2001-03-27 22:32:17

by Jorge Nerin

Subject: Win keys not working in console (2.4.x)

Hello, good work with 2.4.x, but I miss one thing. in early 2.3.x the MS
keys, you know, two flags and one "properties" key worked as navigation
keys in the console.

The flags get you to the "left" or "rigth" virtual console, and the
"properties" key put you on the last console you where before.

This was very useful when working in the console, I use the console
sometimes, and I miss these feature.

Is there a plan to put back these keys to work, or there was a problem
of some kind and this feature got dropped?

--
Jorge Nerin
<[email protected]>

2001-03-27 23:12:47

by Guest section DW

Subject: Re: Win keys not working in console (2.4.x)

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 11:33:34PM +0200, Jorge Nerin wrote:

> Hello, good work with 2.4.x, but I miss one thing. in early 2.3.x the MS
> keys, you know, two flags and one "properties" key worked as navigation
> keys in the console.
>
> The flags get you to the "left" or "rigth" virtual console, and the
> "properties" key put you on the last console you where before.
>
> This was very useful when working in the console, I use the console
> sometimes, and I miss these feature.

(i) Find out what key codes these keys generate.
Vaguely I seem to recall that I made these keys produce 125, 126, 127.
(the test command is "showkey")

(ii) Use loadkeys to assign functions to keys.
For example,
% loadkeys
keycode 125 = Incr_Console
keycode 126 = Decr_Console
keycode 127 = Last_Console
^D
should give you the desired behaviour.
Perhaps you lost some settings during an upgrade.

See loadkeys(1) and keytables(5).

2001-03-27 23:36:44

by Jorge Nerin

Guest section DW wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 11:33:34PM +0200, Jorge Nerin wrote:
>

>> Hello, good work with 2.4.x, but I miss one thing. in early 2.3.x the MS
>> keys, you know, two flags and one "properties" key worked as navigation
>> keys in the console.
>>
>> The flags get you to the "left" or "rigth" virtual console, and the
>> "properties" key put you on the last console you where before.
>>
>> This was very useful when working in the console, I use the console
>> sometimes, and I miss these feature.
>

> (i) Find out what key codes these keys generate.
> Vaguely I seem to recall that I made these keys produce 125, 126, 127.
> (the test command is "showkey")
>
> (ii) Use loadkeys to assign functions to keys.
> For example,
> % loadkeys
> keycode 125 = Incr_Console
> keycode 126 = Decr_Console
> keycode 127 = Last_Console
> ^D
> should give you the desired behaviour.
> Perhaps you lost some settings during an upgrade.
>
> See loadkeys(1) and keytables(5).

Oh, thanks, as you say I should have lost it in an upgrade, don't know
how. I thougth it was a kernel issue, sorry. :(

Thanks.

--
Jorge Nerin
<[email protected]>