2001-07-18 19:36:44

by Florin Andrei

Subject: noapic strikes back

I have a SGI 1200 (L440GX+ motherboard, dual PIII) and i'm trying to
install at least one version of Red Hat 7.1 on it.
The problem is, while booting up the installer, when it comes to loading
up the SCSI driver (AIC7xxx) the system is frozen.

I tried the following boot disks:
- stock Red Hat 7.1
- Doug Ledford's updates from people.redhat.com
- SGI XFS 1.0.1

I tried to boot the installer with and without "noapic" option.

I tried to enable and disable the APIC option in BIOS ("PCI IRQs to
IO-APIC Mapping").

I tried all the combinations of these. No luck. :-(

Please, is there anything to do about this problem? I *have* to install
something newer than RH7.0 on that system.

Guys, i will try whatever boot disks you will send to me. I'm willing to
be you guinea pig. :-) Just let's kill the APIC problem for good!

--
Florin Andrei

2001-07-18 19:45:54

by Doug Ledford

Subject: Re: noapic strikes back

Florin Andrei wrote:

> I have a SGI 1200 (L440GX+ motherboard, dual PIII) and i'm trying to
> install at least one version of Red Hat 7.1 on it.
> The problem is, while booting up the installer, when it comes to loading
> up the SCSI driver (AIC7xxx) the system is frozen.
>
> I tried the following boot disks:
> - stock Red Hat 7.1
> - Doug Ledford's updates from people.redhat.com
> - SGI XFS 1.0.1
>
> I tried to boot the installer with and without "noapic" option.

When using my boot disk, you have to use the "apic" option, not the "noapic"
option.

--

Doug Ledford <[email protected]> http://people.redhat.com/dledford
Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before

2001-07-18 20:10:06

by Jure Pecar

On 18 Jul 2001 12:35:08 -0700
Florin Andrei <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a SGI 1200 (L440GX+ motherboard, dual PIII) and i'm trying to
> install at least one version of Red Hat 7.1 on it.

This is a known issue. Check RedHat's Bugzilla to find out more.

--

Jure Pecar

2001-07-18 21:05:13

by daniel

Hi there!

I too have that problem on Intel ISP2150 servers (L440GX+ motherboard is the
problem, of course) and I've seen even quite amazing things - there are boot
disks that work (you don't see the message complaining about shared IRQ 11,
whatever) but the kernel that is put on disk from the installation rpm is not
coherent with the one made for the disk (apic'ed or not apic'ed), so I actually
could install from the first redhat 7.1 xfs iso (xfs 1.0) and get that problem
only upon the first boot from disk - systems hangs forever.

With the problem of fitting a kernel image (with xfs and softraid gets too big)
onto a disk, I could only solve this, compiling my own and putting it on a
network tftp server and booting with PXE (intel servers -> intel NIC -> Fancy
Network Boot); I suppose emulating a 2.88 disk and making a bootable CD would
also do (if you have a CD-ROM).

Cheers,

Daniel Fonseca

--
----------------------------------
E-Mail: [email protected]
Date: 18-Jul-2001
Time: 21:25:56

This message was sent by XFMail
----------------------------------

2001-07-18 23:34:39

by Florin Andrei

On 18 Jul 2001 15:46:48 -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
> Florin Andrei wrote:
> >
> > I tried to boot the installer with and without "noapic" option.
>
> When using my boot disk, you have to use the "apic" option, not the "noapic"
> option.

Oh, crap... :-(
Yes, "apic" is the right one. It works fine. Thank you.
Now if i only could do the same thing to the SGI XFS 1.0.1 installer...

P.S.: Doug, please, can you put a small README in the updates directory,
so people can know what option to use? I saw that URL floating around
for a while, so maybe some people (like me) will be confused when trying
to use your updated images. Thanks.

--
Florin Andrei

2001-07-19 04:01:41

by Nitin Dhingra

I guess the problem is mostly of the scsi driver.
Get the latest version scsi driver of that particular
card and then try again.

Regards,
Nitin

[...]

2001-07-19 04:25:20

by Doug Ledford

Florin Andrei wrote:
> Oh, crap... :-(
> Yes, "apic" is the right one. It works fine. Thank you.
> Now if i only could do the same thing to the SGI XFS 1.0.1 installer...
>
> P.S.: Doug, please, can you put a small README in the updates directory,
> so people can know what option to use? I saw that URL floating around
> for a while, so maybe some people (like me) will be confused when trying
> to use your updated images. Thanks.

I've put it into my local web area. It will get disted up to the server
before too much longer.

--

Doug Ledford <[email protected]> http://people.redhat.com/dledford
Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before
e-mailing me about problems

2001-07-19 05:29:45

by Doug Ledford

Nitin Dhingra wrote:

> I guess the problem is mostly of the scsi driver.
> Get the latest version scsi driver of that particular
> card and then try again.

No, this has been gone over a thousand times already. It's the interrupt
routing table in these particular Intel motherboard is busted.