2002-01-04 20:22:33

by Jacek Popławski

Subject: eepro (82595) question

I have two 82595FX Ethernet ISA cards. I can load eepro module with
autodetect=1, irq and io are detected correctly, then I can ifconfig eth0 up,
but card no works at all (I can ping it, but can't ping something else). I
tried that card in Win98 - works with "Intel 82595" driver. So I downloaded
"e10disk.exe" with DOS utils. With softset2.exe I changed irq to 10 and io to
0x300. I booted Linux-2.2.19 and loaded eepro, detected again, and now it
works! But I need to put two cards in one system, so I must find another
working irq/io. My question is why it doesn't work with many irq/io settings?
I tried 5 times. Only irq=10, io=0x300 works correctly (on 3 different
computers). Of course I checked /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports for
conflicts. Is it possible that driver is broken? I searched groups.google.com
and found few posts from people with similiar problem, maybe they couldn't find
correct softset2.exe and correct irq/io settings?

--
decopter - free SDL/OpenGL simulator under heavy development
download it from http://decopter.sourceforge.net

2002-01-08 11:57:33

by Eyal Lebedinsky

Subject: Re: eepro (82595) question

Jacek Pop?awski wrote:

> I have two 82595FX Ethernet ISA cards. I can load eepro module with

eepro.c is broken in 2.2.19 (and for a while before that).

A minor update went into 2.2.20.

Major updates are in the works now (e.g. see 2.2.21-pre2).

As for the 2.2.19/2.2.20 version, if you want it to recognise
more that one card then apply this simple fix to init_module():
d->mem_end = mem[n_eepro];
d->base_addr = io[0];
d->irq = irq[n_eepro];
d->init = eepro_probe;
Change the [0] to [n_eepro] in the second line. But this version
is still unstable under load!

--
Eyal Lebedinsky ([email protected]) <http://samba.org/eyal/>

> I have two 82595FX Ethernet ISA cards. I can load eepro module with
> autodetect=1, irq and io are detected correctly, then I can ifconfig eth0 up,
> but card no works at all (I can ping it, but can't ping something else). I
> tried that card in Win98 - works with "Intel 82595" driver. So I downloaded
> "e10disk.exe" with DOS utils. With softset2.exe I changed irq to 10 and io to
> 0x300. I booted Linux-2.2.19 and loaded eepro, detected again, and now it
> works! But I need to put two cards in one system, so I must find another
> working irq/io. My question is why it doesn't work with many irq/io settings?
> I tried 5 times. Only irq=10, io=0x300 works correctly (on 3 different
> computers). Of course I checked /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports for
> conflicts. Is it possible that driver is broken? I searched groups.google.com
> and found few posts from people with similiar problem, maybe they couldn't find
> correct softset2.exe and correct irq/io settings?
2.2.19 and 2.2.20 drivers are broken. check for 0.13 version of driver
(http://cathedrallabs.org/~aris/patches/)

--
aris