2001-12-20 21:40:09

by Ilguiz Latypov

Subject: Re: pc speaker cant be accessed with no video card in computer

all: beep

pcspeaker.o: pcspeaker.c
gcc -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i386 -O2 -D__KERNEL__ -I../include -I/home/ilatypov/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /home/ilatypov/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -c pcspeaker.c -o pcspeaker.o

clean:
rm -rf beep *.o *~ *.gdb

Attachments:
pcspeaker.c (5.33 kB)
beep.c (2.44 kB)
Makefile (366.00 B)

by James Simmons

> Rather than porting it to Linux I chose a simple option of copying
> the ioctl PC speaker code into a skeleton misc character device
> driver. As a result I can issue ioctl "beep" calls against my
> /dev/pcspeaker (character device with major number 10, minor number
> 240). E.g., replacing "/dev/console" with "/dev/pcspeaker" in
> PCMCIA cardmgr.c will revive its sound effects.

Ug. I have thought about this problem as well. I plan to make it a
/dev/input driver. Especially since I plan to migrate the VT code over
to input api. This will allow use to the speaker with or without the
VT tty system.

2001-12-23 23:06:15

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> I guess it is not easy to produce a series of sounds without
> waiting each note to finish. There is an 8 year old PC speaker
> driver for BSD kernel that performs the BASIC PLAY lines in kernel.
>
> Rather than porting it to Linux I chose a simple option of copying
> the ioctl PC speaker code into a skeleton misc character device
> driver. As a result I can issue ioctl "beep" calls against my
> /dev/pcspeaker (character device with major number 10, minor number
> 240). E.g., replacing "/dev/console" with "/dev/pcspeaker" in
> PCMCIA cardmgr.c will revive its sound effects.

Snip... There's driver enabling you to play mp3-s on pc speaker (etc, it
does full /dev/dsp).... Separate task but maybe you wanted to know...

by Hans-Christian Armingeon

Am Sonntag, 23. Dezember 2001 02:30 schrieb Pavel Machek:
> Hi!
>
> > I guess it is not easy to produce a series of sounds without
> > waiting each note to finish. There is an 8 year old PC speaker
> > driver for BSD kernel that performs the BASIC PLAY lines in kernel.
> >
> > Rather than porting it to Linux I chose a simple option of copying
> > the ioctl PC speaker code into a skeleton misc character device
> > driver. As a result I can issue ioctl "beep" calls against my
> > /dev/pcspeaker (character device with major number 10, minor number
> > 240). E.g., replacing "/dev/console" with "/dev/pcspeaker" in
> > PCMCIA cardmgr.c will revive its sound effects.
>
> Snip... There's driver enabling you to play mp3-s on pc speaker (etc, it
> does full /dev/dsp).... Separate task but maybe you wanted to know...
Does anybody know, where this driver is? (Homepage)

Thanks in advance,

Johnny

2001-12-26 02:45:01

by Paul

Hans-Christian Armingeon <[email protected]>, on Mon Dec 24, 2001 [05:08:33 PM] said:
> Am Sonntag, 23. Dezember 2001 02:30 schrieb Pavel Machek:

[...]
> > Snip... There's driver enabling you to play mp3-s on pc speaker (etc, it
> > does full /dev/dsp).... Separate task but maybe you wanted to know...
> Does anybody know, where this driver is? (Homepage)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Johnny

Hi.

I last got it from here:

ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/people/dwmw2/pcsp/

David Woodhouse was maintaining it... given the
limitations of the pc speaker, it really is pretty amazing:)

Paul
[email protected]