2001-12-06 18:05:44

by Mateusz Łoskot

Subject: Strange problem with 2.4.x kernel

Hello,
I'm writing first time to you, so let me say HELLO !

I installed Slackware 8.0 month ago, it is my firewall with NAT (iptables).
I have two kernels: 2.2.19 and 2.4.5 - this is my default kernel.
Everything went fine but three days ago I tried to compile some 2.4.x kernel (2.4.0, 2.4.4, 2.4.5, ...., 2.4.12, 2.4.16).
I went to ftp.kernel.org and got some kernels (zipped and bzipped)
(transfered in BINARY mode, not ASCII).
So the problem is:
When I tried to gunzip or bunzip2 any ftp'd kernel I got terrible ;) message:

invalid compressed data: CRC-ERROR

...whats going on, I thought...

I know that it is possible to broke archives by ftp'd in ASCII mode, but as I
said I ftp's kernels in BINARY mode, so it isn't the reason.
I have some kernels on cdrom's and I got the same problem during trying gunzip or bunzip2 kernel (2.4.x).
I tested to gunzip or bunzip2 2.2.x kernels
(from cdrom or ftp'd in binary mode) and everything works fine.
So, it is possible that any 2.4.x kernel is broken ?
I'm sure that isn't !

So, I tried to find some information about CRC-ERROR's by google, so I found
only that it could be caused by ftp'd archies in ASCII mode.
Other tip was that there could be a problem with CMD640
chipset/controller etc.
...I'm not so experienced user and I'm very confused ;)))

I found on http://www.gzip.org some programm writen by Jean-loup Gailly called fixgz
(http://www.gzip.org/fixgz.c) and some explanation about CRC ERROR's, I tried avery
Gailly's advice but it still doesn't work. I can't gunzip any kernel 2.4.x .

I found in man's that it could be a problem with checksum, so I run sum
for ftp'd kernel archive and for the same archive after fixgz'd and sum's
was really different but fixgz'd doesn't help - doesn't fix these archives.

So, I make every try under my 2.4.5 and 2.2.19 kernel - no positive result.

I haven't any idea where to looking for any bug, any solution, any information how to fix it.

Please, help me and explain what may be broken in my system.
How to try to fix it ?

I'll be very thankful.

Best regards

--
Mateusz Loskot
E-mail: [email protected]

2001-12-06 18:32:41

by Hans-Georg Fischer

Subject: Re: Strange problem with 2.4.x kernel

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, [iso-8859-2] Mateusz ?oskot wrote:

> invalid compressed data: CRC-ERROR

Did you compare the size of the downloaded kernels with the originals
on the ftp-server. Are they identical to the byte? This answers the
question if your ftp-program really used binary mode.
I once encountered a ftp-program which pretended using binary mode but
did not.

--
Hans-Georg

2001-12-06 18:35:13

by Tommy Reynolds

Uttered "Mateusz " <[email protected]>, spoke thus:

> Hello,
> I'm writing first time to you, so let me say HELLO !
>
> I installed Slackware 8.0 month ago, it is my firewall with NAT (iptables).
> I have two kernels: 2.2.19 and 2.4.5 - this is my default kernel.
> Everything went fine but three days ago I tried to compile some 2.4.x kernel (2.4.0, 2.4.4, 2.4.5, ...., 2.4.12, 2.4.16).
> I went to ftp.kernel.org and got some kernels (zipped and bzipped)
> (transfered in BINARY mode, not ASCII).
> So the problem is:
> When I tried to gunzip or bunzip2 any ftp'd kernel I got terrible ;) message:
>
> invalid compressed data: CRC-ERROR

You should validate the files you download before trying to use them. Check the
information at:

http://www.kernel.org/signature.html

for how to go about this.

Use ftp(1) or wget(1) to do the downloads. Do _not_ try to get the files using
any web browser, such as Netscape, because they are known to mangle files that
they don't understand.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- + -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Tommy Reynolds | mailto: <[email protected]>
Red Hat, Inc., Embedded Development Services | Phone: +1.256.704.9286
307 Wynn Drive NW, Huntsville, AL 35805 USA | FAX: +1.256.837.3839
Senior Software Developer | Mobile: +1.919.641.2923

Attachments:
(No filename) (197.00 B)

2001-12-06 18:44:21

by Mateusz Łoskot

Dni 06.12 2001 r., o godzinie 12:33 Tommy Reynolds napisa?(a) co nast?puje:
> Uttered "Mateusz " <[email protected]>, spoke thus:
> You should validate the files you download before trying to use them. Check the
> information at:
> http://www.kernel.org/signature.html
> for how to go about this.

Ok, I'll go there necessary...

> Use ftp(1) or wget(1) to do the downloads. Do _not_ try to get the files using
> any web browser, such as Netscape, because they are known to mangle files that
> they don't understand.

I know, I used only ftp, ncftp or yafc - the same result ;-((((

Thanks

--
Mateusz ?oskot
E-mail: [email protected]

2001-12-06 18:55:02

by Mateusz Łoskot

Dni 06.12 2001 r., o godzinie 19:30 Hans-Georg Fischer napisa?(a) co nast?puje:
> Did you compare the size of the downloaded kernels with the originals
> on the ftp-server.

Yes, I'm sure I did it.

> Are they identical to the byte?

Yes, they are identical, I'm sure.

> This answers the question if your ftp-program really used binary mode.
> I once encountered a ftp-program which pretended using binary mode but
> did not.

I used only ftp in BINARY mode or ncftp in BINARY mode.
As I said I used kernels archives from my CDROM's which I bought ;-)
So, it doesn't work too ;-(((

Thanks a lot, I think that it could be caused by new RAM SIMM's
or my CPU is too hot - I think it is less probable.

Thanks

--
Mateusz ?oskot
E-mail: [email protected]

2001-12-07 21:25:39

by Jan Dvorak

(CCing to [email protected])

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 07:41:51PM +0100, Mateusz ?oskot wrote:
> Dni 06.12 2001 r., o godzinie 12:33 Tommy Reynolds napisa?(a) co nast?puje:
..
> > Use ftp(1) or wget(1) to do the downloads. Do _not_ try to get the files using
> > any web browser, such as Netscape, because they are known to mangle files that
> > they don't understand.
>
> I know, I used only ftp, ncftp or yafc - the same result ;-((((
>
> Thanks

What is your line speed ? ProFTPD 1.2.0rcX and 1.2.2rcX (and probably other
versions) corrupts data on slow links (e.g modem) when compiled with
--enable-sendfile option (default). Could you try downloading on fast link,
or from mirrors ?

To [email protected]:
Could you please check ? Thanks.

Jan Dvorak <[email protected]>

2001-12-07 22:11:31

by H. Peter Anvin

Jan Dvorak wrote:

> (CCing to [email protected])
>
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 07:41:51PM +0100, Mateusz ?oskot wrote:
>
>>Dni 06.12 2001 r., o godzinie 12:33 Tommy Reynolds napisa?(a) co nast?puje:
>>
> ..
>
>>>Use ftp(1) or wget(1) to do the downloads. Do _not_ try to get the files using
>>>any web browser, such as Netscape, because they are known to mangle files that
>>>they don't understand.
>>>
>>I know, I used only ftp, ncftp or yafc - the same result ;-((((
>>
>>Thanks
>>

> What is your line speed ? ProFTPD 1.2.0rcX and 1.2.2rcX (and probably other
> versions) corrupts data on slow links (e.g modem) when compiled with
> --enable-sendfile option (default). Could you try downloading on fast link,
> or from mirrors ?
>
> To [email protected]:
> Could you please check ? Thanks.

We're currently running ProFTPD 1.2.2 final (with sendfile enabled.)
We're planning a full server replacement before the end of the month, at
which time we'll probably replace it with vsftpd.

-hpa

2001-12-07 23:11:34

by Mateusz Łoskot

> What is your line speed ?

I have CABLE MODEM connection and I have aout 40 kbps speed from ftp.krenel.org
I think it is not so slow ;-))), I get linux kernel archive in 10 minutes ;)

> ProFTPD 1.2.0rcX and 1.2.2rcX (and probably other
> versions) corrupts data on slow links (e.g modem) when compiled with
> --enable-sendfile option (default). Could you try downloading on fast link,
> or from mirrors ?

I tried download from different places. So, it doesn't work.

As I said before in my posts, I suspect my RAM SIMM's (thanks to kernel hackers which gave me a lot of help)
So, I have to test it and I will know whats going wrong.

> To [email protected]:
> Could you please check ? Thanks.

I think that this is problem with BIG tar.gz files, because if I try to ungzip
kernel 2.2.19 everything goes fine, so it must be a hardware problem.

Thanks a lot for your help

--
Mateusz ?oskot
E-mail: [email protected]