2001-12-04 16:29:13

by Mark Mokryn

Subject: Docs on PC disk partition tables?

Does anyone know of docs describing the PC disk partition tables, MBR
format, etc?

Thanks,
-Mark

2001-12-04 17:01:54

by Randy.Dunlap

Subject: Re: Docs on PC disk partition tables?

Try http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/

--
~Randy

2001-12-04 22:07:03

by Guest section DW

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 06:28:44PM +0200, Mark Mokryn wrote:
> Does anyone know of docs describing the PC disk partition tables, MBR
> format, etc?

I am not at home, and not near a Linux machine, I think,
so instead of giving an URL, let me give you an algorithm.

Look for my name (Andries Brouwer) in the kernel MAINTAINERS list.
If I recall correctly that entry has a few web references,
maybe one on Zip drives and partitioning, or maybe one on
large disks, and probably also one with the docs you are looking for.
If none of the given URLs is good enough, look around a bit more at
http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux or so.

Andries

2001-12-05 05:03:59

by Ian Duggan

> Does anyone know of docs describing the PC disk partition tables, MBR
> format, etc?

This page has information about all sorts of good things, including
partition tables, MBR, etc...

http://www.nondot.org/sabre/os/articles

--Ian