2001-04-14 21:33:16

by cacook

Subject: Writing to Pana DVD-RAM

Hello,

I am running RedHat Wolverine (beta) with kernel 2.4.2. I have a SCSI subsystem (AHA2740) with a Panasonic LF-D101 DVDRAM on it.

I read that the CDROM driver is built to recognize DVDRAMs and allow writes; well I can mount and read the UDF file system fine, but am not allowed writes. I have UDF2.0 on the disk, because it didn't recognize UDF2.1.

Also, when I make xconfig, it includes UDF support, but read-only. (Write-Experimental is grayed-out)

In fstab: /dev/scd1 is mounted to /mnt/dvdram udf default 0 0. (paraphrasing)

I need the DVDRAM for backups and file transfers. Is the problem the driver, the UDF filesystem, my setup, or what?
--
C.

The best way out is always through.
- Robert Frost A Servant to Servants, 1914

2001-04-14 22:16:02

by Jeremy Jackson

Subject: Re: Writing to Pana DVD-RAM

[email protected] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running RedHat Wolverine (beta) with kernel 2.4.2. I have a SCSI subsystem (AHA2740) with a Panasonic LF-D101 DVDRAM on it.
>
> I read that the CDROM driver is built to recognize DVDRAMs and allow writes; well I can mount and read the UDF file system fine, but am not allowed writes. I have UDF2.0 on the disk, because it didn't recognize UDF2.1.
>
> Also, when I make xconfig, it includes UDF support, but read-only. (Write-Experimental is grayed-out)
>
> In fstab: /dev/scd1 is mounted to /mnt/dvdram udf default 0 0. (paraphrasing)
>
> I need the DVDRAM for backups and file transfers. Is the problem the driver, the UDF filesystem, my setup, or what?
> --
> C.
>
> The best way out is always through.
> - Robert Frost A Servant to Servants, 1914
>
> -

Check that "Experimental " is enabled under "Code Maturity level options",
if you can't find it try using "make menuconfig" instead of "make xconfig"
Note that the UDF-write support option is listed as "Dangerous"... possibly
making things difficult, but then again if you have a DVD-RAM,
how bad can things be :)

Cheers,

Jeremy

2001-04-15 13:55:11

by cacook

DOH! You're right.

I can now write to it, but only get one chance. Copy a file to DVDRAM, read, print, etc, but when I try to rm or mv, segfault. Foreverafter the DVDRAM is 'busy'. Cannot umount. Must reboot then umount. Remount, get another write, but on subsequent write, segfault.

I am using UDF2. (UDF2.1 won't mount) Would I be better off with UDF1.2, or FAT32? How can I get details of the driver's capabilities?
--

Jeremy Jackson wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am running RedHat Wolverine (beta) with kernel 2.4.2. I have a SCSI subsystem (AHA2740) with a Panasonic LF-D101 DVDRAM on it.
> >
> > I read that the CDROM driver is built to recognize DVDRAMs and allow writes; well I can mount and read the UDF file system fine, but am not allowed writes. I have UDF2.0 on the disk, because it didn't recognize UDF2.1.
> >
> > Also, when I make xconfig, it includes UDF support, but read-only. (Write-Experimental is grayed-out)
> >
> > In fstab: /dev/scd1 is mounted to /mnt/dvdram udf default 0 0. (paraphrasing)
> >
> > I need the DVDRAM for backups and file transfers. Is the problem the driver, the UDF filesystem, my setup, or what?
> > --
> > C.
> >
> > The best way out is always through.
> > - Robert Frost A Servant to Servants, 1914
> >
> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]
>
> Check that "Experimental " is enabled under "Code Maturity level options",
> if you can't find it try using "make menuconfig" instead of "make xconfig"
> Note that the UDF-write support option is listed as "Dangerous"... possibly
> making things difficult, but then again if you have a DVD-RAM,
> how bad can things be :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeremy

2001-04-15 14:20:26

by Jens Axboe

On Sun, Apr 15 2001, [email protected] wrote:
> DOH! You're right.
>
> I can now write to it, but only get one chance. Copy a file to
> DVDRAM, read, print, etc, but when I try to rm or mv, segfault.
> Foreverafter the DVDRAM is 'busy'. Cannot umount. Must reboot then
> umount. Remount, get another write, but on subsequent write,
> segfault.

Please decode that oops and send it along, see REPORTING-BUGS

--
Jens Axboe

2001-04-16 16:29:09

by Jens Axboe