2001-12-11 07:11:06

by John Huttley

Subject: [2.4.16 Bug] major failure

I wish to report a major failure.
with 2.4.16 and 2.4.17-pre8
on PII-450 x2 SMP system, Gigabyte BXDS board
(has adaptec scsi chip on it)
using IDE disk, scsi tape (DDS-4)

My system boots to X.
I swap to VC1 and start tarring up a lot of mp3's.

It works fine if i leave it to complete.

If I go to X and then back to VC1, the system will lock solid.
No num lock, no magic sysreq, no ping.

snuffed it. BRS time.

It's 100% reproducible and I can't figure out anything useful
to say except "HELP"

Thank god for journalling filesystems.
and hans and stephen.

I'm not subscribed, please cc me anything.

.config and dmesg attached.

dmesg.txt (14.58 kB)
config (22.29 kB)

by Matthias Andree

Subject: Re: [2.4.16 Bug] major failure

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, John Huttley wrote:

> I wish to report a major failure.
> with 2.4.16 and 2.4.17-pre8
> on PII-450 x2 SMP system, Gigabyte BXDS board
> (has adaptec scsi chip on it)
> using IDE disk, scsi tape (DDS-4)
>
> My system boots to X.
> I swap to VC1 and start tarring up a lot of mp3's.
>
> It works fine if i leave it to complete.
>
> If I go to X and then back to VC1, the system will lock solid.
> No num lock, no magic sysreq, no ping.

If it wasn't for SMP, I'd say try to boot with "disableapic", but I have
no clues whether this will break SMP or wreak other havoc.

At least, since around 2.4.10, booting my Uniprocessor Duron on a
Gigabyte 7ZXR board breaks at the same occasion. At the time I reported
that, I was told to take this to the XFree guys, then that IOAPIC stuff
on UP was unstable.

I tend to believe that some bug sneaked in around those 2.4.10 versions.

Can you tell what kernel versions were the last that work OK for you
when switching from X11 to virtual console?

(Remeber to Cc: John Huttley on replies, he said he's not on the list.)

2001-12-11 11:27:40

by Bruce Harada

On 11 Dec 2001 20:10:19 +1300
John Huttley <[email protected]> wrote:

> I wish to report a major failure.
> with 2.4.16 and 2.4.17-pre8
> on PII-450 x2 SMP system, Gigabyte BXDS board
> (has adaptec scsi chip on it)
> using IDE disk, scsi tape (DDS-4)
>
> My system boots to X.
> I swap to VC1 and start tarring up a lot of mp3's.
>
> It works fine if i leave it to complete.
>
> If I go to X and then back to VC1, the system will lock solid.
> No num lock, no magic sysreq, no ping.

What video card are you using?