2002-01-11 06:06:24

by Andrew Morton

Subject: ext3-2.4-0.9.16

A small ext3 update. It fixes a few hard-to-hit but potentially
serious problems. The patch is against 2.4.18-pre3, and is also
applicable to 2.4.17.

http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/ext3-2.4-0.9.17-2418p3.gz

0.9.17 12 Jan 2002
-------------------

- Cleanup from Manfred Spraul which provides better randomisation of inode
generation numbers.

- A locking fix which prevents possible panics when an application is
using ioctl(FIBMAP) against a loaded filesystem.

- Buffer locking fix for journal descriptor buffers - fixes the
"end_request: buffer-list destroyed" crash which can occur under
heavy VM load.

- Fix a buffer locking problem which could cause corruption if a process
is reading from the underlying block device while journal recovery is
in progress.

-

2002-01-18 23:08:48

by Robert Love

Subject: Re: ext3-2.4-0.9.16

On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 01:00, Andrew Morton wrote:
> A small ext3 update. It fixes a few hard-to-hit but potentially
> serious problems. The patch is against 2.4.18-pre3, and is also
> applicable to 2.4.17.

I didn't see any feedback so I wanted to confirm success on my
2.4.18-pre4 UP machine. Survived prolonged use and some initial
stressing. Good job.

Robert Love

2002-01-18 23:27:01

by Ken Brownfield

Same on 2-way 1GB and 6-way 4GB boxes where I could easily reproduce one
of the issues.

--
Ken.
[email protected]

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 06:10:29PM -0500, Robert Love wrote:
| On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 01:00, Andrew Morton wrote:
| > A small ext3 update. It fixes a few hard-to-hit but potentially
| > serious problems. The patch is against 2.4.18-pre3, and is also
| > applicable to 2.4.17.
|
| I didn't see any feedback so I wanted to confirm success on my
| 2.4.18-pre4 UP machine. Survived prolonged use and some initial
| stressing. Good job.
|
| Robert Love
|
| -
| To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
| the body of a message to [email protected]
| More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
| Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2002-01-18 23:40:50

by Dan Chen

Similar experience here. Has withstood abuse on my UP and SMP machines
(a variety of 2.4.17 and 2.4.18-pre4). Thanks!

--
Dan Chen [email protected]
GPG key: http://www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

Attachments: