2001-10-05 20:48:48

by Adam J. Richter

Subject: linux-2.4.11-pre4/drivers/mtd/bootldr.c does not compile

Attempting to compile linux-2.4.11-pre4/drivers/mtd/bootldr.c
fails with a bunch of compiler errors, including a complaint that
"struct tag" is not defined anywhere. Presumably this is the result
of an incompletely applied patch.

Reverting drivers/mtd/bootldr.c to the linux-2.4.11-pre3
version makes it compile without problems.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
[email protected] \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

2001-10-05 22:17:22

by Russell King

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 01:48:42PM -0700, Adam J. Richter wrote:
> Attempting to compile linux-2.4.11-pre4/drivers/mtd/bootldr.c
> fails with a bunch of compiler errors, including a complaint that
> "struct tag" is not defined anywhere. Presumably this is the result
> of an incompletely applied patch.

Firstly, its ARM only. Secondly, Compaq decided that a partition table in
flash isn't a good idea, so they're passing it from the boot loader, which
is a set of tagged lists.

Unfortunately, they haven't even sent me a patch to add the entries into
the ARM tree, so even I have to reverse this from my MTD update. ;(

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by Mike Castle

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 11:17:32PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> Firstly, its ARM only. Secondly, Compaq decided that a partition table in

Can it be set up so that the MTD stuff only shows up for ARM and not for
x86?

mrc
--
Mike Castle [email protected] http://www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/
We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan. -- Watchmen

by Russell King

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 04:44:08PM -0700, Mike Castle wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 11:17:32PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > Firstly, its ARM only. Secondly, Compaq decided that a partition table in
>
> Can it be set up so that the MTD stuff only shows up for ARM and not for
> x86?

It's setup that way in the latest MTD CVS tree. Hopefully, it should be
sync'd to Linus/Alan pretty soon (I think Alan already has it actually).

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by Eyal Lebedinsky

Russell King wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 01:48:42PM -0700, Adam J. Richter wrote:
> > Attempting to compile linux-2.4.11-pre4/drivers/mtd/bootldr.c
> > fails with a bunch of compiler errors, including a complaint that
> > "struct tag" is not defined anywhere. Presumably this is the result
> > of an incompletely applied patch.
>
> Firstly, its ARM only. Secondly, Compaq decided that a partition table in

Not so. I got this error on i386. I used 'make oldconfig' and was
offered
some new options in the JFFS2 area (which I always accept, just to check
the build).

--
Eyal Lebedinsky ([email protected]) <http://samba.anu.edu.au/eyal/>

2001-10-06 08:26:45

by Russell King

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 11:45:00AM +1000, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> > Firstly, its ARM only. Secondly, Compaq decided that a partition table in
>
> Not so.

I meant bootldr.c is ARM only, not the error.

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by Erik Mouw

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 11:17:32PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 01:48:42PM -0700, Adam J. Richter wrote:
> > Attempting to compile linux-2.4.11-pre4/drivers/mtd/bootldr.c
> > fails with a bunch of compiler errors, including a complaint that
> > "struct tag" is not defined anywhere. Presumably this is the result
> > of an incompletely applied patch.
>
> Firstly, its ARM only. Secondly, Compaq decided that a partition table in
> flash isn't a good idea, so they're passing it from the boot loader, which
> is a set of tagged lists.

Did you ever get a motivation on why they want to pass it from the boot
loader? It sounds like a particularly bad idea to me.

We can't allocate memory in the tagged list parser so you need to have
it statically allocated in the kernel. That means that there is a
maximum number of partitions, or that we're wasting memory if we don't
use all partition table entries. This can of course be (partly) solved
by putting the partition table in the __initdata section, but in that
case you can't use the partition data if you have the MTD subsystem as
modules.

I wonder what was wrong with the previous solution where the kernel
just read the partition table directly from flash? If the bootloader
can read the partition table, why can't the kernel?

Erik

Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635 Fax: +31-15-2781843 Email: [email protected]

by Russell King

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 12:00:15PM +0200, Erik Mouw wrote:
> Did you ever get a motivation on why they want to pass it from the boot
> loader? It sounds like a particularly bad idea to me.

See Jamey Hicks mail on linux-arm-kernel of the 24th September.

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by David Woodhouse

[email protected] said:
> It's setup that way in the latest MTD CVS tree. Hopefully, it should
> be sync'd to Linus/Alan pretty soon (I think Alan already has it
> actually).

Alan has it, yes. The patch to fix it was sent to Linus yesterday morning.

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0110.0/0974.html

--
dwmw2

2001-10-06 11:35:45

by Erik Mouw

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 11:18:29AM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 12:00:15PM +0200, Erik Mouw wrote:
> > Did you ever get a motivation on why they want to pass it from the boot
> > loader? It sounds like a particularly bad idea to me.
>
> See Jamey Hicks mail on linux-arm-kernel of the 24th September.

Hmm, I missed that one. I'll followup on linux-arm-kernel.