2001-04-23 18:15:31

by Jeff V. Merkey

Subject: 3-Ware Raid driver fails to update GenDisk head

Andre/LKML,

I am still working on this, but would appreciate some help from
whomever owns this driver proper. I have discovered that the
3Ware drivers are not updating the gendisk_head with devices
reported and exposed to user space as /dev/sda, sdb, etc. The
adapter driver does correctly report devices to user space, but
is not properly reflecting these devices in the gendisk_head,
which makes it rather hard for kernel level drivers to scan
and determine which devices are attached to the controller.

I attempted to correct this in the code, but found that these
changes are a very significant effort to get working.

Please advise.

Jeff

2001-04-23 19:47:18

by Guest section DW

Subject: Re: 3-Ware Raid driver fails to update GenDisk head

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 12:08:52PM -0600, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> I am still working on this, but would appreciate some help from
> whomever owns this driver proper. I have discovered that the
> 3Ware drivers are not updating the gendisk_head with devices
> reported and exposed to user space as /dev/sda, sdb, etc.

But that is the job of sd.c, not of a driver.

2001-04-23 20:01:48

by Jeff V. Merkey

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 09:47:01PM +0200, Guest section DW wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 12:08:52PM -0600, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> >
> > I am still working on this, but would appreciate some help from
> > whomever owns this driver proper. I have discovered that the
> > 3Ware drivers are not updating the gendisk_head with devices
> > reported and exposed to user space as /dev/sda, sdb, etc.
>
> But that is the job of sd.c, not of a driver.

These drivers are an IDE driver that simulates a SCSI interface. It
reported IDE devices as SCSI handles, so there's some holes. I guess
you were not aware of this, or you would have known that standard sd.c
is not working.

:-)

Jeff

2001-04-23 21:15:01

by Guest section DW

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 01:55:00PM -0600, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 09:47:01PM +0200, Guest section DW wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 12:08:52PM -0600, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> > >
> > > I am still working on this, but would appreciate some help from
> > > whomever owns this driver proper. I have discovered that the
> > > 3Ware drivers are not updating the gendisk_head with devices
> > > reported and exposed to user space as /dev/sda, sdb, etc.
> >
> > But that is the job of sd.c, not of a driver.
>
> These drivers are an IDE driver that simulates a SCSI interface. It
> reported IDE devices as SCSI handles, so there's some holes. I guess
> you were not aware of this, or you would have known that standard sd.c
> is not working.

Just like ide-scsi.c you mean?

2001-04-23 22:39:52

by Jeff V. Merkey

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 11:13:12PM +0200, Guest section DW wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 01:55:00PM -0600, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> > > But that is the job of sd.c, not of a driver.
> >
> > These drivers are an IDE driver that simulates a SCSI interface. It
> > reported IDE devices as SCSI handles, so there's some holes. I guess
> > you were not aware of this, or you would have known that standard sd.c
> > is not working.
>
> Just like ide-scsi.c you mean?

No. They're not that clean and well organized, though they are rather
clever adapters and are pretty cool.

Jeff

2001-04-23 22:47:32

by Jens Axboe

On Mon, Apr 23 2001, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 11:13:12PM +0200, Guest section DW wrote:

> > > These drivers are an IDE driver that simulates a SCSI interface. It
> > > reported IDE devices as SCSI handles, so there's some holes. I guess
> > > you were not aware of this, or you would have known that standard sd.c
> > > is not working.
> >
> > Just like ide-scsi.c you mean?
>
> No. They're not that clean and well organized, though they are rather
> clever adapters and are pretty cool.

Come on Jeff, what Andries is saying is that it _works_ like ide-scsi.
It registers itself as a SCSI hba like a "regular" SCSI card, hence it
uses the SCSI infrastructure -- alas, disks driven by sd.c

--
Jens Axboe

2001-04-23 22:48:46

by Jeff V. Merkey

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 12:45:35AM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23 2001, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> > > Just like ide-scsi.c you mean?
> >
> > No. They're not that clean and well organized, though they are rather
> > clever adapters and are pretty cool.
>
> Come on Jeff, what Andries is saying is that it _works_ like ide-scsi.
> It registers itself as a SCSI hba like a "regular" SCSI card, hence it
> uses the SCSI infrastructure -- alas, disks driven by sd.c

OK, OK. I get it. Sorry for the digs ....

:-)

Jeff