2001-10-25 02:24:13

by Dale Amon

Subject: Defaulting new questions in scripts/Configure?

I've just skimmed through the code in Configure to
see if there is a way to make it shut up and just
default everything new to NO so I can use it inside
a noninteractive script.

Did I miss it or is it something that isn't there
to be found?

I think I'd not be the only one to find it useful
to make it be seen and not heard during a
make oldconfig :-)

Use Linux: A computer Dale Amon, CEO/MD
is a terrible thing Village Networking Ltd
to waste. Belfast, Northern Ireland

by Alexander Viro

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Dale Amon wrote:

> I've just skimmed through the code in Configure to
> see if there is a way to make it shut up and just
> default everything new to NO so I can use it inside
> a noninteractive script.
>
> Did I miss it or is it something that isn't there
> to be found?

yes

2001-10-25 13:06:23

by Dale Amon

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 12:59:22PM +0200, Gert-Jan Rodenburg wrote:
> On Thursday 25 October 2001 04:27, Dale Amon wrote:
> > I've just skimmed through the code in Configure to
> > see if there is a way to make it shut up and just
> > default everything new to NO so I can use it inside
> > a noninteractive script.
> >
> > Did I miss it or is it something that isn't there
> > to be found?
> >
> > I think I'd not be the only one to find it useful
> > to make it be seen and not heard during a
> > make oldconfig :-)
>

> no "" | make oldconfig
>
> Not sure if it works, but in the Linux From Scratch manual they do the
> oposite -> yes "" | make config

Jonathan Morton suggested the yes is the answer
as well. I tested both out and diffed against one
done manually. no seems to just die, yes does just
the right thing.

Thanks much to all who replied.

Use Linux: A computer Dale Amon, CEO/MD
is a terrible thing Village Networking Ltd
to waste. Belfast, Northern Ireland

by Gert-Jan Rodenburg

On Thursday 25 October 2001 15:09, Dale Amon wrote:

> > > Did I miss it or is it something that isn't there
> > > to be found?
> > >
> > > I think I'd not be the only one to find it useful
> > > to make it be seen and not heard during a
> > > make oldconfig :-)
> >
> > no "" | make oldconfig
> >
> > Not sure if it works, but in the Linux From Scratch manual they do the
> > oposite -> yes "" | make config
>
> Jonathan Morton suggested the yes is the answer
> as well. I tested both out and diffed against one
> done manually. no seems to just die, yes does just
> the right thing.
>
> Thanks much to all who replied.

Euhm, my fault.

yes n "" | make config should work.

*note to self -> next time, check before sending in 'hints'n'tips *

Gr.

Gert-Jan