2001-11-27 21:40:48

Subject: PATCH: 2 small patches against 2.4.15-pre6 (sym2 + email change) (fwd)

G?rard.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 19:06:28 +0100 (CET)
From: G?rard Roudier <[email protected]>
To: Linus Torvalds <[email protected]>
Cc: Alan Cox <[email protected]>
Subject: PATCH: 2 small patches against 2.4.15-pre6 (sym2 + email change)

Linus,

I have attached 2 small patches against linux-2.4.15-pre6 to this email.

roudier-email-for-2.4.15-pre6.patch:
This patch changes my email address in CREDITS, MAINTAINERS and
old sym53c8xx and ncr53c8xx drivers related files. It also bumps
Copyright up to year 2001 for these driver files.

sym-2.1.17-for-2.4.15-pre6.patch:
This patch is the result of the feed-back I got after the inclusion of
sym-2 into the main kernel stream. It fixes notably a couple of harmless
warnings. The only significant change applies to the allocation of
a 256 entries hash lists array that is now allocated separately from the
host data structure. This was needed on PPC64 / 4 KB page size, for the
driver not to try to allocate more than 1 PAGE at a time.

Thanks in advance for including these changes in next kernel release.

Regards,
G?rard.

Attachments:
roudier-email-for-2.4.15-pre6.patch (7.30 kB)
sym-2.1.17-for-2.4.15-pre6.patch (2.87 kB)

by christophe barbe

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 07:46:13PM +0100, G?rard Roudier wrote:

> By the way, I missed the postings that made you the maintainer of 2.4
> kernel neither saw any comments from Alan about. I am sure that you will
> do the best you can and will do a very good work, but I feel a bit
> frustrated not to know the reasons of this decision. If you can point me
> to the corresponding articles, I will be very interested in.

This link should be fine for you :

http://advogato.org/article/370.html

Christophe

Attachments:
(No filename) (514.00 B)
(No filename) (241.00 B)

by Mike Fedyk

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 11:38:59PM +0100, christophe barb? wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 07:46:13PM +0100, G?rard Roudier wrote:
> >
> > By the way, I missed the postings that made you the maintainer of 2.4
> > kernel neither saw any comments from Alan about. I am sure that you will
> > do the best you can and will do a very good work, but I feel a bit
> > frustrated not to know the reasons of this decision. If you can point me
> > to the corresponding articles, I will be very interested in.
>
> This link should be fine for you :
>
> http://advogato.org/article/370.html

This doesn't really show *why* he was chosen. Marcello hasn't gotten much
press in the past.

Yes, it does look like a big change from the outside. Even for LKML readers
;)

MF

2001-11-28 22:35:43

by Gérard Roudier

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, christophe barb? wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 07:46:13PM +0100, G?rard Roudier wrote:
> >
> > By the way, I missed the postings that made you the maintainer of 2.4
> > kernel neither saw any comments from Alan about. I am sure that you will
> > do the best you can and will do a very good work, but I feel a bit
> > frustrated not to know the reasons of this decision. If you can point me
> > to the corresponding articles, I will be very interested in.
>
> This link should be fine for you :
>
> http://advogato.org/article/370.html

Thanks a lot.
It is exactly the kind of article I was looking for.

G?rard.

2001-11-30 16:05:57

by Marcelo Tosatti

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, G?rard Roudier wrote:

> Hi Marcelo,

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I saved this mail to my pending list... :)

> I didn't see these patches applied by previous kernel maintainer, neither
> received any ack nor nack about from. You may let me know if something
> gets wrong with them. Btw, I have another one after those ones.
>
> Note that I am used of the "no news means bad news" when patches for linux
> development are in concern, but I guess that I am not the only guy who
> will be glad if usual good practice of "no news means good news" would
> also apply there. Let me hope that this will be changed as it has been
> with 2.0 and 2.2 kernel maintainance. :)
>
> By the way, I missed the postings that made you the maintainer of 2.4
> kernel neither saw any comments from Alan about. I am sure that you will
> do the best you can and will do a very good work, but I feel a bit
> frustrated not to know the reasons of this decision. If you can point me
> to the corresponding articles, I will be very interested in.

Well, basically, it seems Alan got tired of maintenance... :)

You can take a look at Alan's diary for more stuff.

> Thanks to people who tried, did or are doing Linux kernel maintainance as
> I think that maintainance is a very important process at least as
> important as development (I want to write a lot more, in fact...).
>
> Good luck and TIA.

About the two patches you mention, can you please send me them ?

2001-12-01 19:11:52

by Gérard Roudier

Subject: PATCH: 2 small patches against 2.4.17-pre2 (sym2 + email change)

Hi Marcelo,

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, G?rard Roudier wrote:
>
> Sorry for the delay, I saved this mail to my pending list... :)

No problem, Marcelo and thanks very much for the reply.

I just switched to your 2.4.17-pre2 kernel and updated my patches
accordingly (attached).

Here is the log of sym-2 driver changes (patch #2):

* version sym-2.1.17
- Fix a couple of gcc/gcc3 warnings.
- Allocate separately from the HCB the array for CCBs hashed by DSA.
All driver memory allocations are now not greater than 1 PAGE
even on PPC64 / 4KB PAGE surprising setup.

* version sym-2.1.17a
- Use u_long instead of U32 for the IO base cookie. This is more
consistent with what archs are expecting.
- Use MMIO per default for Power PC instead of some fake normal IO,
as Paul Mackerras stated that MMIO works fine now on this arch.

There are no real fixes. Most changes are conveniences for PPCs.

The patch #1 that updates my email address is more important since my old
email address will be no longer valid in a couple of weeks. This patch
also adds an entry in MAINTAINERS, btw.

[...]

> Well, basically, it seems Alan got tired of maintenance... :)

This may well have happened between linux-2.4.9 and linux-2.4.10. :)

> You can take a look at Alan's diary for more stuff.

Will do, thanks. But in fact, I just wanted to read something from Alan
about the maintainance baton being passed to you and I have been supplied
an URL that fitted just fine.

Regards,
G?rard.

Attachments:
roudier-email-for-linux-2.4.17-pre2.patch (7.30 kB)
sym-2.1.17a-for-linux-2.4.17-pre2.patch (5.30 kB)

by Jeff Garzik

G?rard Roudier wrote:
> * version sym-2.1.17a
> - Use u_long instead of U32 for the IO base cookie. This is more
> consistent with what archs are expecting.

Well... if you want to speak of style, no arch uses 'u_long'... rather
they use 'unsigned long' :)

--
Jeff Garzik | Only so many songs can be sung
Building 1024 | with two lips, two lungs, and one tongue.

2001-12-01 20:43:42

by Gérard Roudier

On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> G?rard Roudier wrote:
> > * version sym-2.1.17a
> > - Use u_long instead of U32 for the IO base cookie. This is more
> > consistent with what archs are expecting.
>
> Well... if you want to speak of style, no arch uses 'u_long'... rather
> they use 'unsigned long' :)

I don't at any mailing list that has something to do with programming. :)

G?rard.

PS: This email should not have gone to the list. I missed to remove the
LKML from the cc.