2001-12-10 23:12:07

by Louis E Garcia II

Subject: Devfs and raw devices

Is their any reason raw devices are not supported by devfs? Is it that no
one has bothered with implementation.

--Louis

2001-12-10 23:32:37

by Benjamin LaHaise

Subject: Re: Devfs and raw devices

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 06:13:40PM -0500, Louis Garcia wrote:
> Is their any reason raw devices are not supported by devfs? Is it that no
> one has bothered with implementation.

Perhaps none of the developers use devfs?

-ben

2001-12-11 18:47:21

by Jose Luis Domingo Lopez

On Monday, 10 December 2001, at 18:13:40 -0500,
Louis Garcia wrote:

> Is their any reason raw devices are not supported by devfs? Is it that no
> one has bothered with implementation.

Somebody sent a patch to support raw devices on devfs a couple of days
ago. Search the list archives and it should be there. As far as I know,
Richard Gooch hasn't integrated this code into devfs yet.

--
Jos? Luis Domingo L?pez
Linux Registered User #189436 Debian Linux Woody (P166 64 MB RAM)

jdomingo EN internautas PUNTO org => ? Spam ? Atente a las consecuencias
jdomingo AT internautas DOT org => Spam at your own risk

2001-12-11 19:12:31

by Richard Gooch

[email protected] writes:
> On Monday, 10 December 2001, at 18:13:40 -0500,
> Louis Garcia wrote:
>
> > Is their any reason raw devices are not supported by devfs? Is it that no
> > one has bothered with implementation.
> >
> Somebody sent a patch to support raw devices on devfs a couple of days
> ago. Search the list archives and it should be there. As far as I know,
> Richard Gooch hasn't integrated this code into devfs yet.

Huh? Every time someone has asked about this, I've said "good idea,
code it up and send a patch to Linus/Marcelo". I don't want to deal
with pushing this into the kernel, I'm having enough trouble getting
Linus to apply the current batch of devfs fixes.

As long as I'm in the loop somewhere, just to do a sanity check, I'm
satisfied. I don't have an overwhelming urge to maintain various devfs
patches for drivers. Been there, done that :-(
I'm even willing to sprinkle my own unholy penguin pee on a patch if
someone thinks (wrongly:-) that it will help get it applied. You can't
ask for more than that, right? (OK, you can, but you won't get it:-).

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: [email protected]
Current: [email protected]

2001-12-11 19:22:11

by Jose Luis Domingo Lopez

On Tuesday, 11 December 2001, at 12:11:58 -0700,
Richard Gooch wrote:

> [email protected] writes:
> > On Monday, 10 December 2001, at 18:13:40 -0500,
> > Louis Garcia wrote:
> >
> Huh? Every time someone has asked about this, I've said "good idea,
> code it up and send a patch to Linus/Marcelo". I don't want to deal

Just in case, my email was plainly informative, not trying to push stuff
of any kind :-)

--
Jos? Luis Domingo L?pez
Linux Registered User #189436 Debian Linux Woody (P166 64 MB RAM)

jdomingo EN internautas PUNTO org => ? Spam ? Atente a las consecuencias
jdomingo AT internautas DOT org => Spam at your own risk

2001-12-11 21:20:48

by Gregoire Favre

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 12:11:58PM -0700, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Huh? Every time someone has asked about this, I've said "good idea,
> code it up and send a patch to Linus/Marcelo". I don't want to deal
> with pushing this into the kernel, I'm having enough trouble getting
> Linus to apply the current batch of devfs fixes.

Well, at least, my IDE 250Mb is now working with devfs (2.4.17-pre[78])
which I found really cool!!!

Many thanks ;-))

Gr?goire
http://ulima.unil.ch/greg ICQ:16624071 mailto:[email protected]