2001-03-16 23:43:46

by Michael Bacarella

Subject: New ld must have --oformat instead of -oformat ?

Riding the bleeding edge of debian leaves some interesting tastes.
Here's one:

[..much of build process omitted..]
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot'
gcc -E -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -D__BIG_KERNEL__ -traditional -DSVGA_MODE=NORMAL_VGA bootsect.S -o bbootsect.s
as -o bbootsect.o bbootsect.s
bbootsect.s: Assembler messages:
bbootsect.s:253: Warning: indirect lcall without `*'
ld -m elf_i386 -Ttext 0x0 -s -oformat binary bbootsect.o -o bbootsect
ld: cannot open binary: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [bbootsect] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [bzImage] Error 2

The line 'ld: cannot open binary: No such file or directory' is puzzling.

I redid the build a few times hoping that it would magically work the
next time (the Windows approach), I got over my fear and thought about it.

# ld -v
GNU ld version 2.11.90.0.1 (with BFD 2.11.90.0.1)

# ld --help 2>&1 | grep oformat
--oformat TARGET Specify target of output file

The Makefile only has one dash. Changing -oformat to --oformat in
arch/i386/boot/Makefile builds the kernel just fine.

Did I stumble onto something that is a non-issue or am I just lucky enough
to be the first one to trip over it?

--
Michael Bacaiella <[email protected]>
Technical Staff / System Development,

2001-03-17 00:13:58

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: New ld must have --oformat instead of -oformat ?

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Michael Bacarella wrote:

> Riding the bleeding edge of debian leaves some interesting tastes.
> The line 'ld: cannot open binary: No such file or directory' is puzzling.
> The Makefile only has one dash. Changing -oformat to --oformat in
> arch/i386/boot/Makefile builds the kernel just fine.

Correct fix. (Already in 2.4.2-ac, and 2.4.3-pre)

> Did I stumble onto something that is a non-issue or am I just lucky enough
> to be the first one to trip over it?

It came up a few weeks ago.
It's only an issue in that 2.4.3 hasn't been released yet, so you'll
need to apply one of the above mentioned patchsets. (Or do it by
hand as you already did :)

regards,

Dave.