2001-12-17 16:05:59

by Sebastian Droege

Here's a more or less critical problem with 2.5.1-dj1 :(
This is a Pentium II 350 with 256 MB RAM and Intel BX chipset
It can't find any ISA-PnP cards (I only have an old SB16 ISA-PnP ;) ) in my pc

> Limiting direct PCI/PCI transfers.
> isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
> isapnp: No Plug & Play device found

And it has big problems with usb.
Only the root hub is detected but nothing else...

> hub.c: Cannot enable port 1 of hub 1, disabling port.
> hub.c: Maybe the USB cable is bad?
The cable is okay...
2.5.1 works perfectly... but only without dj1 :(

Attached you find my .config, lspci -vvv and dmesg output

I'll test 2.4.17-rc1 in a few minutes and will report what happens ;)

Bye

Attachments:
dmesg.out (6.32 kB)
lspci.out (3.77 kB)
.config (20.93 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: your mail

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Sebastian Dr?ge wrote:

> Attached you find my .config, lspci -vvv and dmesg output
> I'll test 2.4.17-rc1 in a few minutes and will report what happens ;)

Thanks. Right now getting 2.4 into a better shape is more
important than fixing 2.5, so if you find any problems repeatable
in 2.4.17rc1, Marcelo really needs to know about it.

The only USB changes in my tree are __devinit_p changes, which
really shouldn't be causing a problem, but there could be some
other unrelated-to-usb patch which is causing this..

2.4 info would be appreciated.

Dave.

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2001-12-17 16:50:21

by Sebastian Droege

Ok...
2.4.16-2.4.17-rc1 works perfectly
2.5.0-2.5.1 works perfectly
Only 2.5.1-dj1 has this 2 errors (ISA-PnP non-detection and USB only root hub detection)
All have the same .config
If you need some more information feel free to ask me ;)

Bye

PS: 2.5.1 (dj1 or not ;) has one problem more on my pc:
INIT can't send the TERM signal to all processes...
Nothing happens... no error message no nothing
SysRQ works
I don't know when it went into 2.5 but I think it wasn't there in -pre10 (don't try -pre11)
PPS: What the hell is APIC (no I don't mean ACPI)? ;) I've enabled it on my UP machine but don't know what it does...
Does anyone have informations about it?

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:22:14 +0100 (CET)
Dave Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Sebastian Dr?ge wrote:
>
> > Attached you find my .config, lspci -vvv and dmesg output
> > I'll test 2.4.17-rc1 in a few minutes and will report what happens ;)
>
> Thanks. Right now getting 2.4 into a better shape is more
> important than fixing 2.5, so if you find any problems repeatable
> in 2.4.17rc1, Marcelo really needs to know about it.
>
> The only USB changes in my tree are __devinit_p changes, which
> really shouldn't be causing a problem, but there could be some
> other unrelated-to-usb patch which is causing this..
>
> 2.4 info would be appreciated.
>
> Dave.
>
> --
> | Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
> | SuSE Labs
>
> -

(No filename) (189.00 B)

2001-12-17 16:56:01

by Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

Em Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 05:52:06PM +0100, Sebastian Dr?ge escreveu:
> PS: 2.5.1 (dj1 or not ;) has one problem more on my pc:
> INIT can't send the TERM signal to all processes...

see the kill(-1,sig) thread...

> Nothing happens... no error message no nothing
> SysRQ works
> I don't know when it went into 2.5 but I think it wasn't there in -pre10 (don't try -pre11)
> PPS: What the hell is APIC (no I don't mean ACPI)? ;) I've enabled it on my UP machine but don't know what it does...
> Does anyone have informations about it?

Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller, found in SMP machines and in
some UP ones, for UP its shouldn't be enabled in most cases.

- Arnaldo