2002-01-10 09:55:38

by Miklos.Szeredi

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] FUSE: Filesystem in Userspace 0.95

FUSE 0.95 is available (download or CVS) from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/avf

What's new in 0.95 compared to 0.9

- Major performance improvements in both the kernel module and the
library parts.

- Small number of bugs fixed. FUSE has been through some stress
testing and no problems have turned up yet.

- Library interface simplified. A simple 'hello world' filesystem
can now be implemented in less than 100 lines.

- Python (by Jeff Epler) and Perl (by Mark Glines) bindings are in
the works, and will be released some time in the future (now
available through CVS).

Problems still remaining:

- Security problems when fuse is used by non-privileged users:

o permissions on mountpoint can only be checked by kernel
(patch exists)

o user can intentionally block the page writeback operation,
causing a system lockup. I'm not sure this can be solved in
a truly secure way. Ideas?

Introduction for newbies:

FUSE provides a simple interface for userspace programs to export a
virtual filesystem to the Linux kernel. FUSE also aims to provide a
secure method for non privileged users to create and mount their own
filesystem implementations.

Fuse is available for the 2.4 (and later) kernel series.
Installation is easy and does not need a kernel recompile.

2002-01-18 16:49:01

by Pavel Machek

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] FUSE: Filesystem in Userspace 0.95

Hi!

> FUSE 0.95 is available (download or CVS) from:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/avf

(I'm offline, that's why I'm asking like that):

> What's new in 0.95 compared to 0.9
>
> - Major performance improvements in both the kernel module and the
> library parts.
>
> - Small number of bugs fixed. FUSE has been through some stress
> testing and no problems have turned up yet.
>
> - Library interface simplified. A simple 'hello world' filesystem
> can now be implemented in less than 100 lines.

Are you multithreaded? Like will big ftp download block all FUSE, all ftp,
only one server, or everything?

> - Python (by Jeff Epler) and Perl (by Mark Glines) bindings are in
> the works, and will be released some time in the future (now
> available through CVS).

Nice!

> Problems still remaining:
>
> - Security problems when fuse is used by non-privileged users:
>
> o user can intentionally block the page writeback operation,
> causing a system lockup. I'm not sure this can be solved in
> a truly secure way. Ideas?

How does GRUB solve this?

> Introduction for newbies:
>
> FUSE provides a simple interface for userspace programs to export a
> virtual filesystem to the Linux kernel. FUSE also aims to provide a
> secure method for non privileged users to create and mount their own
> filesystem implementations.
>
> Fuse is available for the 2.4 (and later) kernel series.
> Installation is easy and does not need a kernel recompile.

Maybe it could replace sf/coda and fs/intermezzo? Is it powerfull/fast
enough for that?
Pavel

by Miklos.Szeredi

Hi Pavel!

> Are you multithreaded? Like will big ftp download block all FUSE, all ftp,
> only one server, or everything?

FUSE and AVFS are both multithreaded. Specifically ftp is quite well
threaded, and a big download will not block any operation, even on the
same server.

> > o user can intentionally block the page writeback operation,
> > causing a system lockup. I'm not sure this can be solved in
> > a truly secure way. Ideas?
>
> How does GRUB solve this?

What GRUB?

> Maybe it could replace sf/coda and fs/intermezzo? Is it powerfull/fast
> enough for that?

No, at the moment there are a few features missing in FUSE, that CODA
needs (access caching, reading directly from files, file
reintegration). But it is perfectly possible to add these features to
FUSE if somebody wants them.

Actually having real disk files as a backing store for virtual files
could be the solution to the page writeback problem. The only
question is how to manage this in an efficient way.

Miklos

2002-01-22 19:02:50

by Daniel Phillips

On January 10, 2002 10:55 am, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> FUSE 0.95 is available (download or CVS) from:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/avf

I've been meaning to have a read through this for some time, and I'm finally
getting around to it. Random question: you seem to have embedded much of Joe
Orton's Neon project (http://freshmeat.net/projects/neon/) in your tgz. Is
there any particular reason for that? Isn't this going to turn into a
maintainance problem eventually?

--
Daniel

2002-01-23 22:46:00

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > Are you multithreaded? Like will big ftp download block all FUSE, all ftp,
> > only one server, or everything?
>
> FUSE and AVFS are both multithreaded. Specifically ftp is quite well
> threaded, and a big download will not block any operation, even on the
> same server.

Good!

> > > o user can intentionally block the page writeback operation,
> > > causing a system lockup. I'm not sure this can be solved in
> > > a truly secure way. Ideas?
> >
> > How does GRUB solve this?
>
> What GRUB?

Sorry, I meant HURD. It has "untrusted" filesystems in userland, too.
Pavel
--
(about SSSCA) "I don't say this lightly. However, I really think that the U.S.
no longer is classifiable as a democracy, but rather as a plutocracy." --hpa