2001-07-09 23:43:26

by sendhil kumar

Subject: Regarding the make module_install.

Hi,

Can any one update me about, what make module and make
module_install do? What is the difference between the
insmod command and module_install?
Thanks in advance....

Thanks,
siva.s

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

2001-07-10 00:01:39

by Mike Castle

Subject: Re: Regarding the make module_install.

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 04:42:59PM -0700, sendhil kumar wrote:
> Can any one update me about, what make module and make

make modules compiles and links the modules

> module_install do? What is the difference between the

module_install places them in /lib/modules/`uname -a`/*

> insmod command and module_install?

insmod first looks in /lib/modules/`uname -a`/* to load the module into
kernel space.

[certain details may be incorrect, but that the general idea.]

mrc
--
Mike Castle [email protected] http://www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/
We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan. -- Watchmen

by Alexander Griesser

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 04:42:59PM -0700, you wrote:
> Can any one update me about, what make module and make
> module_install do?

That's a FAQ!
make modules compiles the modules
make modules_install copies the modules to /lib/modules/$(uname -r)

> What is the difference between the insmod command and
> module_install?

The two things are completely different.
insmod/modprobe is a tool for loading modules dynamically into a running
kernel and modules_install is a makefile-target, user for copying the
precompiled modules to a certain destination.

Please don't post such questions in here, check for a local linux
newsgroup or discussionforum.

regards, alexx
--
| .-. | CCNAIA Alexander Griesser <[email protected]> | .''`. |
| /v\ | http://www.tuxx-home.at -=- ICQ:63180135 | : :' : |