2002-01-07 02:17:41

by Eric S. Raymond

Subject: Missing entries in Configuure.help)

The following symbols (mostly ARM port stuff) are missing enntries in
Configure.help. Please contribute help entries if you can.

ARM:

6xx_GENERIC
ARCH_ADIFCC
ARCH_AUTCPU12
ARCH_CAMELOT
ARCH_CLPS711X
ARCH_CLPS7500
ARCH_CO285
ARCH_FOOTBRIDGE
ARCH_IOP310
ARCH_SA1100
ARCH_SHARK
CPU_ARM922_CPU_IDLE
CPU_ARM922_D_CACHE_ON
CPU_ARM922_I_CACHE_ON
CPU_ARM922_WRITETHROUGH
DEBUG_LL_SER3
DEBUG_WAITQ
H3600_SLEEVE
IOP310_AAU
IOP310_DMA
IOP310_MU
IOP310_PMON
SA1100_H3100
SA1100_H3800
SA1100_PT_SYSTEM3
SA1100_SHANNON
SA1100_USB
SA1100_USB_CHAR
SA1100_USB_NETLINK

Non-ARM:

USB_EHCI_HCD
USB_SERIAL_IPAQ
USB_SERIAL_KLSI
USB_STV680
USB_VICAM

Government should be weak, amateurish and ridiculous. At present, it
fulfills only a third of the role. -- Edward Abbey

2002-01-07 08:53:33

by Russell King

Subject: Re: Missing entries in Configuure.help)

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 09:02:33PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> 6xx_GENERIC

What's this? Where is it?

> ARCH_CO285
> ARCH_FOOTBRIDGE
> ARCH_SA1100
> ARCH_SHARK
> CPU_ARM922_CPU_IDLE
> CPU_ARM922_D_CACHE_ON
> CPU_ARM922_I_CACHE_ON
> CPU_ARM922_WRITETHROUGH

Erm, I don't believe these have been added since you last complained.
I don't see how they became a non-issue and are now a problem. Please
double-check them.

> ARCH_ADIFCC
> ARCH_AUTCPU12
> ARCH_CAMELOT
> ARCH_CLPS711X
> ARCH_CLPS7500
> ARCH_IOP310
> DEBUG_WAITQ
> DEBUG_LL_SER3
> H3600_SLEEVE
> IOP310_AAU
> IOP310_DMA
> IOP310_MU
> IOP310_PMON
> SA1100_H3100
> SA1100_H3800
> SA1100_PT_SYSTEM3
> SA1100_SHANNON
> SA1100_USB
> SA1100_USB_CHAR
> SA1100_USB_NETLINK

Some of these are waiting to be dug out of my copy of the Configure.help
file and forwarded to Linus.

The only thing I'm doing at the moment is forwarding the stuff that doesn't
touch ARM specific files; Configure.help is a generic file, so it doesn't
get sent as often, and will always take longer (and therefore be out of
date).

2002-01-07 15:59:08

by Greg KH

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 09:02:33PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> The following symbols (mostly ARM port stuff) are missing enntries in
> Configure.help. Please contribute help entries if you can.

You might want to state which kernel version you are referring to.

> USB_EHCI_HCD
> USB_SERIAL_IPAQ
> USB_SERIAL_KLSI
> USB_STV680
> USB_VICAM

All of these are present in 2.5.2-pre7, 2 kernel versions ago :)

thanks,

greg k-h

2002-01-08 17:37:31

by Eric S. Raymond

Greg KH <[email protected]>:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 09:02:33PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > The following symbols (mostly ARM port stuff) are missing enntries in
> > Configure.help. Please contribute help entries if you can.
>
> You might want to state which kernel version you are referring to.
>
> > USB_EHCI_HCD
> > USB_SERIAL_IPAQ
> > USB_SERIAL_KLSI
> > USB_STV680
> > USB_VICAM
>
> All of these are present in 2.5.2-pre7, 2 kernel versions ago :)

I've got entries for three of these now. I'll post a revised list shortly.

I'm keeping Configure.help up to date with respect to both the 2.5
and 2.4 branches.

What is a magician but a practicing theorist?
-- Obi-Wan Kenobi, 'Return of the Jedi'

2002-01-08 17:59:12

by Eric S. Raymond

Russell King <[email protected]>:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 09:02:33PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > 6xx_GENERIC
>
> What's this? Where is it?

Private symbol. My error; it doesn't need help.

> > ARCH_CO285
> > ARCH_FOOTBRIDGE
> > ARCH_SA1100
> > ARCH_SHARK
> > CPU_ARM922_CPU_IDLE
> > CPU_ARM922_D_CACHE_ON
> > CPU_ARM922_I_CACHE_ON
> > CPU_ARM922_WRITETHROUGH
>
> Erm, I don't believe these have been added since you last complained.
> I don't see how they became a non-issue and are now a problem. Please
> double-check them.

I know that the ARM 922 symbols came in during the last update; I remember
having to add them to the rulebase. I think ARCH_SHARK didn't show up before
this because I had it marked as dead (it got revived recently and I didn't
catch that for a while.

Here is the revised list:

ARM:

ARCH_ADIFCC
ARCH_CAMELOT
ARCH_CLPS7500
ARCH_CO285
ARCH_FOOTBRIDGE
ARCH_IOP310
ARCH_SA1100
ARCH_SHARK
CPU_ARM922_CPU_IDLE
CPU_ARM922_D_CACHE_ON
CPU_ARM922_I_CACHE_ON
CPU_ARM922_WRITETHROUGH
DEBUG_LL_SER3
DEBUG_WAITQ
H3600_SLEEVE
IOP310_AAU
IOP310_DMA
IOP310_MU
IOP310_PMON
SA1100_H3100
SA1100_H3800
SA1100_PT_SYSTEM3
SA1100_SHANNON
SA1100_USB
SA1100_USB_CHAR
SA1100_USB_NETLINK

Non-ARM:

USB_EHCI_HCD

What, then is law [government]? It is the collective organization of
the individual right to lawful defense."
-- Frederic Bastiat, "The Law"

2002-01-08 18:41:45

by Greg KH

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 12:43:34PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Non-ARM:
>
> USB_EHCI_HCD

Again, this one is described in 2.5.2-pre7 and later kernels.

thanks,

greg k-h

2002-01-08 19:12:52

by Eric S. Raymond

Greg KH <[email protected]>:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 12:43:34PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> >
> > Non-ARM:
> >
> > USB_EHCI_HCD
>
> Again, this one is described in 2.5.2-pre7 and later kernels.

You're right. Thanks. Found it.

The right to buy weapons is the right to be free.
-- A.E. Van Vogt, "The Weapon Shops Of Isher", ASF December 1942

2002-01-08 19:35:32

by Dave Gilbert (Home)

* Eric S. Raymond ([email protected]) wrote:

> CPU_ARM922_D_CACHE_ON
> CPU_ARM922_I_CACHE_ON
> CPU_ARM922_WRITETHROUGH

Hmm - is there anything ARM922 specific about these - i.e. is there a
reason that we shouldn't get rid of them and have some architecture
independent symbols CPU_D_CACHE_ON, CPU_I_CACHE_ON and
CPU_CACHE_WRITETHROUGH (and more to your taste) and then architectures
can use the ones which apply to them.

Doesn't seem to be a point in having dupes.

Dave
---------------- Have a happy GNU millennium! ----------------------
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM, SPARC and HP-PA | In Hex /
\ _________________________|_____ http://www.treblig.org |_______/

2002-01-08 19:49:52

by Eric S. Raymond

Dr. David Alan Gilbert <[email protected]>:
> * Eric S. Raymond ([email protected]) wrote:
>
> > CPU_ARM922_D_CACHE_ON
> > CPU_ARM922_I_CACHE_ON
> > CPU_ARM922_WRITETHROUGH
>
> Hmm - is there anything ARM922 specific about these - i.e. is there a
> reason that we shouldn't get rid of them and have some architecture
> independent symbols CPU_D_CACHE_ON, CPU_I_CACHE_ON and
> CPU_CACHE_WRITETHROUGH (and more to your taste) and then architectures
> can use the ones which apply to them.
>
> Doesn't seem to be a point in having dupes.

I agree. I think there are now no fewer than four parallel sets of these.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.
Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise
their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to
dismember it or overthrow it." -- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861