2001-10-30 12:30:34

by Terry Kendal

Subject: no shared memory?

hello,

after upgrading my computer to newer distro with kernel series 2.4 ive found
something i have question about
issuing free or top commands shows 0kb of shared memory

how is that possible ?
i have apache and mysql running, thought they'd use shared memory?

i recompiled procps package with no effect

can someone please xplain it to me ?

thanx in advance,
terry

2001-10-30 12:43:05

by Martín Marqués

Subject: Re: no shared memory?

On Mar 30 Oct 2001 09:37, Terry Kendal wrote:
> hello,
>
> after upgrading my computer to newer distro with kernel series 2.4 ive
> found something i have question about
> issuing free or top commands shows 0kb of shared memory
>
> how is that possible ?
> i have apache and mysql running, thought they'd use shared memory?

Use 'ipcs' for searching shared memory and semaphores of aplications.

> i recompiled procps package with no effect
>
> can someone please xplain it to me ?

It seems dificult to calculate the amount of shared memory used, and for what
I know, useless.
Anyway, I heard that Alan Cox's release of 2.4.13 has some code to show the
shared memory used, but only the one used my applications.

Saludos... :-)

--
Porqu? usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si pod?s usar PostgreSQL?

by Bartłomiej Dolata

thanx to everyone who answered, even those with dull answers

best regards,
terry