2001-10-06 20:05:24

by Patrick Allaire

Subject: Bad memory ... reservation !

Hi all,

I am currently working on a small embedded gaming box wich run linux ... but
I have a small problem. We have a demo to give on tuesday and the box isnt
booting pass the kernel, we have found for sure that this is due to an
hardware bug of the second bank of memory. We have 16MB of memory in the box
... is there a way to reserve the 4-8MB so linux des not try to go there.
Since this is an hardware bug, we will have to redo our silicons, but they
wont be ready for this week...

what the best way to tell linux to jump over this bad memory ? command line
? hack in the mm ?

I am using kernel 2.4.9.

thank you all.
Patrick Allaire
mailto:[email protected]
If you can see it, but it's not there, it's virtual.
If you can't see it, but it is there, it's hidden.
It you can't see it and it isn't there, it's gone.

2001-10-06 20:52:01

by Martin Josefsson

Subject: Re: Bad memory ... reservation !

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Patrick Allaire wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am currently working on a small embedded gaming box wich run linux ... but
> I have a small problem. We have a demo to give on tuesday and the box isnt
> booting pass the kernel, we have found for sure that this is due to an
> hardware bug of the second bank of memory. We have 16MB of memory in the box
> ... is there a way to reserve the 4-8MB so linux des not try to go there.
> Since this is an hardware bug, we will have to redo our silicons, but they
> wont be ready for this week...
>
> what the best way to tell linux to jump over this bad memory ? command line
> ? hack in the mm ?
>
> I am using kernel 2.4.9.

You might be able to use the BadRAM patches from
http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/

/Martin

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

2001-10-10 04:43:17

by Andres Salomon

FYI, the badram stuff seems to have moved to http://badmem.sourceforge.net/.
The latest kernel patch there is against 2.4.10.

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 10:52:05PM +0200, Martin Josefsson wrote:
[...]
> You might be able to use the BadRAM patches from
> http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/
>
> /Martin
>
> Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
>
> -

"Any OS is only as good as its admin, and you obviously suck."
-- Ian Gulliver, http://orbz.org/mail/mansunix.txt