2001-10-02 19:25:08

by Dax Kelson

Subject: ECN now on "Standards Track" RFC 3168

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3168.html

Firewall/Loadbalancing vendors and websites can no longer play the "we
don't support experimental protocols" card.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs

2001-10-02 20:15:58

by Hristo Grigorov

Subject: Re: ECN now on "Standards Track" RFC 3168

On Tuesday 02 October 2001 22:25, Dax Kelson wrote:
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3168.html
>
> Firewall/Loadbalancing vendors and websites can no longer play the "we
> don't support experimental protocols" card.

Screw the RFC!
If you try to follow them, you will find out that no1 follows them... :(

--
Regards, Hristo.

2001-10-02 20:26:12

by Dave Jones

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Hristo Grigorov wrote:

> > Firewall/Loadbalancing vendors and websites can no longer play the "we
> > don't support experimental protocols" card.
> Screw the RFC!
> If you try to follow them, you will find out that no1 follows them... :(

Which is exactly the attitude that the RFCs set out to counteract.
Because some vendors decide to get `creative' with their interpretation
of standards is no reason not to have them.

regards,

Dave.

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.suse.de/~davej
| SuSE Labs

2001-10-02 21:48:17

by Kurt Roeckx

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 01:25:11PM -0600, Dax Kelson wrote:

> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3168.html
>
> Firewall/Loadbalancing vendors and websites can no longer play the "we
> don't support experimental protocols" card.

Is there some site I can point people to with an overview of
vendors and updates?

Kurt

2001-10-02 21:56:38

by Dave Jones

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> Is there some site I can point people to with an overview of
> vendors and updates?

Jeff Garzik maintained a page at http://gtf.org/garzik/ecn/
but it was last updated back in April, so may not be completely
up to date with regards to some of the "unfixed" vendors.

regards,

Dave.

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.suse.de/~davej
| SuSE Labs

2001-10-02 22:08:00

by Randy.Dunlap

Dave Jones wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>
> > Is there some site I can point people to with an overview of
> > vendors and updates?
>
> Jeff Garzik maintained a page at http://gtf.org/garzik/ecn/
> but it was last updated back in April, so may not be completely
> up to date with regards to some of the "unfixed" vendors.

There's also ECN info at http://www.aciri.org/floyd/ecn.html .

~Randy