2001-04-04 15:09:07

by Mark Lehrer

Subject: "linux" terminal type

Is there any documentation on ths linux console terminal type? If
so, where?

Thanks,
Mark

2001-04-04 16:18:23

by Hacksaw

Subject: Re: "linux" terminal type

Look in section 4 of the man pages for entries starting with "console".

console
console_codes
etc.

2001-04-04 17:32:47

by Ralf Baechle

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 09:07:55PM -0600, Mark Lehrer wrote:
> Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 21:07:55 -0600
> From: Mark Lehrer <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: "linux" terminal type
>

> Is there any documentation on ths linux console terminal type? If
> so, where?

Maybe cryptic but the most complete documentation of the linux terminal
and it's relatives are probably /etc/termcap and the ncurses terminfo
database. Aside of the code itself.

Ralf

2001-04-05 03:42:55

by James Simmons

>> Is there any documentation on ths linux console terminal type? If
>> so, where?
>
>Maybe cryptic but the most complete documentation of the linux terminal
>and it's relatives are probably /etc/termcap and the ncurses terminfo
>database. Aside of the code itself.

Also take a look at http://www.vt100.net . Since linux tries to emulate
the Dec vt100 at this site you will find the vt100 manuals. They are quite
good and the esc codes are well described in them.

MS: (n) 1. A debilitating and surprisingly widespread affliction that
renders the sufferer barely able to perform the simplest task. 2. A disease.

James Simmons [[email protected]] ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org =(_)=
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net U
http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net

2001-04-05 18:38:37

by Ralf Baechle

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 08:42:32PM -0700, James Simmons wrote:

> Also take a look at http://www.vt100.net . Since linux tries to emulate
> the Dec vt100 at this site you will find the vt100 manuals. They are quite
> good and the esc codes are well described in them.
>
> MS: (n) 1. A debilitating and surprisingly widespread affliction that
> renders the sufferer barely able to perform the simplest task. 2. A disease.

Somebody reminded me in private email that we finally have a reasonable
console documentation in console_codes(4).

Ralf

2001-04-05 23:06:59

by Guest section DW

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 08:36:27PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> Somebody reminded me in private email that we finally have a reasonable
> console documentation in console_codes(4).

To me "finally" sounds as if this happy state was achieved only recently.
But console_codes.4 is from Mon Oct 31 22:13:04 1996.