2001-11-24 01:00:14

by John Summerfield

Subject: EXTRAVERSION =-greased-turkey

Very funny.

Now, can we return to leaving that for the user/vendor in future releases?

Please?

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

2001-11-24 01:07:45

by Russell King

Subject: Re: EXTRAVERSION =-greased-turkey

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 08:59:37AM +0800, ISP Client wrote:
> Now, can we return to leaving that for the user/vendor in future releases?

I'd suggest reading a linux-kernel or an archive site, and pulling Al Viro's
2nd patch for 2.4.15 inode.c problems.

2.4.15 has the potential to corrupt your filesystems slightly on reboot.
Al provides a safe method to reboot without this corruption, but it will
still be a good idea to force a fsck on boot, using:

shutdown -F -r now

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by M. Edward Borasky

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Russell King wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 08:59:37AM +0800, ISP Client wrote:
> 2.4.15 has the potential to corrupt your filesystems slightly on reboot.
> Al provides a safe method to reboot without this corruption, but it will
> still be a good idea to force a fsck on boot, using:
>
> shutdown -F -r now

*Slightly* corrupt? Isn't that like being *a little* pregnant? :-)

--
[email protected] (M. Edward Borasky) http://www.aracnet.com/~znmeb
Relax! Run Your Own Brain with Neuro-Semantics!

How to Stop A Folksinger Cold # 4
"Tie me kangaroo down, sport..."
Tie your own kangaroo down -- and stop calling me "sport"!

2001-11-24 12:14:39

by Rik van Riel

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, ISP Client wrote:

> Very funny.
>
> Now, can we return to leaving that for the user/vendor in future releases?
>
> Please?

user/vendor releases are made by the distributions, not
by Linus/Alan/Marcelo (who release developer versions) ;)

regards,

Rik
--
Shortwave goes a long way: irc.starchat.net #swl

by Jeff Garzik

Russell King wrote:
> 2.4.15 has the potential to corrupt your filesystems slightly on reboot.
> Al provides a safe method to reboot without this corruption, but it will
> still be a good idea to force a fsck on boot, using:
>
> shutdown -F -r now

Or,

touch /forcefsck

--
Jeff Garzik | Only so many songs can be sung
Building 1024 | with two lips, two lungs, and one tongue.

2001-11-24 21:54:31

by John Summerfield

[email protected] said:
> 2.4.15 has the potential to corrupt your filesystems slightly on
> reboot.

Thanks to those who wrote suggesting this greased turkey doesn't fly.
It's back to .13 for me.

Fortunately I hadn't actually rebooted.