozmin

Andre Hedrick wrote:

> Okay not to worry, I now have a my hands on a VIA 686B and will look at
> the changes that happened to the VIA686A
>
> Have you run 2.2.18 plus my patches off kernel.org?

No, I didn't run it. Whould I?

--
**************************

Sincerely yours
Kirill Kozmin

E-mail:[email protected]

Homepage:http://www.ludd.luth.se/~kozkir-8/

**************************

2001-03-16 19:39:25

by Andre Hedrick

Yes you should try because there is a fundamental difference in design of
VIA between 2.2.x + patches and 2.4.x

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Kirill Kozmin wrote:

> Andre Hedrick wrote:
>
> > Okay not to worry, I now have a my hands on a VIA 686B and will look at
> > the changes that happened to the VIA686A
> >
> > Have you run 2.2.18 plus my patches off kernel.org?
> >

> No, I didn't run it. Whould I?
>
> --
> **************************
>
> Sincerely yours
> Kirill Kozmin
>
> E-mail:[email protected]
>
> Homepage:http://www.ludd.luth.se/~kozkir-8/
>
> **************************

Andre Hedrick
Linux ATA Development
ASL Kernel Development
ASL, Inc. Toll free: 1-877-ASL-3535
1757 Houret Court Fax: 1-408-941-2071
Milpitas, CA 95035 Web: http://www.aslab.com

2001-03-16 19:56:05

by William Park

Subject: VIA686B + 2.2.18 (was: VIA686A chipset crash under 2.4.2-ac20)

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 10:42:26AM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> Okay not to worry, I now have a my hands on a VIA 686B and will look
> at the changes that happened to the VIA686A
>
> Have you run 2.2.18 plus my patches off kernel.org?

Hi Andre,

I'm running 2.2.18 on VIA686B (ABit VP6). Some time ago, you mentioned
that you got ~80Mb/s from 'hdparm -t /dev/hda'. Please tell us how?
Which hdparm/kernel options did you enable?

:wq --William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, Linux/Python, 8 CPUs.

2001-03-20 18:41:23

by Andre Hedrick

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, William Park wrote:

> I'm running 2.2.18 on VIA686B (ABit VP6). Some time ago, you mentioned
> that you got ~80Mb/s from 'hdparm -t /dev/hda'. Please tell us how?
> Which hdparm/kernel options did you enable?

Nope not w/ 'hdparm' with DiskPerf and correcting for CR3's on memcpy's.

[root@via DiskPerf-1.0.3]# ./DiskPerf /dev/hda
Device: IBM-DTLA-307030 Serial Number: YKDYKM37674
LBA 0 DMA Read Test = 56.62 MB/Sec (4.42 Seconds)
Outer Diameter Sequential DMA Read Test = 35.46 MB/Sec (7.05 Seconds)
Inner Diameter Sequential DMA Read Test = 17.72 MB/Sec (14.10 Seconds)

When you adjust for memory delays (of 35-40%) then you get those number.
and those numbers are valid inside for kernel-kernel access, not
kernel-user-space.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
Linux ATA Development

2001-03-21 23:38:54

by Kirill Kozmin

Andre Hedrick wrote:

> Okay not to worry, I now have a my hands on a VIA 686B and will look at
> the changes that happened to the VIA686A
>
> Have you run 2.2.18 plus my patches off kernel.org?

Ok, now its clear that I have a big troubles with hardware.
I compiled kernel 2.2.18+IDE_patches with support for VIA chipset and still get
errors of type:

kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

before these kernel reports a long string of messages

kernel: hda: Write Cache SUCCESSED Flushing!<6>hda: Write Cache....

Probably it's not a question for this list but what should I do and how can
I determinate broken hardware? (Or configuration? I still hope that it's not a
hardware)

//Kirill

2001-03-26 22:29:59

by Nicholas Petreley