2001-07-24 17:33:42

by Nico Schottelius

Subject: ps2/ new data for mouse protocol (fwd msg attached)

Hello guys!

Have a look into the attached email before reading mine, please.

Is it possible to find out about what those bytes are ?
And is it possible to intergrate the support for other
3 bytes into the Linux kernel ?

Sincerly,

Nico

Attachments:
nsmail3B5DB10E002019E (2.25 kB)

2001-07-24 23:26:44

by Erik Mouw

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 07:32:29PM +0200, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> Have a look into the attached email before reading mine, please.
>
> Is it possible to find out about what those bytes are ?
> And is it possible to intergrate the support for other
> 3 bytes into the Linux kernel ?

So they put information about four buttons in six bytes and call that
proprietary? ROFL! How hard can it be? I think it will be fairly
straight forward to reverse engineer the format, it can't be rocket
science.

Erik

> From: "Fidel Zawde" <[email protected]>
> To: <[email protected]>
> Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:21:22 -0800
> Subject: FW: informations needed of touchpad
>
> Hello,
>
> In order to use four buttons the data packages must be larger than the
> standard 3 bytes. The data packages that the touchpad sends in absolute
> mode is 6 bytes. The information on how the buttons are inserted into the 6
> byte packet is proprietary. However, if you would like more information on
> the data packets that are sent from the touchpad you can download the
> "Synaptics Touchpad Interfacing guide" from our website http://www.synaptics.com.

Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635 Fax: +31-15-2781843 Email: [email protected]

by Gunther.Mayer

Erik Mouw wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 07:32:29PM +0200, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> > Have a look into the attached email before reading mine, please.
> >
> > Is it possible to find out about what those bytes are ?
> > And is it possible to intergrate the support for other
> > 3 bytes into the Linux kernel ?
>
> So they put information about four buttons in six bytes and call that
> proprietary? ROFL! How hard can it be? I think it will be fairly
> straight forward to reverse engineer the format, it can't be rocket
> science.

No need for this, just read the public available documentation !

Proprietary != Secret.

However, some mouse secrets from various sources I hacked in here: http://home.t-online.de/home/gunther.mayer/gm_psauxprint-0.01.c

2001-07-25 14:45:51

by Allan Sandfeld Jensen

On Wednesday 25. July 2001 13:09, Gunther Mayer wrote:
> Erik Mouw wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 07:32:29PM +0200, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> > > Have a look into the attached email before reading mine, please.
> > >
> > > Is it possible to find out about what those bytes are ?
> > > And is it possible to intergrate the support for other
> > > 3 bytes into the Linux kernel ?
> >
> > So they put information about four buttons in six bytes and call that
> > proprietary? ROFL! How hard can it be? I think it will be fairly
> > straight forward to reverse engineer the format, it can't be rocket
> > science.
>
> No need for this, just read the public available documentation !
>
> Proprietary != Secret.
>
> However, some mouse secrets from various sources I hacked in here:
> http://home.t-online.de/home/gunther.mayer/gm_psauxprint-0.01.c -

Very nice. I am currently looking for some info to solve a problem with
thinkpads and logitech cordless mice over ps/2. Basicly the wheel doesnt
work. Looking closer they dont respond to the imps/2 or mousemanps/2
protocol. Since cordless mice are more common than thinkpads, I think the
problem would be solved if it was with the mouse. So I am guessing the IBM
defaults to just repeating standard ps/2 protocol, and you have to first
trick that before you trick the mouse. Since it works in windows there IS a
way...

Where do I find the public available protocols, and the secrets? :)

And for the list, who should I notify that I am working on autodetecting IBM
thinkpad ps/2 repeaters in mouse driver?

(And yes I know some of the work belongs in XFree and gpm)

-Allan Sandfeld (snowwolf)

2001-07-25 16:09:00

by James Simmons

> > However, some mouse secrets from various sources I hacked in here:
> > http://home.t-online.de/home/gunther.mayer/gm_psauxprint-0.01.c -
>
> Very nice. I am currently looking for some info to solve a problem with
> thinkpads and logitech cordless mice over ps/2. Basicly the wheel doesnt
> work. Looking closer they dont respond to the imps/2 or mousemanps/2
> protocol. Since cordless mice are more common than thinkpads, I think the
> problem would be solved if it was with the mouse. So I am guessing the IBM
> defaults to just repeating standard ps/2 protocol, and you have to first
> trick that before you trick the mouse. Since it works in windows there IS a
> way...
>
> Where do I find the public available protocols, and the secrets? :)
>
> And for the list, who should I notify that I am working on autodetecting IBM
> thinkpad ps/2 repeaters in mouse driver?

Actually I'm interested in this work. We have input api drivers for PS/2
devices so it would be easy to add support. Any info would be helpfu to
expand the devices we support.

2001-07-25 18:02:30

by Arndt Schoenewald

Hi Allen,

I received your following message since James Simmons CC'd it to the
linuxconsole-dev mailing list:

> > However, some mouse secrets from various sources I hacked in here:
> > http://home.t-online.de/home/gunther.mayer/gm_psauxprint-0.01.c -
>
> Very nice. I am currently looking for some info to solve a problem with
> thinkpads and logitech cordless mice over ps/2. Basicly the wheel doesnt
> work. Looking closer they dont respond to the imps/2 or mousemanps/2
> protocol. Since cordless mice are more common than thinkpads, I think the
> problem would be solved if it was with the mouse. So I am guessing the IBM
> defaults to just repeating standard ps/2 protocol, and you have to first
> trick that before you trick the mouse. Since it works in windows there IS a
> way...
>
> Where do I find the public available protocols, and the secrets? :)
>
> And for the list, who should I notify that I am working on autodetecting IBM
> thinkpad ps/2 repeaters in mouse driver?

recently I spent a lot of time figuring out how to make a chordless wheel
mouse, which had two extra buttons on the left and on the right, work
on Linux with gpm and XFree86 4.0.3. The mouse was supposed to support
both the IntelliMouse and IntelliMouse Explorer protocol extensions,
but no matter which protocol selection I tried with gpm, the mouse would
stick in its 3 byte standard PS/2 mode. The same happened without gpm,
when I tried to use the mouse with XFree86's "ExplorerPS/2" setting.

After many hours of research I finally discovered why. The initialization
sequence used by both programs is not exactly what the mouse needs:

- XFree86's "ExplorerPS/2" setting sends an initialization sequence of
{ 243, 200, 243, 200, 243, 80 }. For this mouse, however, the sequence
must be { 243, 200, 243, 100, 243, 80, 243, 200, 243, 200, 243, 80 }.

- The initialization sequence used by gpm 1.19.3 includes the byte 246
which is meant to reset some mouse settings back to normal. However,
for this mouse, it also resets it to 3 byte standard PS/2 mode.

I already submitted a patch to the XFree86 team, but don't know whom to
contact for the gpm fix.

I hope this helps you with your mouse!
Arndt

PS1: A good reading for mouse related stuff is Adam Chapweske's page at
http://panda.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~achapwes/PICmicro/mouse/mouse.html.

PS2: FWIW, my mouse is a NEO AirView 405 RF, which is a OEM product sold
in Germany under multiple brand (at least Neolec, Typhoon, Dexxa) and
product names (see e.g. http://neolec.de/news/indexAirView405RF.html).

--
///// Quelltext AG -- Professional Software Services
// // Arndt Schoenewald <[email protected]>. CEO

2001-07-26 18:02:37

by Nico Schottelius

Erik Mouw wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 07:32:29PM +0200, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> > Have a look into the attached email before reading mine, please.
> >
> > Is it possible to find out about what those bytes are ?
> > And is it possible to intergrate the support for other
> > 3 bytes into the Linux kernel ?
>
> So they put information about four buttons in six bytes and call that
> proprietary? ROFL! How hard can it be? I think it will be fairly
> straight forward to reverse engineer the format, it can't be rocket
> science.
>
> Erik

Can you help me do that, Erik ?

Nico