2002-01-08 09:19:32

by Andre Hedrick

Subject: IDE Patch (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 14:17:00 -0500 (EST)
From: Rob Radez <[email protected]>
To: Andre Hedrick <[email protected]>
Subject: IDE Patch

Hi,
I'm using your ide.2.4.16.12102001 patch with a Promise PDC20269
controller and a Maxtor 160GB hard drive on 2.4.17, and I just wanted to
tell you that it's working great so far.

Thanks for all the great code,
Rob Radez

2002-01-08 15:16:21

by Andre Hedrick

Subject: Re: IDE Patch (fwd)

Greetings Matthew,

Thanks for the feedback, but lkml needs it or it will not be adopted.
I know the driver is stable and effectively perfect in operations.
So I do not understand the total ignore I receive about it.

respectfully

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Matthew Hunter wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:15:38AM -0800, Andre Hedrick <[email protected]> wrote:

2002-01-08 15:28:51

by Dan Chen

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 07:12:14AM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback, but lkml needs it or it will not be adopted.
> I know the driver is stable and effectively perfect in operations.
> So I do not understand the total ignore I receive about it.

Andre's ide.2.4.16.12102001.patch works great here. I strongly recommend
it be considered for 2.5 if not also for 2.4.

--
Dan Chen [email protected]
GPG key: http://www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

Attachments:
(No filename) (485.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Marcel Mol

the -ac tree had the patch in until at least 2.4.13-ac,
which I run on my laptop because it is the latest kernel
that flushes the ide-drive writecache at shutdown.
Before that I had regular filesystem corruptions...

-Marcel

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 10:27:36AM -0500, Dan Chen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 07:12:14AM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> > Thanks for the feedback, but lkml needs it or it will not be adopted.
> > I know the driver is stable and effectively perfect in operations.
> > So I do not understand the total ignore I receive about it.
>
> Andre's ide.2.4.16.12102001.patch works great here. I strongly recommend
> it be considered for 2.5 if not also for 2.4.
>
> --
> Dan Chen [email protected]
> GPG key: http://www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

--
======-------- Marcel J.E. Mol MESA Consulting B.V.
=======--------- ph. +31-(0)6-54724868 P.O. Box 112

2002-01-08 15:47:42

by Alan

> > So I do not understand the total ignore I receive about it.
>
> Andre's ide.2.4.16.12102001.patch works great here. I strongly recommend
> it be considered for 2.5 if not also for 2.4.

I wish it were an easy 2.4 one - its the first thing that fixed my HPT370 DMA
timeouts too.

2002-01-08 15:51:22

by szonyi calin

--- Dan Chen <[email protected]> a ?crit?: > On
Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 07:12:14AM -0800, Andre
> Hedrick wrote:
> > Thanks for the feedback, but lkml needs it or it
> will not be adopted.
> > I know the driver is stable and effectively
> perfect in operations.
> > So I do not understand the total ignore I receive
> about it.
>
> Andre's ide.2.4.16.12102001.patch works great here.
> I strongly recommend
> it be considered for 2.5 if not also for 2.4.

Cyrix486/66 Slackware 8.0 12Megs Ram works great with
linux 2.4.16 + ide + rml-preemptible_patch.
hard drive is Seagate 6.4Gb
I have used this combination before and no
problems at all.

> --
> Dan Chen [email protected]
> GPG key: http://www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

=====

by Alan

> which I run on my laptop because it is the latest kernel
> that flushes the ide-drive writecache at shutdown.
> Before that I had regular filesystem corruptions...

For certain laptops with IBM 2.5" drives its basically
mandatory. Any laptops that needed the Win98 update (or were shipped with
the win98 update) for this.

Current sysvinit/initscripts has a sort of unreliable workaround for this,
which doesn't always help.

2002-01-08 16:06:13

by Rene Rebe

I also vote for inclusion in 2.4. It runs on several workstations and
a file-server using Software RAID-5 on 3 IBM IDE disk running EXT3
(formerly ReiserFS - but it's speed sucks on RAID5 IDE devices ??) -
no problems!

> Thanks for the feedback, but lkml needs it or it will not be adopted.
> I know the driver is stable and effectively perfect in operations.
> So I do not understand the total ignore I receive about it.
>
> respectfully
>
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Matthew Hunter wrote:

[...]

k33p h4ck1n6
Ren?

--
Ren? Rebe (Registered Linux user: #248718 <http://counter.li.org>)

eMail: [email protected]
[email protected]

Homepage: http://www.tfh-berlin.de/~s712059/index.html

by Martin Eriksson

> I'm using your ide.2.4.16.12102001 patch with a Promise PDC20269
> controller and a Maxtor 160GB hard drive on 2.4.17, and I just wanted to
> tell you that it's working great so far.
>
> Thanks for all the great code,
> Rob Radez

It works 100% here too! Even on my old blacklisted drives, and my old BP6
mobo with a buggy HPT366 controller.

No more DMA timeouts
No more Attempts to read beyond the end of disk
No more use of ATA-33 on a drive that cannot handle it

Nice work Andre!

| Martin Eriksson <[email protected]>
| MSc CSE student, department of Computing Science
| Ume? University, Sweden

- ABIT BP6(RU) - 2xCeleron 400 - 128MB/PC100/C2 Acer
- Maxtor 10/5400/U33 HPT P/M - Seagate 6/5400/U33 HPT S/M
- 2xDE-530TX - 1xTulip - Linux 2.4.17+ide+preempt

2002-01-08 20:53:46

by Andrew Morton

Rene Rebe wrote:

> I also vote for inclusion in 2.4.

I spent a couple of hours beating the crap out of it,
and none actually came out. I'd vote for prompt inclusion
in 2.5, and inclusion in 2.4.x-pre1 when it's shown to be
stable.

-

2002-01-08 21:34:26

by Jussi Laako

Andre Hedrick wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback, but lkml needs it or it will not be adopted.
> I know the driver is stable and effectively perfect in operations.
> So I do not understand the total ignore I receive about it.

Just to avoid overperfectness... ;))

Has anyone succeeded in fixing the sis5513 driver to work with ATA100 chips?
I get heavy disk corruption with SiS730S chipset mobo (ASUS A7S-VM).

Best regards,

- Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B 39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers

2002-01-08 21:59:16

by Andre Hedrick

Hello Heinz,

The single patch is located on http://www.linuxdiskcert.org
Once I finish a 2.5.X and comfortable with the changes they will be
brought back to 2.4 again.

respectfully,

--a

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Heinz Diehl wrote:

> On Tue Jan 08 2002, Andre Hedrick wrote:
>
> > I'm using your ide.2.4.16.12102001 patch with a Promise PDC20269
> [....]
>
> Where can I get your patch for download? The people/hedrick dir
> at kernel.org does not seem to have it.
>
> Regards,
> --
> # Heinz Diehl, 68259 Mannheim, Germany

2002-01-08 22:28:57

by Lionel Bouton

Subject: Re: IDE Patch SIS ATA100

Jussi Laako wrote:

> Andre Hedrick wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the feedback, but lkml needs it or it will not be adopted.
>>I know the driver is stable and effectively perfect in operations.
>>So I do not understand the total ignore I receive about it.
>>

> Just to avoid overperfectness... ;))
>
> Has anyone succeeded in fixing the sis5513 driver to work with ATA100 chips?
> I get heavy disk corruption with SiS730S chipset mobo (ASUS A7S-VM).
>

> Best regards,
>
> - Jussi Laako

I'm on it. Had some intermittent successes and thought to have a correct
patch until today (one 2002 week with ATA100)...
But I had a bugreport today and same dma problems on my machine after a
BIOS flashing and a new drive in the system.
Currently in heavy debugging.

PB: chip seems to init itself correctly on extended periods of time on
my config! Makes testing rather difficult :-(

For example, with the *exact* same code this evening I had:
- a system freeze just after /sbin/init load,
- a crash after ext3 fs errors before init,
- a somewhat working boot (some weird library errors caused "ip" to not
work),
- a fully functionnal system (no error reported, some file copies,
reboot with ide=nodma, e2fsck -f -> no error).

If you have a system you can test on without fear of breaking things
I'll send you patches as soon as they'll work again on my config.
Better if you want to proof-read the code :
http://gyver.homeip.net/sis5513/index.html

LB.

2002-01-09 04:02:56

by Ishan O. Jayawardena

Yup, great work Andre, specially for the PIIXn stuff. The cahce flush
at shutdown is great too. Really, I've been following this work through
lkml, and frankly, I don't understand why it isn't in 2.5 at least.

Cheerio!

- ioj
.

2002-01-09 12:26:30

by Matthias Andree

On Tue, 08 Jan 2002, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> [...]

So I took that patch that Anton Altaparmakov rediffed for 2.4.18-pre2;
it lacks help for these options:

CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE
CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL
CONFIG_IDE_TASKFILE_IO
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_FORCED
CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK

Would you mind adding help for these options?

--
Matthias Andree

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

2002-01-09 12:54:35

by David

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Matthias Andree wrote:

> So I took that patch that Anton Altaparmakov rediffed for 2.4.18-pre2;
> it lacks help for these options:
>
> CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE
> CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL
> CONFIG_IDE_TASKFILE_IO
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_FORCED
> CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK
>
> Would you mind adding help for these options?

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0201.0/0286.html

David.

2002-01-09 13:23:26

by Zwane Mwaikambo

550Mhz/512MB 4x10G (no raid just / /home /usr /build) UDMA33 drives on
PIIX4
2.4.17-pre5-preempt+ata

Oh My...

updatedb, full filesystem tar backups... whatever everything keeps going
smooooooothely no mouse jerking in X.

Cheers Andre,
Zwane Mwaikambo

2002-01-09 13:39:16

by Matthias Andree

On Wed, 09 Jan 2002, David wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Matthias Andree wrote:
> >
> > So I took that patch that Anton Altaparmakov rediffed for 2.4.18-pre2;
> > it lacks help for these options:
> >
> > CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE
> > CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL
> > CONFIG_IDE_TASKFILE_IO
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_FORCED
> > CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK
> >
> > Would you mind adding help for these options?
>
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0201.0/0286.html

Sorry for missing these.

Two helpful people have now responded, I'd appreciate if the next
release of the patch contained these as patch hunks for Configure.help.
:-)

--
Matthias Andree

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

2002-01-11 04:00:29

by Oliver Xymoron

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Rene Rebe wrote:
> >
> > I also vote for inclusion in 2.4.
>
> I spent a couple of hours beating the crap out of it,
> and none actually came out. I'd vote for prompt inclusion
> in 2.5, and inclusion in 2.4.x-pre1 when it's shown to be
> stable.

I vote for doing the reverse. The 2.4 codebase is the more tested, the 2.5
is a forward-port. Given all the related block changes still settling out
in 2.5, changing IDE might make block layer/IDE issues hard to sort out.
Let's see it in the next 2.4.x-pre1.

by Lionel Bouton

Lionel Bouton wrote:

> Jussi Laako wrote:
>

> I'm on it. Had some intermittent successes and thought to have a correct
> patch until today (one 2002 week with ATA100)...
> But I had a bugreport today and same dma problems on my machine after a
> BIOS flashing and a new drive in the system.
> Currently in heavy debugging.

Debugging ended. Patch cleaned from debugging code submitted to Andre.
After numerous bug reports and google search I understood that the
problem is an *hardware* one on my board.

> PB: chip seems to init itself correctly on extended periods of time on
> my config! Makes testing rather difficult :-(
>
> For example, with the *exact* same code this evening I had:
> - a system freeze just after /sbin/init load,
> - a crash after ext3 fs errors before init,
> - a somewhat working boot (some weird library errors caused "ip" to not
> work),
> - a fully functionnal system (no error reported, some file copies,
> reboot with ide=nodma, e2fsck -f -> no error).

Should have been 100% sure this was an hardware pb at this time. Non
deterministic behaviour in my code could not have had any other source.

People encountering problems using SIS chipsets should try the driver
available here: