2001-12-28 12:58:47

by Amber Palekar

Subject: threads in kernel

Hi,
I want to do a communication module.I am using
sock_create etc for the same purpose.I went thru some
sample code.Everywhere threads are being used.Is it
mandatory to create kernel threads while doing
communication(or using socks) in the kernel ?? If yes
, why ????

TIA
Amber,

http://greetings.yahoo.com

2001-12-28 13:13:59

by Rik van Riel

Subject: Re: threads in kernel

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Amber Palekar wrote:

> I want to do a communication module.I am using
> sock_create etc for the same purpose.I went thru some
> sample code.Everywhere threads are being used.Is it
> mandatory to create kernel threads while doing
> communication(or using socks) in the kernel ??

No. You can do asynchronous IO on sockets, using
poll(), select() and friends.

Rik
--
Shortwave goes a long way: irc.starchat.net #swl