2001-03-19 04:26:27

by John R Lenton

Subject: [sligthly OT] serial console on palm

I remember seing a project to get a palm pilot working as a
serial console, but now google seems unable to find it. Does
anyone know of such a project?

--
John Lenton ([email protected]) -- Random fortune:
BOFH excuse #280:

Traceroute says that there is a routing problem in the backbone.
It's not our problem.

2001-03-19 05:11:42

by Andreas Dilger

Subject: Re: [sligthly OT] serial console on palm

John Lenton writes:
> I remember seing a project to get a palm pilot working as a
> serial console, but now google seems unable to find it. Does
> anyone know of such a project?

I got one recently called "serialrecord" for the Palm, but it is one-way
only (useful for capturing OOPSes or so. If someone had a two-way console
for the Palm, it would be great. Sorry, no URL, but you _should_ be able
to find it in l-k archives.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
\ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"

2001-03-19 05:33:07

by Pete Toscano

I use my Palm VX as a serial console on Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and
Solaris. Just get a serial cable for your unit and some console program
such as pTelnet. The rest is quite simple. If you find something
different than pTelnet for console, please let me know as I find it
crashes too much.

pete

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> John Lenton writes:
> > I remember seing a project to get a palm pilot working as a
> > serial console, but now google seems unable to find it. Does
> > anyone know of such a project?
>
> I got one recently called "serialrecord" for the Palm, but it is one-way
> only (useful for capturing OOPSes or so. If someone had a two-way console
> for the Palm, it would be great. Sorry, no URL, but you _should_ be able
> to find it in l-k archives.

Attachments:
(No filename) (793.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by David Lang

there is a vt100 terminal emulater available for the palm (I had it, but
haven't used it in a while, I may have lost it due to not backing things
up properly)

David Lang

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 22:10:20 -0700 (MST)
> From: Andreas Dilger <[email protected]>
> To: John R Lenton <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: [sligthly OT] serial console on palm
>
> John Lenton writes:
> > I remember seing a project to get a palm pilot working as a
> > serial console, but now google seems unable to find it. Does
> > anyone know of such a project?
>
> I got one recently called "serialrecord" for the Palm, but it is one-way
> only (useful for capturing OOPSes or so. If someone had a two-way console
> for the Palm, it would be great. Sorry, no URL, but you _should_ be able
> to find it in l-k archives.
>
> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
> \ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"
> http://www-mddsp.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/adilger/ -- Dogbert
> -

by Nathan Walp

Andreas Dilger wrote:

> John Lenton writes:
> > I remember seing a project to get a palm pilot working as a
> > serial console, but now google seems unable to find it. Does
> > anyone know of such a project?
>
> I got one recently called "serialrecord" for the Palm, but it is one-way
> only (useful for capturing OOPSes or so. If someone had a two-way console
> for the Palm, it would be great. Sorry, no URL, but you _should_ be able
> to find it in l-k archives.
>
> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
> \ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"
> http://www-mddsp.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/adilger/ -- Dogbert
> -

This one has proved handy in the past. I've used it to log into routers
and the like, it's pretty cool. The actual website (not palmgear) is
incredibly slow tho.

http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?prodID=552

Nathan

2001-03-20 14:25:31

by Rafael E. Herrera

It was posted by Christian Ehrhardt.

[email protected] wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 05:32:39PM +0100, I wrote:
> > I wrote a little palm app some time ago that can capture serial
> > console output. If anyone is interested I'll build a tar ball with
> > sources and binary.
>
> It is now availiable at http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/~ehrhardt/serial/
>
> Sorry for the slightly off topic post but I think enough people
> showed interest to justify this.
>
> regards Christian Ehrhardt

I made a couple of changes to it. Mainly:

Made a Makefile
increased the speed to 19200
added a scrollbar
a filter to get rid of some ansi characters.

If someone could add the code to use higher speeds and being able to
recall previous logs would make it more usefull.

The changed version can be obtained in:

http://www.neuronet.pitt.edu/~raffo/SerialRecord/

Bugs: If your machine crashes while booting it will loose the tail of
the output, maybe because is not fast enough.

--
Rafael