2002-01-03 16:00:27

by Serge Manigault

Subject: romable kernel (XIP)

Hello,
I am looking for information about Linux XIP for eXecute In Place
I need a romable image to minimize RAM usage.
Thanks for any information, link, or anything else about this subject.
regards,

Serge

2002-01-03 16:19:39

by Bradley D. LaRonde

Subject: Re: romable kernel (XIP)

There is support in http://www.linux-vr.org for XIP kernel. grep for
CONFIG_XIP_ROM and look in arch/mips/vr41xx for the linker script.

Note: linux-vr.org repository is old and being phased out and code moved to
linux-mips.sourceforge.net.

Regards,
Brad

----- Original Message -----
From: "Serge Manigault" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 10:57 AM

> Hello,
> I am looking for information about Linux XIP for eXecute In Place
> I need a romable image to minimize RAM usage.
> Thanks for any information, link, or anything else about this subject.
> regards,
>
> Serge

2002-01-03 16:50:09

by Timothy Covell

On Thursday 03 January 2002 09:57, Serge Manigault wrote:
> Hello,
> I am looking for information about Linux XIP for eXecute In Place
> I need a romable image to minimize RAM usage.
> Thanks for any information, link, or anything else about this subject.
> regards,
>
> Serge

I know that the Agenda VR folks were working on XIP with their
Linux PDA. That's for the VR MIPs chip. Of course, that chip
is a dog and their implementation didn't help much. (Aside:
IMHO, the whole Agenda PDA fiasco was using Linux as a way to
dump their load of crappy PDAs on technoids who'll snap up
anything that runs Linux. So, please do this with your project.)

--
[email protected].

2002-01-04 07:53:24

by Erik Andersen

On Thu Jan 03, 2002 at 04:57:39PM +0100, Serge Manigault wrote:
> Hello,
> I am looking for information about Linux XIP for eXecute In Place
> I need a romable image to minimize RAM usage.
> Thanks for any information, link, or anything else about this subject.
> regards,

http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2001-April/002262.html

-Erik

--