2001-10-03 13:23:28

by Juha Siltala

Subject: Past CREDITS files

Hi,

I would like to examine the CREDITS files of all/most kernels released over
time. How could I get my hands on these? I want to study the accumulation
of contributors over the years. This is part of my masters thesis project.

BTW, when was the current twofold stable/devel numbering scheme started?

| Juha Siltala | Mail:[email protected] |
| Maahisentie 2K A8 | Tel : +358 8 554 3591 |
| 90550 Oulu, Finland | GSM : +358 40 718 4743 |

2001-10-03 13:39:48

by Brian Gerst

Subject: Re: Past CREDITS files

Juha Siltala wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to examine the CREDITS files of all/most kernels released over
> time. How could I get my hands on these? I want to study the accumulation
> of contributors over the years. This is part of my masters thesis project.

Grab all the patches from kernel.org and look for the diffs to the
CREDITS file.

> BTW, when was the current twofold stable/devel numbering scheme started?

With the 1.0/1.1 kernels.

--

Brian Gerst

2001-10-04 01:47:45

by David Weinehall

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 04:22:17PM +0300, Juha Siltala wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to examine the CREDITS files of all/most kernels released over
> time. How could I get my hands on these? I want to study the accumulation
> of contributors over the years. This is part of my masters thesis project.
>
> BTW, when was the current twofold stable/devel numbering scheme started?

I don't think this will be very rewarding, as a lot of very important
contributors aren't listed in this file (if I remember correctly,
Alexander Viro, the guru of VFS-design, is one example, all the people
behind my all-time favourite project, the Standford-checker, is another
example), hence this file is pretty useless.

/David Weinehall
_ _
// David Weinehall <[email protected]> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

2001-10-04 02:22:57

by Robert Love

On Wed, 2001-10-03 at 21:47, David Weinehall wrote:
> > I would like to examine the CREDITS files of all/most kernels released over
> > time. How could I get my hands on these? I want to study the accumulation
> > of contributors over the years. This is part of my masters thesis project.
> >
> > BTW, when was the current twofold stable/devel numbering scheme started?
>
> I don't think this will be very rewarding, as a lot of very important
> contributors aren't listed in this file (if I remember correctly,
> Alexander Viro, the guru of VFS-design, is one example, all the people
> behind my all-time favourite project, the Standford-checker, is another
> example), hence this file is pretty useless.

Or MY favorite hacker, Ingo Molnar :)

Anyhow, the two-fold stable/devel system has been in effect since at
least 1.0, when we had 1.1->1.2 (then 1.3->2.0, 2.1->2.2, etc.)
Hopefully we can continue this tradition and have 2.5 start sometime!

Robert Love

2001-10-04 06:54:37

by Juha Siltala

On Thu, 04 Oct 2001 03:47:34 +0200
David Weinehall <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 04:22:17PM +0300, Juha Siltala wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to examine the CREDITS files of all/most kernels released
> over
> > time. How could I get my hands on these? I want to study the
> accumulation
> > of contributors over the years. This is part of my masters thesis
> project.
> >
> > BTW, when was the current twofold stable/devel numbering scheme
> started?
>
> I don't think this will be very rewarding, as a lot of very important
> contributors aren't listed in this file (if I remember correctly,
> Alexander Viro, the guru of VFS-design, is one example, all the people
> behind my all-time favourite project, the Standford-checker, is another
> example), hence this file is pretty useless.

Not to worry. It's not like my thesis is built around this data. It's just
to show that this is a collaborative project and that it's gotten bigger
over time. I'm not even studying Linux specifically - this is about the
Hacker Ethic and free software in the Castellian big picture of the Network
Society.
--
| Juha Siltala | Mail:[email protected] |
| Maahisentie 2K A8 | Tel : +358 8 554 3591 |
| 90550 Oulu, Finland | GSM : +358 40 718 4743 |

2001-10-04 07:35:54

by Geert Uytterhoeven

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, David Weinehall wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 04:22:17PM +0300, Juha Siltala wrote:
> > I would like to examine the CREDITS files of all/most kernels released over
> > time. How could I get my hands on these? I want to study the accumulation
> > of contributors over the years. This is part of my masters thesis project.
> >
> > BTW, when was the current twofold stable/devel numbering scheme started?
>
> I don't think this will be very rewarding, as a lot of very important
> contributors aren't listed in this file (if I remember correctly,
> Alexander Viro, the guru of VFS-design, is one example, all the people
> behind my all-time favourite project, the Standford-checker, is another
> example), hence this file is pretty useless.

So it would be better to search for names in the full sources. I admit that's
not to simple. Email adresses would be simpler but suffers from the same
problem as the CREDITS file.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds

Robert Love <[email protected]> writes:

>Anyhow, the two-fold stable/devel system has been in effect since at
>least 1.0, when we had 1.1->1.2 (then 1.3->2.0, 2.1->2.2, etc.)
>Hopefully we can continue this tradition and have 2.5 start sometime!

Personally, I'd consider 2.4 -> 2.9 -> 3.0

Regards
Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH [email protected]

Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 [email protected]
D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

2001-10-04 09:35:19

by Ville Herva

Subject: Stanford checker [was Re: Past CREDITS files]

David Weinehall <[email protected]> wrote:

> (...) my all-time favourite project, the Standford-checker (...)

Speaking of which, has anybody planned to run it on 2.2 (or 2.0 ;) ) code
base? I mean, while 2.2 is not that interesting development wise, it is
still the more stable series and running checker on it might reveal even
security bugs...

-- v --

by Horst H. von Brand

"Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <[email protected]> said:
> Robert Love <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >Anyhow, the two-fold stable/devel system has been in effect since at
> >least 1.0, when we had 1.1->1.2 (then 1.3->2.0, 2.1->2.2, etc.)
> >Hopefully we can continue this tradition and have 2.5 start sometime!
>
> Personally, I'd consider 2.4 -> 2.9 -> 3.0

What are the earthshattering changes you foresee that would suggest going
for 3.0?
--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand Usuario #22616 counter.li.org

by David Weinehall

Subject: Re: Stanford checker [was Re: Past CREDITS files]

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 12:35:14PM +0300, Ville Herva wrote:
> David Weinehall <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > (...) my all-time favourite project, the Standford-checker (...)
>
> Speaking of which, has anybody planned to run it on 2.2 (or 2.0 ;) ) code
> base? I mean, while 2.2 is not that interesting development wise, it is
> still the more stable series and running checker on it might reveal even
> security bugs...

I don't know, but I for one would be enormously grateful if anyone
ran it on the v2.0.39 tree.

/David Weinehall
_ _
// David Weinehall <[email protected]> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

2001-10-04 22:02:15

by Alan

> I would like to examine the CREDITS files of all/most kernels released over
> time. How could I get my hands on these? I want to study the accumulation
> of contributors over the years. This is part of my masters thesis project.

Download all the kernels. Be aware they are
- Wildly inaccurate
- Started becoming accurate later on
- Were subject to significant external effects (the RH IPO
caused people to massively update/send in new CREDIT entries)

They still represent a tiny subset of contributors. Especially the thousands
who send in the odd small patch

> BTW, when was the current twofold stable/devel numbering scheme started?

See my historical mail archive.
http://www.linux.org.uk/Old-LK/Old-linux-kernel

Its in there somewhere 8)