2002-01-17 22:09:34

by root

Subject: newbie with a qlogic host bus adapter

I have a Qlogic qla2200f host bus adapter for an optical SAN. I am
running SuSE linux 7.1, I just downloaded kernel 2.4.17 sources and want
to compile a kernel. But when I "make menuconfig"
I go into scsi support, and into scs low level drivers, the qlogic
"qla2x00 QLC driver support" is not an option as it should be according
to the documentation for the qla2200.
how do i fix that?

also i tried to just compile the drivers to be modules, but i get the
error: /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux/modversions.h: No such file or
directory

where can I get this file?

Thankyou much.
Howard

2002-01-17 22:33:04

by Matthias Andree

Subject: Re: newbie with a qlogic host bus adapter

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, root wrote:

> I have a Qlogic qla2200f host bus adapter for an optical SAN. I am
> running SuSE linux 7.1, I just downloaded kernel 2.4.17 sources and want
> to compile a kernel. But when I "make menuconfig"
> I go into scsi support, and into scs low level drivers, the qlogic
> "qla2x00 QLC driver support" is not an option as it should be according
> to the documentation for the qla2200.
> how do i fix that?
>
> also i tried to just compile the drivers to be modules, but i get the
> error: /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux/modversions.h: No such file or
> directory
>
> where can I get this file?

You can probably just do
cd /usr/src
ln -s linux-2.4.WHATEVERSUSE7.1HAS linux-2.4

to "fix" the latter problem, or maybe you need to tweak the Makefile.

As to the former problem, I cannot tell. Should your problem not be
solved until Jan 27th, feel free to ask me in private mail.

Oh, and while I'm at it: please do use a regular user account to read
and send mail, root should not expose himself to the dangers of possible
bugs in his mailer -- use yast or useradd to add a regular user for
yourself, and use /etc/aliases or /etc/mail/aliases to forward root mail
to that user.

--
Matthias Andree

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

2002-01-17 23:16:16

by Timothy Covell

On Thursday 17 January 2002 16:32, Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, root wrote:
> > I have a Qlogic qla2200f host bus adapter for an optical SAN. I am
> > running SuSE linux 7.1, I just downloaded kernel 2.4.17 sources and want
> > to compile a kernel. But when I "make menuconfig"
> > I go into scsi support, and into scs low level drivers, the qlogic
> > "qla2x00 QLC driver support" is not an option as it should be according
> > to the documentation for the qla2200.
> > how do i fix that?
> >
> > also i tried to just compile the drivers to be modules, but i get the
> > error: /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux/modversions.h: No such file or
> > directory
> >
> > where can I get this file?
>
> You can probably just do
> cd /usr/src
> ln -s linux-2.4.WHATEVERSUSE7.1HAS linux-2.4
>
> to "fix" the latter problem, or maybe you need to tweak the Makefile.
>
> As to the former problem, I cannot tell. Should your problem not be
> solved until Jan 27th, feel free to ask me in private mail.
>
> Oh, and while I'm at it: please do use a regular user account to read
> and send mail, root should not expose himself to the dangers of possible
> bugs in his mailer -- use yast or useradd to add a regular user for
> yourself, and use /etc/aliases or /etc/mail/aliases to forward root mail
> to that user.

I you would like more good SysAdmin advice, please let your employer
know that I am available. I've been doing Linux/Unix SysAdmin for
over five years now. My resume is available upon request.

--
[email protected].