2001-10-05 09:01:25

by Ian Stirling

Subject: Odd keyboard related crashes.

I'm running 2.4.10, and the ps/2 keyboard came out of it's socket.

On plugging back in, all worked fine, until 10 seconds later there was a
crash. (the keyboard worked after being plugged in)
No oops, just a reboot.
Thinking this must just have been a wierd coincidence, after the system
came back up, I tried it again, and again it crashed a few seconds afterwards.

It doesn't seem to want to do this again though.

2001-10-05 09:27:01

by Thomas Foerster

Subject: Re: Odd keyboard related crashes.

> I'm running 2.4.10, and the ps/2 keyboard came out of it's socket.

> On plugging back in, all worked fine, until 10 seconds later there was a
> crash. (the keyboard worked after being plugged in)
> No oops, just a reboot.
> Thinking this must just have been a wierd coincidence, after the system
> came back up, I tried it again, and again it crashed a few seconds afterwards.

> It doesn't seem to want to do this again though.

That's not a linux related problem, its a hardware problem.

I have the same thing happen with a Windows 2000 box.
Whenever i plug out the keyboard while the system is running and plugging it in
again, the system reboots.
It's the only system i can reproduce the problem, all other Linux boxes
(whatever kernel is running) run stable when playing with the keyboard.

Thomas

2001-10-05 14:39:53

by Nicholas Berry

>>> Ian Stirling <[email protected]> 10/05/01 05:01AM >>>
>I'm running 2.4.10, and the ps/2 keyboard came out of it's socket.

>On plugging back in, all worked fine, until 10 seconds later there was a
>crash. (the keyboard worked after being plugged in)
>No oops, just a reboot.
>Thinking this must just have been a wierd coincidence, after the system
>came back up, I tried it again, and again it crashed a few seconds afterwards.

>It doesn't seem to want to do this again though.

When the keyboard is powered up (or plugged in), it goes through a self test, and reports the status back to the PC. Normally, a start up dialogue takes place between the PC and the keyboard at this point.
That's fine when you boot your PC, but if you unplug then re-plug the keyboard, the PC will be sent data it's really not expecting, and the BIOS will be very confused.
If you ever want to switch a keyboard between PCs, make sure you leave power supplied to it at all times.

2001-10-05 21:25:24

by Ian Stirling

> >I'm running 2.4.10, and the ps/2 keyboard came out of it's socket.
>
> >On plugging back in, all worked fine, until 10 seconds later there was a
> >crash. (the keyboard worked after being plugged in)
> >No oops, just a reboot.
<snip>
> When the keyboard is powered up (or plugged in), it goes through a self =
> test, and reports the status back to the PC. Normally, a start up dialogue =
> takes place between the PC and the keyboard at this point.
> That's fine when you boot your PC, but if you unplug then re-plug the =
> keyboard, the PC will be sent data it's really not expecting, and the BIOS =
> will be very confused.

I should have said.
Both times this happened, the keyboard was working fine after being
plugged in, correctly recognising 30 or so keypresses before the crash.

It happened ~10 seconds after the keyboard was plugged in, with the
system and keyboard remaining functional, with no keyboard related messages
sysloged (remote syslog, so I'm sure), which is why I suspect it may
not be hardware.

2001-10-07 20:42:17

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> >I'm running 2.4.10, and the ps/2 keyboard came out of it's socket.
>
> >On plugging back in, all worked fine, until 10 seconds later there was a
> >crash. (the keyboard worked after being plugged in)
> >No oops, just a reboot.
> >Thinking this must just have been a wierd coincidence, after the system
> >came back up, I tried it again, and again it crashed a few seconds afterwards.
>
> >It doesn't seem to want to do this again though.
>
> When the keyboard is powered up (or plugged in), it goes through a self test, and reports the status back to the PC. Normally, a start up dialogue takes place between the PC and the keyboard at this point.
> That's fine when you boot your PC, but if you unplug then re-plug the keyboard, the PC will be sent data it's really not expecting, and the BIOS will be very confused.
> If you ever want to switch a keyboard between PCs, make sure you leave power supplied to it at all times.

BIOS is not alive enough at the time linux boots. This can't be BIOS
issue.
Pavel
--
I'm [email protected]. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at [email protected]

2001-10-08 15:29:26

by ebiederman

Pavel Machek <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi!

> > >I'm running 2.4.10, and the ps/2 keyboard came out of it's socket.
> >
> > >On plugging back in, all worked fine, until 10 seconds later there was a
> > >crash. (the keyboard worked after being plugged in)
> > >No oops, just a reboot.
> > >Thinking this must just have been a wierd coincidence, after the system
> > >came back up, I tried it again, and again it crashed a few seconds
> afterwards.
>

> > >It doesn't seem to want to do this again though.
> >
> > When the keyboard is powered up (or plugged in), it goes through a self test,
> and reports the status back to the PC. Normally, a start up dialogue takes place
> between the PC and the keyboard at this point.
>
> > That's fine when you boot your PC, but if you unplug then re-plug the
> keyboard, the PC will be sent data it's really not expecting, and the BIOS will
> be very confused.
>
> > If you ever want to switch a keyboard between PCs, make sure you leave power
> supplied to it at all times.
>

> BIOS is not alive enough at the time linux boots. This can't be BIOS
> issue.

Unless the BIOS has some weird power management issues, then it may be almost
impossible to kill. I had one machine once where the BIOS misreported
it's memory usage, and there wasn't an option to disable power
management. Then the BIOS and the kernel were both using the top of
memory and weird things happened.

That being said I have seen at least one machine where there was a
crash with hot plugging the keyboard and at the time I figured it was
simply bad hardware that couldn't handle it for some reason.

And unless a BIOS is doing something really strange it shouldn't
touch the keyboard after linux is going.

Eric

2001-10-08 16:21:16

by Ian Stirling

> Pavel Machek <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Hi!

I should possibly have mentioned that APM is enabled on this machine,
but no suspend/standby had been done, it's only for use in power-cuts
when I want to minimise draw from the UPS batteries.
The machine is an athlon desktop.

I'll see if I can reproduce this with 2.4.11, 2.4.10 is utterly unusable
for me. (totally insane swapping out causing things to get killed on
significant reading.

2001-10-09 10:48:55

by Nicholas Berry

>>> Ian Stirling <[email protected]> 10/08/01 12:21PM >>>
>
> Pavel Machek <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Hi!

>I should possibly have mentioned that APM is enabled on this machine,
> but no suspend/standby had been done, it's only for use in power-cuts
> when I want to minimise draw from the UPS batteries.
> The machine is an athlon desktop.

> I'll see if I can reproduce this with 2.4.11, 2.4.10 is utterly unusable
> for me. (totally insane swapping out causing things to get killed on
> significant reading.

I think you'll find it with any kernel. I still think this is normal behaviour. Unplugging the keyboard is fine, and should break nothing. Plugging it back it should not work. I guess I could try it on my machine here at work, but I'm not going to ;-).

2001-10-09 16:28:42

by James Simmons

> Unplugging the keyboard is fine, and should break nothing. Plugging it
> back it should not work.

With my input PS/2 I can easly plug in and out with no problem.

2001-10-09 18:02:39

by Daniel Egger

Am Die, 2001-10-09 um 18.28 schrieb 1002644917:

> With my input PS/2 I can easly plug in and out with no problem.

Watch out, this may break your port(s).

--
Servus,
Daniel