2001-12-12 23:09:43

by Keith Owens

Subject: Any arch specific changes to scripts directory?

Does any architecture have local changes to the scripts directory?
This includes scripts/mkdep.c, the config code etc. Or to the top
level Makefile and Rules.make? I need to know about anything that
affects the overall kernel build and is not in the base kernel.

2001-12-13 06:00:13

by M. R. Brown

On an somewhat-related subject, here are a couple of utility scripts that
make it easier to use drop-in trees with various stock kernels. These are
used by linux-mips, linuxconsole (Ruby), and linuxsh developers, so it's
assumed they'd be useful to anyone else who needs to build those kernels.

Ok for inclusion into scripts/ ?

M. R.

* Keith Owens <[email protected]> on Thu, Dec 13, 2001:

> Does any architecture have local changes to the scripts directory?
> This includes scripts/mkdep.c, the config code etc. Or to the top
> level Makefile and Rules.make? I need to know about anything that
> affects the overall kernel build and is not in the base kernel.

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Keith Owens

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 23:59:43 -0600,
"M. R. Brown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>On an somewhat-related subject, here are a couple of utility scripts that
>make it easier to use drop-in trees with various stock kernels. These are
>used by linux-mips, linuxconsole (Ruby), and linuxsh developers, so it's
>assumed they'd be useful to anyone else who needs to build those kernels.

This facility and more is built into kbuild 2.5, which is going into
2.5 soon. I don't see the point in adding this to 2.4 now, especially
since kbuild 2.5 can also run on 2.4 kernels.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kbuild

2001-12-13 17:18:55

by M. R. Brown

* Keith Owens <[email protected]> on Thu, Dec 13, 2001:

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 23:59:43 -0600,
> "M. R. Brown" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On an somewhat-related subject, here are a couple of utility scripts that
> >make it easier to use drop-in trees with various stock kernels. These are
> >used by linux-mips, linuxconsole (Ruby), and linuxsh developers, so it's
> >assumed they'd be useful to anyone else who needs to build those kernels.
>
> This facility and more is built into kbuild 2.5, which is going into
> 2.5 soon. I don't see the point in adding this to 2.4 now, especially
> since kbuild 2.5 can also run on 2.4 kernels.

True, but IMO the majority of people aren't using kbuild with 2.4 yet.
Plus the fact that kbuild isn't included in 2.4 - I'm thinking of the
newbie/more-than-casual user who just wants to a) grab vanilla, b) run the
provided treelink scripts to drop in their second kernel. Patching the
kernel with kbuild 2.5 would be a bit too intrusive for this.

Marcelo, can these scripts go into 2.4?

M. R.

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.00 B)