2001-10-01 16:47:41

by Chris Howells

Subject: linux-kernel-announce?

2001-10-01 16:57:21

by André Dahlqvist

Subject: Re: linux-kernel-announce?

Chris Howells <[email protected]> wrote:

> As a result of this, I tend not to find out about the latest kernel
> releases until a day or two later and I notice a story on Slashdot, or
> stumble on to kernel.org, and see the announcement there.

finger @zeus.kernel.org is your friend. It now also shows the latest -ac
kernel.
--

Andr? Dahlqvist <[email protected]>

2001-10-01 17:00:51

by Matti Aarnio

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 05:47:29PM +0100, Chris Howells wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any plans for a low volume list of announcements regarding the
> Linux kernel? For example, whenever Linus or Alan or whoever releases a
> kernel, I would find it very useful to be notified of this by e-mail, since
> I typically wish to run the latest stable Linux kernel that is available.

That is entirely up to the posters to post to that list.
If you look at:
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html

you will notice that linux-kernel-announce list actually exists,
and has 434 subscribers (or had when the HTML page was generated
less than 24 hours ago... -- it is generated once a day.)

So, announcements are thus requested to be posted ALSO
to linux-kernel-announce at vger.kernel.org

> Many thanks,
> - --
> Cheers, Chris Howells -- [email protected], [email protected]

/Matti Aarnio -- co-postmaster of vger.kernel.org

2001-10-01 17:51:53

by Petr Baudis

> So, announcements are thus requested to be posted ALSO
> to linux-kernel-announce at vger.kernel.org
Well, i didn't notice any announcement of e.g. 2.4.11pre1 nor here or
on linux-kernel-announce :-(. Sometimes :inus didn't announce these pre
at all, or just append changelog to some other mail, which is rather
messy and one can't track it easily. Obviously one can wrote a simple
perl script which will periodically finger vger and notify you (i saw
once one on freshmeat), but this is imho more convient and better way,
and you can even figure what changed and if there's a need for upgrade.
Vivat Alan (also) from this point of view ;-).

--

Petr "Pasky" Baudis
. .

2001-10-01 18:09:53

by Kent Borg

To find out about new kernels I suggest two techniques.

Low Time Requirement: Go to Linux Weekly News <http://lwn.net> at the
end of every week. They do a good summary of what is up in kernel
efforts.

Large Time Requirement: Read the kernel mailing list. Even if you
miss an announcement by Linus or Alan or Andrea et al, you will see
others making postings about every significant kernel.

-kb, the Kent who has taken to compiling most of the kernels that come
out.

2001-10-01 18:54:28

by Rob Landley

On Monday 01 October 2001 14:09, Kent Borg wrote:
> To find out about new kernels I suggest two techniques.
>
> Low Time Requirement: Go to Linux Weekly News <http://lwn.net> at the
> end of every week. They do a good summary of what is up in kernel
> efforts.
>
> Large Time Requirement: Read the kernel mailing list. Even if you
> miss an announcement by Linus or Alan or Andrea et al, you will see
> others making postings about every significant kernel.

Intermediate time requirement: go to groups.google.com, do an "advanced
search" for author "[email protected]". (Google bought the corpse of
deja news a few months back, that's where it went. Unfortunately the
linux-kernel list is fed in there at least twice under different names, so
you may want to limit the search to just one of the groups.)

Unfortunately the best thing you can say about google's list
threading/reading facilities is that they aren't as bad as they used to be...

linuxtoday.com also tends to cover most of the linus and alan kernel
releases, too...

And to find out information beyond the mere EXISTENCE of new kernel releases,
there's always kt.zork.net... :)

Rob

2001-10-01 19:48:12

by Mike Fedyk

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 05:47:29PM +0100, Chris Howells wrote:
> Are there any plans for a low volume list of announcements regarding the
> Linux kernel? For example, whenever Linus or Alan or whoever releases a
> kernel, I would find it very useful to be notified of this by e-mail, since I
> typically wish to run the latest stable Linux kernel that is available.
>
> Sure this information is available here on the main list, although I
> personally do not have the time (or to be honest, the inclanation) to be on
> this list. As a result of this, I tend not to find out about the latest
> kernel releases until a day or two later and I notice a story on Slashdot, or
> stumble on to kernel.org, and see the announcement there.

The problem with that, is that there is usually a reply to the announcement
that is helpful before you compile it. Many times there is even a small
patch (usually for pre or -ac kernels) that fixes some small oversight.

At the moment, if you want to run the latest kernel, you should be reading
this list.

2001-10-02 05:01:49

by Rob Landley

On Monday 01 October 2001 15:48, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 05:47:29PM +0100, Chris Howells wrote:
> > Are there any plans for a low volume list of announcements regarding the
> > Linux kernel? For example, whenever Linus or Alan or whoever releases a
> > kernel, I would find it very useful to be notified of this by e-mail,
> > since I typically wish to run the latest stable Linux kernel that is
> > available.
> >
> > Sure this information is available here on the main list, although I
> > personally do not have the time (or to be honest, the inclanation) to be
> > on this list. As a result of this, I tend not to find out about the
> > latest kernel releases until a day or two later and I notice a story on
> > Slashdot, or stumble on to kernel.org, and see the announcement there.
>
> The problem with that, is that there is usually a reply to the announcement
> that is helpful before you compile it. Many times there is even a small
> patch (usually for pre or -ac kernels) that fixes some small oversight.
>
> At the moment, if you want to run the latest kernel, you should be reading
> this list.

What people have wanted for a while is a high signal low noise condensed
new-kernel-news mailing list. The closest we have right now is the weekly
linux-kernel digests:kernel traffic at http://kt.zork.net, and the "kernel"
page of Linux weekly news http://lwn.net.

Now Alan Cox not only does a pretty good job of ac-release logs, but he has a
diary as well (http://www.linux.org.uk/diary). I'm unaware of being able to
get Alan's release announcements as read-only a mailing list, but I suppose
if somebody suggested the idea to him he might not be too opposed to it.
Good luck getting through his spam-blocker, though.

A little before the start of the 2.4 series, Linus started doing alan style
changelogs. They're often a bit vague ("merge with alan"), but much better
than nothing. I floated a proposal a while back to give Linus a better tool
for this that he might actually use*, but nothing's come of it. Larry McVoy
is trying to get a source code repository thing called BitKeeper up to
Linus's standards, but that's been going on for at least two years and isn't
ready yet...

The other major emerging fork seems to be Andrea Arcangelli's (the -aa
patches), but I haven't really been following it seperately. Andrea is VERY
good at about splitting patches out seperately on his web page, though. (I
don't know it off the top of my head, but Google could find Jimmy Hoffa given
half a chance, so try that.)

Hopefully 2.5 will be out by the end of 2003, at which point Alan will
probably inherit 2.4 maintenance. (Which VM we go with at that point is an
open question. :)

Rob

* The proposal was to feed Linus a patch application perl script. The way
linus applies patches is he saves email he likes to a big file, and then goes
patch -p1 < thebigfile at the end of an email reading session. The emails
themselves generally have some kind of description of the patch, as well as
the patches themselves seperated out into nice small chunks (Linus insists on
this).

So what we need really is a mailing list of just the emails Linus applies to
his tree, with the documentation in them. That's what the perl script would
do: break them back into seperate emails and mail them out to an otherwise
read-only list, in addition to calling patch on Linus's tree. This would be
REALLY nice in terms of people who want to keep granular CVS repositories,
too, and wouldn't be any extra work for Linus...

Does this sound like an idea to anybody else?

2001-10-02 05:27:10

by john slee

[ trimmed cc list ]

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 09:01:10PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> Now Alan Cox not only does a pretty good job of ac-release logs, but he has a
> diary as well (http://www.linux.org.uk/diary). I'm unaware of being able to
> get Alan's release announcements as read-only a mailing list, but I suppose
> if somebody suggested the idea to him he might not be too opposed to it.
> Good luck getting through his spam-blocker, though.

with a little procmail magic this can be done automatically from a
dedicated linux-kernel subscriber mailbox, but beware of loops and it
would be best to ask alan first ;-D

j.

--
R N G G "Well, there it goes again... And we just sit
I G G G here without opposable thumbs." -- gary larson

2001-10-02 07:21:16

by Russell King

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 09:01:10PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> Now Alan Cox not only does a pretty good job of ac-release logs, but he has a
> diary as well (http://www.linux.org.uk/diary). I'm unaware of being able to
> get Alan's release announcements as read-only a mailing list, but I suppose
> if somebody suggested the idea to him he might not be too opposed to it.

I did setup a list for this purpose on zenII, aka http://www.linux.org.uk.
See:

(the name was suggested by Alan).

All it needs are some subscribers and Alan to post release announcements
there. It is setup as a read-only list in as far as Alan is the only
person who is allowed to post to the list.

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by Chris Howells

2001-10-02 20:42:51

by Chris Howells

2001-10-02 20:42:51