2001-11-20 01:27:17

by Steve Kieu

Subject: Strange HD light with 2.2.19

Hi,

I saw strange thing in my friend computer, ; that is
the HD (hard disk) light lits all the times. Is it
normal behavior? Is it safe for the hard disk?

It is a Pentium S 100Mhz CPU, and PIIX3 disk
controller. This doesn't happen if I use 2.4.12-ac2
and I believe the same for all 2.4.x. But with 2.2.19
it doesn't happen like that in my machine (PIIX4)

Pls cc me as I am off the list.

Thanks

=====
S.KIEU

http://shopping.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Shopping
- Get organised for Christmas early this year!

2001-11-20 10:22:51

by Steve Kieu

Subject: Re: Strange HD light with 2.2.19

> is there a difference in disk performance running
> 2.4 and
> 2.2 on this machine ?

I did not perform any test ; but I _feel_that_ it is
the same or almost the same. I prefer 2.2.19 for that
machine as this one has only 16Mb RAM; and 2.4.12-ac2
is thrashing to death when only running netscape, but
2.2.19 is fine.

> i think 2.2 isn't properly setting the DMA mode of
> the PIIX3, you might want to try something like
> hdparm -c3 -d1 /dev/hda

I will try tomorow when my friend is online ; we are
100Km away ... :-)

=====