2001-04-17 03:32:10

by Chris Kloiber

Subject: Documentation of module parameters.

I was recently looking for a single location where all the possible
module parameters for the linux kernel was located.

I figured I would look at the source first, hoping that each module
maintaier would clearly document at the beginning of each .c file all of
the parameters his or her module can accept. Sadly, that's not always
the case. Some modules are well documented, others are a complete
mystery. If I was a programmer myself, I might be able to determine from
the code itself what parameters are possible, but that's not one of my
talents. Could any and all of you please take the time to document your
code, and keep the comments up to date when it changes? I think that in
the source code itself is the best place for such documentation, as you
have the chance to fix the docs with every patch, and the source is
always included in each distribution. Then from the source can any
exterior documentation be gleaned. Those of us who don't speak C would
really appreciate it.

Thanks In Advance.

Chris Kloiber

2001-04-17 05:08:12

by Jonathan Lundell

Subject: Re: Documentation of module parameters.

At 11:30 PM -0400 2001-04-16, Chris Kloiber wrote:
>I was recently looking for a single location where all the possible
>module parameters for the linux kernel was located.

Hear him. A DocBook document would be a dandy place for this to get pulled together, too.

--
/Jonathan Lundell.

2001-04-17 16:24:12

by Jerry Cooperstein

You can use the "modinfo" utility (Do "man modinfo".) In particular

modinfo -p driver.o

will give any parameters that can be set in driver.o. If the module
author has used the MODULE_PARM_DESC() macro, more documentation
can be found.

Jerry Cooperstein, PhD <[email protected]>
Senior Consultant
____ _
Axian, Inc. <[email protected]> // |_ __(_) ___ _ __
4800 SW Griffith Dr., Ste. 202 //| |\\/ /| |/ _ \| '_ \
Beaverton, OR 97005 USA _____//_| | / / | | |_| | | | |
Voice: (541)758-8020 (( // |_|/_/\\|_|\_/|_|_| |_|
``-'' ``-''
http://www.axian.com/ Software Consulting and Training

>I was recently looking for a single location where all the possible
>module parameters for the linux kernel was located.
>
>I figured I would look at the source first, hoping that each module
>maintaier would clearly document at the beginning of each .c file all of
>the parameters his or her module can accept. Sadly, that's not always
>the case. Some modules are well documented, others are a complete
>mystery. If I was a programmer myself, I might be able to determine from
>the code itself what parameters are possible, but that's not one of my
>talents. Could any and all of you please take the time to document your
>code, and keep the comments up to date when it changes? I think that in
>the source code itself is the best place for such documentation, as you
>have the chance to fix the docs with every patch, and the source is
>always included in each distribution. Then from the source can any
>exterior documentation be gleaned. Those of us who don't speak C would
>really appreciate it.

>Thanks In Advance.

>Chris Kloiber

2001-04-20 16:41:07

by Harald Welte

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 10:07:56PM -0700, Jonathan Lundell wrote:
> At 11:30 PM -0400 2001-04-16, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> >I was recently looking for a single location where all the possible
> >module parameters for the linux kernel was located.
>
> Hear him. A DocBook document would be a dandy place for this to get pulled
> together, too.

good idea. One could just grab all the MODULE_PARM_DESC out of all sourcefiles,
look to which module the particular sourcefile belongs (looking into
Makefile?), and create a Documentation/DocBook/... document out of it.

Sounds like something doable, only somebody needs to get around doing
it. Any volunteers?

--
Live long and prosper
- Harald Welte / [email protected] http://www.gnumonks.org

2001-04-20 17:11:31

by john slee

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 01:37:22PM -0300, Harald Welte wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 10:07:56PM -0700, Jonathan Lundell wrote:
> > At 11:30 PM -0400 2001-04-16, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> > >I was recently looking for a single location where all the possible
> > >module parameters for the linux kernel was located.
> >
> > Hear him. A DocBook document would be a dandy place for this to get pulled
> > together, too.
>
> good idea. One could just grab all the MODULE_PARM_DESC out of all sourcefiles,
> look to which module the particular sourcefile belongs (looking into
> Makefile?), and create a Documentation/DocBook/... document out of it.
>
> Sounds like something doable, only somebody needs to get around doing
> it. Any volunteers?

it sounded like a challenge. this might help someone who can't be
bothered extracting all the data by hand. it spits it out in tab
delimited form, as sanely as i could manage in 5 minutes.

j.

--
"Bobby, jiggle Grandpa's rat so it looks alive, please" -- gary larson

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.99 kB)
kernel-module-info.sh (311.00 B)

by john slee

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 03:19:20AM +1000, john slee wrote:
> it sounded like a challenge. this might help someone who can't be

and it might be even more helpful if it didnt appear with a stupid
mimetype.

attempt #2

--
"Bobby, jiggle Grandpa's rat so it looks alive, please" -- gary larson

Attachments:
(No filename) (294.00 B)
kernel-module-info.sh (311.00 B)
Download all attachments