2001-11-23 08:53:49

by Robert P. J. Day

Subject: is 2.4.15 really available at www.kernel.org?

i just tried to download linux-2.4.15.tar.bz2 and, far from being a 22M
new kernel, it's a 155312 byte file that i suspect is really just a patch
file, so i suspect someone mislabelled the link there. any hints?

rday

2001-11-23 09:29:27

by Keith Owens

Subject: Re: is 2.4.15 really available at www.kernel.org?

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 03:58:34 -0500 (EST),
rpjday <[email protected]> wrote:
> i just tried to download linux-2.4.15.tar.bz2 and, far from being a 22M
>new kernel, it's a 155312 byte file that i suspect is really just a patch
>file, so i suspect someone mislabelled the link there. any hints?

Works for me.

-rw-r--r-- 1 kaos ocs 23748963 Nov 23 17:39 linux-2.5.0.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 kaos ocs 248 Nov 23 17:39 linux-2.5.0.tar.bz2.sign

2001-11-23 09:37:07

by Robert P. J. Day

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Keith Owens wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 03:58:34 -0500 (EST),
> rpjday <[email protected]> wrote:
> > i just tried to download linux-2.4.15.tar.bz2 and, far from being a 22M
> >new kernel, it's a 155312 byte file that i suspect is really just a patch
> >file, so i suspect someone mislabelled the link there. any hints?
>
> Works for me.
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 kaos ocs 23748963 Nov 23 17:39 linux-2.5.0.tar.bz2
> -rw-r--r-- 1 kaos ocs 248 Nov 23 17:39 linux-2.5.0.tar.bz2.sign

you're referring to the 2.5.0 kernel, i'm talking about the 2.4.15
kernel.

i swear, i am not making this up. i just tried again, through mozilla,
to download the file
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.15.tar.bz2, and it
completed after downloading *exactly* 155312 bytes, just as before.

getting it via ftp works fine -- it's http that's giving me this
weird problem. is it just me?

rday

2001-11-23 09:44:27

by Jochen Striepe

Hi,

On 23 Nov 2001, rpjday <[email protected]> wrote:

> i swear, i am not making this up. i just tried again, through mozilla,
> to download the file
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.15.tar.bz2, and it
> completed after downloading *exactly* 155312 bytes, just as before.
>
> getting it via ftp works fine -- it's http that's giving me this
> weird problem. is it just me?

Getting it via http using wget worked fine here:

-rw------- 1 jochen users 23747061 Nov 23 07:18 /tmp/linux-2.4.15.tar.bz2

I am *much* more irritated by:

$ uname -r
2.4.15-greased-turkey

So long,

Jochen.

--
Think of the mess on the carpet. Sensible people do all their
demon-summoning in the garage, which you can just hose down afterwards.

2001-11-23 09:47:07

by Christian Haugan Toldnes

rpjday <[email protected]> writes:

> i swear, i am not making this up. i just tried again, through mozilla,
> to download the file
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.15.tar.bz2, and it
> completed after downloading *exactly* 155312 bytes, just as before.
>
> getting it via ftp works fine -- it's http that's giving me this
> weird problem. is it just me?
>
> rday

I experienced no problems at all:
(first one with ftp, second with mozilla)

23747061 Nov 23 07:18 linux-2.4.15.tar.bz2
23747061 Nov 23 10:45 linux-2.4.15.tar.bz2-2

chr

--
Christian H. Toldnes

2001-11-23 09:49:47

by Rik van Riel

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Jochen Striepe wrote:

> I am *much* more irritated by:
>
> $ uname -r
> 2.4.15-greased-turkey

Would you really have preferred 2.4.15-sitting-duck ?

cheers,

Rik
--
Shortwave goes a long way: irc.starchat.net #swl

by Oliver Neukum

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Jochen Striepe wrote:
>
> > I am *much* more irritated by:
> >
> > $ uname -r
> > 2.4.15-greased-turkey
>
> Would you really have preferred 2.4.15-sitting-duck ?

speedful-penguin ?

Regards
Oliver

2001-11-23 10:22:20

by Robert P. J. Day

On 23 Nov 2001, Christian Haugan Toldnes wrote:

> rpjday <[email protected]> writes:
>

> > i swear, i am not making this up. i just tried again, through mozilla,
> > to download the file
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.15.tar.bz2, and it
> > completed after downloading *exactly* 155312 bytes, just as before.
> >
> > getting it via ftp works fine -- it's http that's giving me this
> > weird problem. is it just me?
> >
> > rday
>
> I experienced no problems at all:
> (first one with ftp, second with mozilla)
>
> 23747061 Nov 23 07:18 linux-2.4.15.tar.bz2
> 23747061 Nov 23 10:45 linux-2.4.15.tar.bz2-2

then i'm just plain baffled. using mozilla, i've tried downloading both
2.4.15 and 2.5.0, from the main http://www.kernel.org page, and from the kernel
subpage. in *every* case, the download window starts off fine with
"0K of 28716K", so it knows the right size at the beginning.

the download progresses until it reads 115K of ...K, there is a several
second pause, a brief flurry of activity, and the download terminates.
in *every* case, the final downloaded file is 155312 bytes long.

as i said, i can ftp just fine, but it sure is puzzling me why mozilla
is doing this.

ok, i'll shut up now.

rday

2001-11-23 10:34:10

by Flavio Stanchina

On Friday 23 November 2001 10:43, Jochen Striepe wrote:

> I am *much* more irritated by:
>
> $ uname -r
> 2.4.15-greased-turkey

So I guess you are vegetarian. Try changing to "2.4.15-tasteful-salad".

--
Ciao,
Flavio Stanchina

"The best defense against logic is ignorance."
http://spazioweb.inwind.it/fstanchina/

2001-11-23 12:31:37

by Stefan Smietanowski

Hi.

> then i'm just plain baffled. using mozilla, i've tried downloading both
> 2.4.15 and 2.5.0, from the main http://www.kernel.org page, and from the kernel
> subpage. in *every* case, the download window starts off fine with
> "0K of 28716K", so it knows the right size at the beginning.
>
> the download progresses until it reads 115K of ...K, there is a several
> second pause, a brief flurry of activity, and the download terminates.
> in *every* case, the final downloaded file is 155312 bytes long.
>
> as i said, i can ftp just fine, but it sure is puzzling me why mozilla
> is doing this.
>
> ok, i'll shut up now.

Just to be on the safe side,m you're not out of disk space are you ? :))

// Stefan

2001-11-23 13:25:22

by Robert P. J. Day

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Stefan Smietanowski wrote:

> Just to be on the safe side,m you're not out of disk space are you ? :))

not even close -- still 2.5 G to go under /home.

rday

2001-11-23 16:05:30

by Michael H. Warfield

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 11:33:38AM +0100, Flavio Stanchina wrote:
> On Friday 23 November 2001 10:43, Jochen Striepe wrote:
>
> > I am *much* more irritated by:
> >
> > $ uname -r
> > 2.4.15-greased-turkey

> So I guess you are vegetarian. Try changing to "2.4.15-tasteful-salad".

Point is that it BROKE some things.... Like "make install" on
RedHat installed the damn thing as /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.15-greased-turkey,
breaking the lilo settings if you set an image for "vmlinuz-2.4.15"
like you expected it to be. Not funny. Just had three freeswan
kinstall builds blow up because of that.

Now got to go back and fix it and rebuild.

> --
> Ciao,
> Flavio Stanchina
> Trento - Italy

> "The best defense against logic is ignorance."
> http://spazioweb.inwind.it/fstanchina/

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | [email protected]
/\/\|=mhw=|\/\/ | (678) 463-0932 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/

2001-11-23 16:28:14

by Jeff Garzik

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> Point is that it BROKE some things.... Like "make install" on
> RedHat installed the damn thing as /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.15-greased-turkey,
> breaking the lilo settings if you set an image for "vmlinuz-2.4.15"
> like you expected it to be. Not funny. Just had three freeswan
> kinstall builds blow up because of that.

Life is rough...

Jeff

2001-11-23 16:30:14

by kees

Hi

Is it possible that the _temporary_ file is on another filesystem which
is low in space?

Kees

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, rpjday wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Stefan Smietanowski wrote:
>
> > Just to be on the safe side,m you're not out of disk space are you ? :))
> >

> not even close -- still 2.5 G to go under /home.
>
> rday
>
> -

by Michael H. Warfield

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 08:30:06AM -0500, rpjday wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Stefan Smietanowski wrote:

> > Just to be on the safe side,m you're not out of disk space are you ? :))
> >

> not even close -- still 2.5 G to go under /home.

Mozilla downloads to a temporary directory before saving it.
Could you be low on space in /?

> rday

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | [email protected]
/\/\|=mhw=|\/\/ | (678) 463-0932 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471 | possible worlds. A pessimist is sure of it!

2001-11-23 17:25:56

by Michael H. Warfield

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 10:27:45AM -0600, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > Point is that it BROKE some things.... Like "make install" on
> > RedHat installed the damn thing as /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.15-greased-turkey,
> > breaking the lilo settings if you set an image for "vmlinuz-2.4.15"
> > like you expected it to be. Not funny. Just had three freeswan
> > kinstall builds blow up because of that.

> Life is rough...

Yes, this is true. Rough enough as it is. As one of the (minor)
device driver maintainers, I expect to test some of these versions (some
of which may be unexpectedly radioactive) as quick as I can and I keep
backs so my systems can be booted when a new version is unbootable (very
rare now days, thankfully). This did NOT help that cause. Making life
MORE difficult is not the way to get people to TEST things.

> Jeff

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | [email protected]
/\/\|=mhw=|\/\/ | (678) 463-0932 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471 | possible worlds. A pessimist is sure of it!

2001-11-23 19:19:45

by Stephen Frost

* Michael H. Warfield ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 10:27:45AM -0600, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > > Point is that it BROKE some things.... Like "make install" on
> > > RedHat installed the damn thing as /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.15-greased-turkey,
> > > breaking the lilo settings if you set an image for "vmlinuz-2.4.15"
> > > like you expected it to be. Not funny. Just had three freeswan
> > > kinstall builds blow up because of that.

Uh, so don't make assumptions on what the kernel rev. is going
to be? It's not that hard to figure it out from the Makefile.

Stephen

Attachments:
(No filename) (645.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by J Sloan

Stephen Frost wrote:

> * Michael H. Warfield ([email protected]) wrote:
> >
> Uh, so don't make assumptions on what the kernel rev. is going
> to be? It's not that hard to figure it out from the Makefile.
>
> Stephen

Or, better yet, a quick glance at /lib/modules?

cu

jjs

2001-11-23 20:11:21

by Ross Vandegrift

> then i'm just plain baffled. using mozilla, i've tried downloading both
> 2.4.15 and 2.5.0, from the main http://www.kernel.org page, and from the kernel
> subpage. in *every* case, the download window starts off fine with
> "0K of 28716K", so it knows the right size at the beginning.

Turn your MTU down to 1490, maybe smaller. There is a broken TCP/IP stack
or switch between you and kernel.org.

Ross Vandegrift

by Kristofer T. Karas

rpjday wrote:

> [...]http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.15.tar.bz2, and it
> completed after downloading *exactly* 155312 bytes, just as before.
>
> getting it via ftp works fine -- it's http that's giving me this
> weird problem. is it just me?

You probably have a proxy server in your path that doesn't re-request partially-sent
files. I have your problem too, using squid-cache as the proxy. Here's what
happens:

The http server (kernel.org) sends the file to the proxy, which sends it to you. But
because the net connection from kernel.org to the proxy is faster than it is from
proxy to you, the tcp window between proxy and kernel.org goes to zero. When it
opens up again, kernel.org closes the connection even though the file is only
partially received. The proxy, failing to detect that the file is smaller than the
Content-Length header said it would be, simply sends the truncated contents your
way.

I "fixed" this bug by using 'wget' to retrieve the files for me. It has the same
problem, obtaining a truncated file; but it is smart enough to re-request missing
byte-ranges of the file, ultimately obtaining the entire thing.

Kris

2001-11-23 21:08:46

by Mike Fedyk

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 11:05:05AM -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 11:33:38AM +0100, Flavio Stanchina wrote:
> > On Friday 23 November 2001 10:43, Jochen Striepe wrote:
> >
> > > I am *much* more irritated by:
> > >
> > > $ uname -r
> > > 2.4.15-greased-turkey
>
> > So I guess you are vegetarian. Try changing to "2.4.15-tasteful-salad".
>
> Point is that it BROKE some things.... Like "make install" on
> RedHat installed the damn thing as /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.15-greased-turkey,
> breaking the lilo settings if you set an image for "vmlinuz-2.4.15"
> like you expected it to be. Not funny. Just had three freeswan
> kinstall builds blow up because of that.
>
> Now got to go back and fix it and rebuild.

OMFG!

How can you *not* point to the /boot/vmlinuz symlink?!!! It points directly
to the latest kernel. And, /boot/vmlinuz.old points to the previous kernel.

Here are some examples: This is *just too simple*!!!

Lilo:
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=vmlinuz
read-only
# restricted
alias=1

image=/boot/vmlinuz.old
label=vmlinuz-old
read-only
optional
append="single"
# restricted
alias=3

Grub:
title Debian GNU/Linux, Latest Kernel
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended

title Debian GNU/Linux, Latest Kernel (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro single vga=extended

title Debian GNU/Linux, Previous Kernel
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended

title Debian GNU/Linux, Previous Kernel (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/hda1 ro single vga=extended

2001-11-23 23:54:35

by Michael H. Warfield

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 01:08:20PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 11:05:05AM -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> > > So I guess you are vegetarian. Try changing to "2.4.15-tasteful-salad".
> >
> > Point is that it BROKE some things.... Like "make install" on
> > RedHat installed the damn thing as /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.15-greased-turkey,
> > breaking the lilo settings if you set an image for "vmlinuz-2.4.15"
> > like you expected it to be. Not funny. Just had three freeswan
> > kinstall builds blow up because of that.
> >
> > Now got to go back and fix it and rebuild.

> OMFG!

> How can you *not* point to the /boot/vmlinuz symlink?!!! It points directly
> to the latest kernel. And, /boot/vmlinuz.old points to the previous kernel.

Clue alert...

The PRIMARY link goes to vmlinuz. The backup links go to the
specific versions (the install script even facilitates this for you
by installing it there). That way, when you end up with a radioactive
version, you can boot your prior version and recover from the disaster.

> Here are some examples: This is *just too simple*!!!

I typically keep 4 to six fall back versions in each of the
2.2 and 2.4 lines active and want (or occasionally need) to target specific
versions, especially when I'm testing preX kernels and my device driver.
You are way TOO simple.

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | [email protected]
/\/\|=mhw=|\/\/ | (678) 463-0932 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471 | possible worlds. A pessimist is sure of it!

2001-11-24 01:14:54

by H. Peter Anvin

Followup to: <[email protected]>
By author: Ross Vandegrift <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> > then i'm just plain baffled. using mozilla, i've tried downloading both
> > 2.4.15 and 2.5.0, from the main http://www.kernel.org page, and from the kernel
> > subpage. in *every* case, the download window starts off fine with
> > "0K of 28716K", so it knows the right size at the beginning.
>
> Turn your MTU down to 1490, maybe smaller. There is a broken TCP/IP stack
> or switch between you and kernel.org.

I was just going to ask... is there a problem with either (a) Path MTU
Discovery or (b) Explicit Congestion Notification?

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <[email protected]>

2001-11-24 12:49:01

by kaih

[email protected] (Michael H. Warfield) wrote on 23.11.01 in <[email protected]>:

> I typically keep 4 to six fall back versions in each of the
> 2.2 and 2.4 lines active and want (or occasionally need) to target specific
> versions, especially when I'm testing preX kernels and my device driver.
> You are way TOO simple.

I keep more (though I really don't need that many) ... and I *do* add text
to kernel names myself.

So I wrote a (very quick-and-dirty) little Perl script. Maybe a variant of
that works for other people, too.

Features: label is (hopefully sensibly) shortened image name. Also, a
number is used as an alias; it's easier to select "1" than some lengthy
string. Kernels are (hopefully) sorted chronologically (this doesn't work
if EXTRAVERSION starts with a letter).

WARNING: this makes some assumptions about my system. You need to adapt
that part.

WARNING: the sort routine only works on a Debian system. If you live on
something else, adapt the sorter.

The script asks before overwriting your lilo.conf and keeps backups, so
you have a chance of looking at the result and tweaking the script before
committing to it.

License: public domain.

make-lilo.conf.pl:
#! /usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

open LILO, "> /etc/lilo.conf.gen" or die $!;
print LILO <<headend;
# LILO configuration created by $0 @{[scalar localtime]}

linear
boot = /dev/sda
compact
delay = 100 # optional, for systems that boot very quickly
#vga = normal # force sane state
vga = ask
root = current # use "current" root
#root = /dev/sdc1
#other = /dev/sda1
# table = /dev/sda
# label = dos

headend

my $sorter = sub {
my ($aa, $bb) = ($a, $b);
$aa =~ tr/+/-/;
$bb =~ tr/+/-/;
$aa eq $bb? 0:
system('/usr/bin/dpkg', '--compare-versions', $aa, 'lt', $bb)? -1: 1;
};

opendir BOOT, "/boot/" or die $!;
my @kernels = sort $sorter grep m/linu/i, readdir BOOT;
close BOOT;

my $n = 0;

for my $kernel (@kernels) {
my ($version) = ($kernel =~ m/^[-a-z]*(.*)$/);
$version =~ s/.*(.{15})$/$1/ if length($version) > 15;
$n++;
if ($n > 9) {
print "Ignoring $kernel ($n)\n";
next;
}
print LILO <<imageend;

image = /boot/$kernel
label = $version
alias = $n
append = " hisax=3,2,10, "

imageend
}

close LILO;

system('/bin/mv', '-vib', '/etc/lilo.conf.gen', '/etc/lilo.conf');

system('/sbin/lilo');

MfG Kai

2001-11-24 13:36:17

by Keith Owens

On 24 Nov 2001 12:01:00 +0200,
[email protected] (Kai Henningsen) wrote:
>[email protected] (Michael H. Warfield) wrote on 23.11.01 in <[email protected]>:
>> I typically keep 4 to six fall back versions in each of the
>> 2.2 and 2.4 lines active and want (or occasionally need) to target specific
>> versions, especially when I'm testing preX kernels and my device driver.
>> You are way TOO simple.
>
>I keep more (though I really don't need that many) ... and I *do* add text
>to kernel names myself.
>
>So I wrote a (very quick-and-dirty) little Perl script. Maybe a variant of
>that works for other people, too.

kbuild 2.5 has standard support for running user specific install
scripts after installing the bootable kernel and modules. That is, the
"update my bootloader" phase can be automated and will propagate from
one .config to the next when you make oldconfig.

bool 'Run a post-install script or command' CONFIG_INSTALL_SCRIPT
if [ "$CONFIG_INSTALL_SCRIPT" = "y" ]; then
string ' Post-install script or command name' CONFIG_INSTALL_SCRIPT_NAME ""
fi

$(CONFIG_INSTALL_SCRIPT_NAME) is run with several environment variables
set, including the kernel release. There is a sample install script in
scripts/lilo_new_kernel which will satisfy most people, if not you can
copy and edit it to suit.

#!/bin/sh
#
# This is a sample script to add a new kernel to /etc/lilo.conf. If it
# does not do what you want, copy this script to somewhere outside the
# kernel, change the copy and point your .config at the modified copy.
# Then you do not need to change the script when you upgrade your kernel.
#

label=$(echo "$KERNELRELEASE" | cut -c1-15)
if ! grep "label=$label\$" /etc/lilo.conf > /dev/null
then
ed /etc/lilo.conf > /dev/null 2>&1 <<EODATA
/^image/
image=$CONFIG_INSTALL_PREFIX_NAME$CONFIG_INSTALL_KERNEL_NAME
label=$label
optional

.
EODATA
if [ ! $? ]
then
echo edit of /etc/lilo.conf failed
exit 1
fi
fi
lilo

2001-11-24 13:58:10

by Christoph Hellwig

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
> kbuild 2.5 has standard support for running user specific install
> scripts after installing the bootable kernel and modules. That is, the
> "update my bootloader" phase can be automated and will propagate from
> one .config to the next when you make oldconfig.

Never 2.4 kernels already try to excecute ~/bin/installkernel in the
'make install' pass on i386.

My personal tip for people keeping lots of kernels around is grub, though.
No need for a menu entry, one can just boot all kernel on the accessible
filesystems.

Together with the above "~/bin/installkernel" option I put my kernels always
into /lib/modules/<version>/vmlinux so I can find them easily (IMHO this
should be default in 2.5), so even lilo-using people could write simple
scripts to add all kernels present in /lib/modules/ to their config.
This does of course make the path '/lib/modules/' grossly misnamed, maybe
we could change it into /kernel in 2.5 :)

Christoph

by H. Peter Anvin

Followup to: <[email protected]>
By author: Christoph Hellwig <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
> > kbuild 2.5 has standard support for running user specific install
> > scripts after installing the bootable kernel and modules. That is, the
> > "update my bootloader" phase can be automated and will propagate from
> > one .config to the next when you make oldconfig.
>
> Never 2.4 kernels already try to excecute ~/bin/installkernel in the
> 'make install' pass on i386.

Or you can just put in your /sbin/installkernel:

if [ -x $HOME/bin/installkernel ]; then
exec $HOME/bin/installkernel "$@"
fi

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <[email protected]>

2001-11-24 23:58:35

by Keith Owens

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 14:56:18 +0100,
Christoph Hellwig <[email protected]> wrote:
>In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
>> kbuild 2.5 has standard support for running user specific install
>> scripts after installing the bootable kernel and modules. That is, the
>> "update my bootloader" phase can be automated and will propagate from
>> one .config to the next when you make oldconfig.
>
>Never 2.4 kernels already try to excecute ~/bin/installkernel in the
>'make install' pass on i386.

I know. kbuild 2.5 goes further and gives the user a choice about
(a) whether to run a script on install and (b) what the script name is,
instead of hard coding it.

>Together with the above "~/bin/installkernel" option I put my kernels always
>into /lib/modules/<version>/vmlinux so I can find them easily (IMHO this
>should be default in 2.5)

Architecture dependent. In kbuild 2.5 for most architectures the
default location for the kernel, System.map and .config is in
/lib/modules.

string 'Where to install the kernel' CONFIG_INSTALL_KERNEL_NAME "/lib/modules/KERNELRELEASE/vmlinuz"
bool 'Install System.map' CONFIG_INSTALL_SYSTEM_MAP
if [ "$CONFIG_INSTALL_SYSTEM_MAP" = "y" ]; then
string ' Where to install System.map' CONFIG_INSTALL_SYSTEM_MAP_NAME "/lib/modules/KERNELRELEASE/System.map"
fi
bool 'Install .config' CONFIG_INSTALL_CONFIG
if [ "$CONFIG_INSTALL_CONFIG" = "y" ]; then
string ' Where to install .config' CONFIG_INSTALL_CONFIG_NAME "/lib/modules/KERNELRELEASE/.config"
fi

Users with special requirements (old BIOS, small /lib etc.) can
configure their install to put the kernel where they like. At least
one architecture (ia64) mandates that bootable images live in a
separate partition, the firmware on ia64 requires this, so the default
for vmlinuz is different.

string 'Where to install the kernel' CONFIG_INSTALL_KERNEL_NAME "/boot/efi/vmlinuz-KERNELRELEASE"

>so even lilo-using people could write simple
>scripts to add all kernels present in /lib/modules/ to their config.
>This does of course make the path '/lib/modules/' grossly misnamed, maybe
>we could change it into /kernel in 2.5 :)

I was tempted, but the number of things that would break ... shudder.

2001-11-25 00:41:48

by Cameron Simpson

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 07:48:13AM -0200, Rik van Riel <[email protected]> wrote:
| On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Jochen Striepe wrote:
| > I am *much* more irritated by:
| > $ uname -r
| > 2.4.15-greased-turkey
|
| Would you really have preferred 2.4.15-sitting-duck ?

Given what just happened with inode caches in 2.4.15, maybe more apt :-(
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743 [email protected] http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Ride to not crash. Dress to crash. Live to ride to not crash again.
- Lawrence Smith, DoD#i, [email protected]

2001-11-25 10:15:34

by Mike Fedyk

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 06:54:07PM -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 01:08:20PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> > > Point is that it BROKE some things.... Like "make install" on
> > > RedHat installed the damn thing as /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.15-greased-turkey,
> > > breaking the lilo settings if you set an image for "vmlinuz-2.4.15"
> > > like you expected it to be. Not funny. Just had three freeswan
> > > kinstall builds blow up because of that.
> > >
> > > Now got to go back and fix it and rebuild.
>
> > OMFG!
>
> > How can you *not* point to the /boot/vmlinuz symlink?!!! It points directly
> > to the latest kernel. And, /boot/vmlinuz.old points to the previous kernel.
>
> Clue alert...
>
> The PRIMARY link goes to vmlinuz. The backup links go to the
> specific versions (the install script even facilitates this for you
> by installing it there). That way, when you end up with a radioactive
> version, you can boot your prior version and recover from the disaster.

Lets see...

/boot/vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.15-pre7
/boot/vmlinuz.old -> vmlinuz-2.4.15-pre7.old

That looks like new, and old to me...

> > Here are some examples: This is *just too simple*!!!
>
> I typically keep 4 to six fall back versions in each of the
> 2.2 and 2.4 lines active and want (or occasionally need) to target specific
> versions, especially when I'm testing preX kernels and my device driver.
> You are way TOO simple.

$ ls /boot|grep -c vmlinuz
39

All right...

I sortened my answer to fix your specific problem, but grub is working great
for this too...

There's also a nice util provided by the debian grub package that keeps this
up to date. All you have to do is modify your shutdown scripts, or modify
/sbin/installkernel

My response was terse, I admit. I must ask you though, why were you
complaining about boot loader settings that you say is already setup
correctly?

/boot/grub/menu.lst:
# By default, boot the first entry after five seconds.
default 0
timeout 5

# Pretty colours
color cyan/blue white/blue

#
# examples
#
# title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader +1
#
# title Linux
# root (hd0,1)
# kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
#

title Debian GNU/Linux, Latest Kernel
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended

title Debian GNU/Linux, Latest Kernel (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro single vga=extended

title Debian GNU/Linux, Previous Kernel
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended

title Debian GNU/Linux, Previous Kernel (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz.old root=/dev/hda1 ro single vga=extended

# rootflags=data=journal
### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
# lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
# by the debian update-grub script except for the default optons below
# DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

# ## Start Default Options ##
# default kernel options
# kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended
# default grub root device
# groot=(hd0,0)
# default should update-grub add recovery options to menu
# recovery=true
# ## End Default Options ##

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p8+elevator
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p8+elevator root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p8+elevator (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p8+elevator root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p8
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p8 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p8 (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p8 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+xsched+elevator
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+xsched+elevator root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+xsched+elevator (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+xsched+elevator root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+ext3_0.9.14-2414p8+elevator+preempt-p7
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+ext3_0.9.14-2414p8+elevator+preempt-p7 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+ext3_0.9.14-2414p8+elevator+preempt-p7 (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+ext3_0.9.14-2414p8+elevator+preempt-p7 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+elevator+preempt-p7+xsched
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+elevator+preempt-p7+xsched root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+elevator+preempt-p7+xsched (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre8+netdev_random-p7+elevator+preempt-p7+xsched root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5+netdev_random.old
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5+netdev_random.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5+netdev_random.old (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5+netdev_random.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5+netdev_random
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5+netdev_random root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5+netdev_random (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre7+xsched+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5+netdev_random root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre6+xsched
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre6+xsched root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre6+xsched (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre6+xsched root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre6+preempt+netdev_random+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre6+preempt+netdev_random+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre6+preempt+netdev_random+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5 (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre6+preempt+netdev_random+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre6+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre6+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre6+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5 (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre6+ext3_0.9.14-2414p5 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre6
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre6 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-pre6 (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-pre6 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-ext3-2.4-0.9.14-2414p8
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-ext3-2.4-0.9.14-2414p8 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14-ext3-2.4-0.9.14-2414p8 (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14-ext3-2.4-0.9.14-2414p8 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.14 (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.14 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.13freeswan-1.91+ac5+preempt+netdev_random+vm_freeswap
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.13freeswan-1.91+ac5+preempt+netdev_random+vm_freeswap root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.13freeswan-1.91+ac5+preempt+netdev_random+vm_freeswap (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.13freeswan-1.91+ac5+preempt+netdev_random+vm_freeswap root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.12-ac5+acct-entropy+preempt+netdev-ramdom+vm-free-swapcache.old
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.12-ac5+acct-entropy+preempt+netdev-ramdom+vm-free-swapcache.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.12-ac5+acct-entropy+preempt+netdev-ramdom+vm-free-swapcache.old (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.12-ac5+acct-entropy+preempt+netdev-ramdom+vm-free-swapcache.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.12-ac5+acct-entropy+preempt+netdev-ramdom+vm-free-swapcache
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.12-ac5+acct-entropy+preempt+netdev-ramdom+vm-free-swapcache root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.12-ac5+acct-entropy+preempt+netdev-ramdom+vm-free-swapcache (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.12-ac5+acct-entropy+preempt+netdev-ramdom+vm-free-swapcache root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.12-ac3+netdev_ramdom+preempt+vm_hogstop2.old
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.12-ac3+netdev_ramdom+preempt+vm_hogstop2.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.12-ac3+netdev_ramdom+preempt+vm_hogstop2.old (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.12-ac3+netdev_ramdom+preempt+vm_hogstop2.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.12-ac3+netdev_ramdom+preempt+vm_hogstop2+account-rand-cleanup
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.12-ac3+netdev_ramdom+preempt+vm_hogstop2+account-rand-cleanup root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.12-ac3+netdev_ramdom+preempt+vm_hogstop2+account-rand-cleanup (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.12-ac3+netdev_ramdom+preempt+vm_hogstop2+account-rand-cleanup root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.12-ac3+netdev_ramdom+preempt+vm_hogstop2
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.12-ac3+netdev_ramdom+preempt+vm_hogstop2 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.12-ac3+netdev_ramdom+preempt+vm_hogstop2 (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.12-ac3+netdev_ramdom+preempt+vm_hogstop2 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac11+smp+preempt+vm_hogstop.old
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac11+smp+preempt+vm_hogstop.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac11+smp+preempt+vm_hogstop.old (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac11+smp+preempt+vm_hogstop.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac11+smp+preempt+vm_hogstop
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac11+smp+preempt+vm_hogstop root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac11+smp+preempt+vm_hogstop (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac11+smp+preempt+vm_hogstop root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac10-smp-preempt.old
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac10-smp-preempt.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac10-smp-preempt.old (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac10-smp-preempt.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac10-smp-preempt
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac10-smp-preempt root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac10-smp-preempt (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac10-smp-preempt root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac10
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac10 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac10 (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac10 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac4.old
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac4.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac4.old (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac4.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac4
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac4 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac4 (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac4 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac3
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac3 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.10-ac3 (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.10-ac3 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.2.20pre10_raid-2219A1_ext3-007a_eide-05042001
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20pre10_raid-2219A1_ext3-007a_eide-05042001 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.2.20pre10_raid-2219A1_ext3-007a_eide-05042001 (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20pre10_raid-2219A1_ext3-007a_eide-05042001 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.2.19.old
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.2.19.old (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19.old root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.2.19
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.2.19 (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=extended rootflags=data=journal single

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

Attachments:
(No filename) (16.02 kB)
update-grub (9.70 kB)

by kaih

[email protected] (Keith Owens) wrote on 25.11.01 in <[email protected]>:

> On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 14:56:18 +0100,
> Christoph Hellwig <[email protected]> wrote:

> >so even lilo-using people could write simple
> >scripts to add all kernels present in /lib/modules/ to their config.
> >This does of course make the path '/lib/modules/' grossly misnamed, maybe
> >we could change it into /kernel in 2.5 :)
>
> I was tempted, but the number of things that would break ... shudder.

Just put a symlink there?

MfG Kai