2001-12-22 08:14:44

by Eric Windisch

Subject: Hello. Patch time (drivers/block/loop.c)

Hello. I would like to formally introduce myself to this list, as this is my first post. Of course, I would not come to the table empty handed.. I bring to you a patch ;)

I was digging around the loopback block device driver and it wasn't long before I realized that it assumes you are writing if you are not reading.. which I assume could be hazardous if there is an overflow, bad memory, or someone modifies some other code without knowledge :)

Patch attached.

I may be looking at this and the multi-device drivers in the near future as I have a need for support for partitions on these devices; I think it would be really neat if the software-raid could eventually become compatable with hardware raid.. although much slower, it may be a nice thing to have for testing purposes or a last resort for those who fry their hardware raid-controllers ;)

--
Eric Windisch
http://bwbohh.net

Attachments:
(No filename) (891.00 B)
loop-badmem.diff (636.00 B)

by Andreas Dilger

Subject: Re: Hello. Patch time (drivers/block/loop.c)

On Dec 22, 2001 03:14 -0500, Eric Windisch wrote:
> I may be looking at this and the multi-device drivers in the near
> future as I have a need for support for partitions on these devices;

Contact Neil Brown, as this is already done. That is a "feature" of
Linux - most things you want to do have already been done by someone
else.

> I think it would be really neat if the software-raid could eventually
> become compatable with hardware raid.. although much slower

In many cases, software raid is as fast or faster than hardware raid.
What do you mean by "compatible"?

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger

by Eric Windisch

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:29:34AM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Contact Neil Brown, as this is already done. That is a "feature" of
> Linux - most things you want to do have already been done by someone
> else.

I will look into that, do you have a url or email address (otherwise I'll use google or RTFM)?

> > I think it would be really neat if the software-raid could eventually
> > become compatable with hardware raid.. although much slower
>
> In many cases, software raid is as fast or faster than hardware raid.
> What do you mean by "compatible"?

Well, it would be nice if I could easily replace a raid controller with software raid.. if this could be possible, I assume it could be.

--
Eric Windisch
http://bwbohh.net

2001-12-22 08:51:38

by Eric Windisch

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 03:37:22AM -0500, Eric Windisch wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:29:34AM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > Contact Neil Brown, as this is already done. That is a "feature" of
> > Linux - most things you want to do have already been done by someone
> > else.
>
> I will look into that, do you have a url or email address (otherwise I'll use google or RTFM)?

Actually, I went ahead and RTFM.. I found the patch, thanks! :)

--
Eric Windisch
http://bwbohh.net