2001-07-30 22:16:27

by Thomas Zehetbauer

Subject: tulip driver still broken

My genuine digital network interface card ceased to work with the tulip
driver contained in kernel revisions >= 2.4.4 and the development driver from
sourceforge.net.

It seems that the driver incorrectly configures the card for full duplex mode
and I could not figure out how to override this with the new MODULE_PARM
macro.

I am now using the stable driver 0.9.14 from sourceforge.net which works fine.

Further information available by request!

Tom

Quantum Mechanics is God's version of "Trust me."
--
T h o m a s Z e h e t b a u e r ( TZ251 )
PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Attachments:
(No filename) (648.00 B)
(No filename) (464.00 B)

by Joshua Schmidlkofer

Subject: Re: tulip driver still broken

I am afraid of post these days. However, I must comment that I too am having
trouble with the tulip driver, on several SMC nic's that use the DEC
chipset. I tried mii_tool, with no success.

I have just been copying the tulip driver from 2.4.4 forward... because I
don't have enough time to try and create an intelligent error report.

thanks,

joshua

On Monday 30 July 2001 04:19 pm, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> My genuine digital network interface card ceased to work with the tulip
> driver contained in kernel revisions >= 2.4.4 and the development driver
> from sourceforge.net.
>
> It seems that the driver incorrectly configures the card for full duplex
> mode and I could not figure out how to override this with the new
> MODULE_PARM macro.
>
> I am now using the stable driver 0.9.14 from sourceforge.net which works
> fine.
>
> Further information available by request!
>
> Tom
>
> Quantum Mechanics is God's version of "Trust me."

2001-07-30 23:09:58

by Jeff Garzik

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Joshua Schmidlkofer wrote:
> I am afraid of post these days. However, I must comment that I too am having
> trouble with the tulip driver, on several SMC nic's that use the DEC
> chipset. I tried mii_tool, with no success.
>
> I have just been copying the tulip driver from 2.4.4 forward... because I
> don't have enough time to try and create an intelligent error report.

Thanks for the report!

Currently there are problems with 21041 old chipsets, which include SMC
and several other cards. You can use 0.9.14 from
http://sf.net/projects/tulip/ until I get around to fixing it.

(off vacation, but now moving to new house w/ no Internet :))

Jeff

> On Monday 30 July 2001 04:19 pm, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> > My genuine digital network interface card ceased to work with the tulip
> > driver contained in kernel revisions >= 2.4.4 and the development driver
> > from sourceforge.net.
> >
> > It seems that the driver incorrectly configures the card for full duplex
> > mode and I could not figure out how to override this with the new
> > MODULE_PARM macro.
> >
> > I am now using the stable driver 0.9.14 from sourceforge.net which works
> > fine.

2001-07-30 23:30:10

by Michal Jaegermann

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 06:09:33PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Joshua Schmidlkofer wrote:
> > I am afraid of post these days. However, I must comment that I too am having
> > trouble with the tulip driver, on several SMC nic's that use the DEC
> > chipset. I tried mii_tool, with no success.
> >
> > I have just been copying the tulip driver from 2.4.4 forward... because I
> > don't have enough time to try and create an intelligent error report.
>
> Thanks for the report!
>
> Currently there are problems with 21041 old chipsets, which include SMC
> and several other cards.

Hm, I reported few times problems with DS21143 Tulip rev 65, which is
not exactly old, and with anything above tulip-0.9.14, and did not get
back even a half line acknowledment not mentioning annoucements of fixes.
I also posted mii-diag output from a card in working and not working
state.

I have to admit, though, that I did not test that really recently.
RSN...

Michal

2001-07-31 13:23:21

by Chris Friesen

How is the sourceforge driver different than the one at http://www.scyld.com?

--
Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557

2001-07-31 18:00:43

by Jeff Garzik

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> >
> > My genuine digital network interface card ceased to work with the tulip
> > driver contained in kernel revisions >= 2.4.4 and the development driver from
> > sourceforge.net.
>
> How is the sourceforge driver different than the one at http://www.scyld.com?

They are totally different, though they have a common origin.

Jeff