2001-11-18 03:59:20

by Norberto Bensa

Subject: tmpfs?

Hello,

I've configured my kernel (2.4.13-ac8) to use tmpfs, but it seems that it
only uses half my physical memory (64 of 128MB).

>From Configure/help
/*
Tmpfs is a file system which keeps all files in virtual memory.

In contrast to RAM disks, which get allocated a ficed aount of physical
RAM, tmps grows and shrinks to accommodate the files it contains and is able
to swap unneeded pages out to swap space.
*/

Well, it doesn't grows, neither shrinks, but maybe it's only me because I'm
a newbie with this. How does tmpfs works, and how do I configure it
correctly.

Thank you in advance,
Norberto

2001-11-18 11:01:08

by Jose Luis Domingo Lopez

Subject: Re: tmpfs?

On Sunday, 18 November 2001, at 00:56:37 -0300,
Norberto Bensa wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've configured my kernel (2.4.13-ac8) to use tmpfs, but it seems that it
> only uses half my physical memory (64 of 128MB).

tmpfs as any other filesystem has mount time options. Check:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-fs3.html

--
Jos? Luis Domingo L?pez
Linux Registered User #189436 Debian Linux Woody (P166 64 MB RAM)

jdomingo EN internautas PUNTO org => ? Spam ? Atente a las consecuencias
jdomingo AT internautas DOT org => Spam at your own risk

2001-11-19 07:30:15

by Christoph Rohland

Hi Norberto,

,----[ Configure.help ]
| Virtual memory file system support
| CONFIG_TMPFS

[...]

| You can set limits for the number of blocks and inodes used by the
| filesystem with the mount options "size", "nr_blocks" and
| "nr_inodes". These parameters accept a suffix k, m or g for kilo,
| mega and giga and can be changed on remount.
|
| The initial permissions of the root directory can be set with the
| mount option "mode".
`----

So the configure help gives you the answer: Use the size mount
option.

Greetings
Christoph