2001-03-29 11:35:54

by clock

Subject: diskette change problems

I put a write-protected diskette into fd0
cat /dev/zero > /dev/fd0: readonly filesystem
then removed dikette, switched the plastic nibble
reinserted diskette
cat /dev/zero > /dev/fd0 : readonly filesystem
removed the diskette
cat /dev/zero: a bunch of garbage, then kernel spasms about sectors not found and
commands not performed
reinserted the diskette
cat /dev/zero > /dev/fd0: readonly filesystem
rebooted the machine
cat /dev/zero > /dev/fd0: run OK.

morale: if you are not able to write on a write-permitted diskette, reboot the kernel

--
Karel Kulhavy http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock

2001-03-29 15:07:52

by Lech Szychowski

Subject: Re: diskette change problems

> I put a write-protected diskette into fd0
> cat /dev/zero > /dev/fd0: readonly filesystem
> then removed dikette, switched the plastic nibble
> reinserted diskette
> cat /dev/zero > /dev/fd0 : readonly filesystem

Are you sure your FDD correctly recognizes media changes? Is there
anything like "kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device fd(2,0)"
noted in your logfiles?

--
Leszek.

-- [email protected] 2:480/33.7 -- REAL programmers use INTEGERS --
-- speaking just for myself...