2001-04-21 16:40:53

by Trever L. Adams

Subject: Crash: XFree86 4.0.3 and Kernel 4.0.3

I hate to report this again, I saw some reports that it was fixed with
4.0.3 of XFree86, so I tried XF86 4.0.3 with RedHat 7.1.

Any time it tries to turn the monitor off, it crashes. I get no oopses.
Nothing.

Has anyone figured out why it crashes? How can I fix it besides remove
the power savings option of automatically shutting the monitor off?
BTW, I am running this box with ACPI. It crashes even more if I use
APM. I never could figure that out, but anyway.

Trever Adams

2001-04-21 18:09:12

by Juri Haberland

Subject: Re: Crash: XFree86 4.0.3 and Kernel 4.0.3

Trever L. Adams wrote:
> I hate to report this again, I saw some reports that it was fixed with
> 4.0.3 of XFree86, so I tried XF86 4.0.3 with RedHat 7.1.
>
> Any time it tries to turn the monitor off, it crashes. I get no oopses.
> Nothing.
>
> Has anyone figured out why it crashes? How can I fix it besides remove
> the power savings option of automatically shutting the monitor off?
> BTW, I am running this box with ACPI. It crashes even more if I use
> APM. I never could figure that out, but anyway.

Hi Trevor,

I have the same problem with almost the same combination (RH 7.0 instead of
RH 7.1). Did you compile the XFree server yourself and if so, did you
optimize it for i686? The reason why I'm asking is that I did that and
suspected the optimazions to cause the crashes.

Juri

--
Juri Haberland <[email protected]>

2001-04-21 19:25:45

by Trever L. Adams

Juri Haberland wrote:

> Hi Trevor,
>
> I have the same problem with almost the same combination (RH 7.0 instead of
> RH 7.1). Did you compile the XFree server yourself and if so, did you
> optimize it for i686? The reason why I'm asking is that I did that and
> suspected the optimazions to cause the crashes.
>
> Juri

Juri, et al.

I did some searches on google. It seems that it is the combination
of kernel 2.4, glibc2.2.x, and possibly the i686 optimizations. I found
my machine was alive from a network connection. The problem is, I cant
get my keyboard back even with sysrq (syslog does show it changing into
XLATE mode... I thought alt-ctrl-r was raw?). Of course the machine was
alive, but X was dead. xscreensaver and the screen save it ran along
with most of the desktop stuff was still running.

Anyway, I tried 'shutdown -r now'over the network. Didn't work. I had
to do a hard reset. So it seems the kernel may be slightly left in an
unknown or confused state.

I did not compile it myself. Using RedHat 7.1 standard.

Since I saw this mentioned here recently, does gcc still think 686=cmov?
If so, Alan or someone else, does Athlon classic (slot 800 Mhz) support
cmov?

Trever Adams

2001-04-22 02:56:52

by Horst von Brand

> I hate to report this again, I saw some reports that it was fixed with
> 4.0.3 of XFree86, so I tried XF86 4.0.3 with RedHat 7.1.

We'll need patches to check on this... our current kernel is just
2.4.4-pre5

[Couldn't resist]
--
Horst von Brand [email protected]
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616

2001-04-22 03:25:39

by Trever L. Adams

Subject: Re: Crash: XFree86 4.0.3 and Kernel 2.4.3

Horst von Brand wrote:

>>I hate to report this again, I saw some reports that it was fixed with
>>4.0.3 of XFree86, so I tried XF86 4.0.3 with RedHat 7.1.
>>

> We'll need patches to check on this... our current kernel is just
> 2.4.4-pre5
>
> [Couldn't resist]

Sorry, I should have sent a message correcting myself as soon as I
realized I did that. Moral of the story, never post when you just woke
up. That is kernel 2.4.3.

Sorry again,
Trever