2001-03-27 20:29:30

by James Simmons

Subject: Re: mouse problems in 2.4.2 -> lost byte

>This is easily explained: some byte of the mouse protocol was lost.
>(Some mouse protocols are even designed to allow
>easy resync/recovery by fixed bit patterns!)
>
>Write an intelligent mouse driver for XFree86 to compensate for
>lost bytes.

Or write a kernel input device driver. In fact I probable have a mouse
driver for you. What kind of mouse do you have? Then set your X config to
have the following:

Section "Pointer"
Protocol "ImPS/2"
Device "/dev/input/mice"
ZAxisMapping 4 5
EndSection

This way you don't have to wait a few months before the bug is fixed by
XFree86.

MS: (n) 1. A debilitating and surprisingly widespread affliction that
renders the sufferer barely able to perform the simplest task. 2. A disease.

James Simmons [[email protected]] ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org =(_)=
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net U
http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net

2001-03-27 20:49:20

by Gunther.Mayer

James Simmons wrote:

> >This is easily explained: some byte of the mouse protocol was lost.
> >(Some mouse protocols are even designed to allow
> >easy resync/recovery by fixed bit patterns!)
> >
> >Write an intelligent mouse driver for XFree86 to compensate for
> >lost bytes.
>
> Or write a kernel input device driver. In fact I probable have a mouse
> driver for you.

Where can I get your driver?

> What kind of mouse do you have? Then set your X config to
> have the following:
>
> Section "Pointer"
> Protocol "ImPS/2"
> Device "/dev/input/mice"

What is better in using /dev/input/mice than /dev/psaux
on this problem exactly?

2001-03-27 20:51:30

by Linas Vepstas

It's been rumoured that James Simmons said:

> >This is easily explained: some byte of the mouse protocol was lost.
> >(Some mouse protocols are even designed to allow
> >easy resync/recovery by fixed bit patterns!)
> >
> >Write an intelligent mouse driver for XFree86 to compensate for
> >lost bytes.
>
> Or write a kernel input device driver. In fact I probable have a mouse
> driver for you. What kind of mouse do you have?

logitech trackman marble wheel.

send me the driver. Are you working on getting the thing incorporated
into xf86? should I pester someone over there about it? should I assume
that 'everything will be OK', if I wait long enough?

--linas