2001-04-21 11:25:53

by lk

Subject: A question about MMX.

I have a Intel Pentium MMX machine and it acts as a mailserver, webserver,
ftp and I use X on it. I would like to know if the MMX instructions are
used by the kernel in this operations or not (networking, X etc.).

Thank you,

/me

2001-04-21 11:45:39

by Rasmus Bøg Hansen

Subject: Re: A question about MMX.

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> I have a Intel Pentium MMX machine and it acts as a mailserver, webserver,
> ftp and I use X on it. I would like to know if the MMX instructions are
> used by the kernel in this operations or not (networking, X etc.).

I _think_ some MMX is used if you configure the kernel for an
MMX-enabled CPU type, but not sure. But as MMX is mainly an extended
floating point instruction set, you will not have much use for it on a
server as you describe.

Rasmus

--
-- [ Rasmus 'M?ffe' B?g Hansen ] --------------------------------------
[ Cancel Cancelled ]

2001-04-21 11:59:11

by Alan

> I have a Intel Pentium MMX machine and it acts as a mailserver, webserver,
> ftp and I use X on it. I would like to know if the MMX instructions are
> used by the kernel in this operations or not (networking, X etc.).

In almost all cases - no. The MMX instructions are mostly not useful. A few
graphics operations benefit from them such as mpeg players but that is about
it.

On the AMD and Cyrix machines 3Dnow is used extensively by Mesa (3D) and by
many of the mp3 players. The winchip and athlon kernels also use mmx for
block copies but this isnt a win in the pentium case.

2001-04-21 13:01:05

by lk

Thank you all who have responded my question.

Have a nice day!

/me

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I have a Intel Pentium MMX machine and it acts as a mailserver, webserver,
> > ftp and I use X on it. I would like to know if the MMX instructions are
> > used by the kernel in this operations or not (networking, X etc.).
>
> In almost all cases - no. The MMX instructions are mostly not useful. A few
> graphics operations benefit from them such as mpeg players but that is about
> it.
>
> On the AMD and Cyrix machines 3Dnow is used extensively by Mesa (3D) and by
> many of the mp3 players. The winchip and athlon kernels also use mmx for
> block copies but this isnt a win in the pentium case.
>
> -

by Tim Walberg

MMX **is** potentially used in the md (RAID-5) code for parity
calculation, IIRC, though. That's about the only place that I
can think of that it's used, but I don't claim to know the
inner workings of the entire kernel, either...

tw

On 04/21/2001 13:55 +0300, [email protected] wrote:

>> I have a Intel Pentium MMX machine and it acts as a mailserver, webserver,
>> ftp and I use X on it. I would like to know if the MMX instructions are
>> used by the kernel in this operations or not (networking, X etc.).
>>

>> Thank you,
>>
>> /me
>>
>> -
>> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
>> the body of a message to [email protected]
>> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
End of included message

--
| Tim Walberg | [email protected] |