2002-01-23 23:36:11

by Punj, Arun

Subject: NEWBIE : can't find /lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.dep error

Folks,

I upgraded the 2.4.7-10 kernel that comes with RH7.2 to 2.4.17.
[ I could compile it fine and grub is able to load it too...]

However, I see the error : can't find /lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.dep
multiple times.

Afcourse there is no such file or directory. I suspect that this
directory and file should have been created when I compiled 2.4.17
kernel but it did not. ( I did make bzImage )

Can you please point out the problem and also the effect of this
error because I cannot see any side effect of this error.

Thanks
Arun

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then
attachment, use the contents for any purposes, or disclose the contents to
any other person: to do so could be a breach of confidence.

2002-01-24 00:16:18

by Eric Weigle

> I upgraded the 2.4.7-10 kernel that comes with RH7.2 to 2.4.17.
> [ I could compile it fine and grub is able to load it too...]
>
> However, I see the error : can't find /lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.dep
> multiple times.
Sounds like you didn't make or install modules. Most kernels these days
are best built using modules for device drivers and such that are loaded
on-demand during runtime, instead of being part of a big 'monolithic'
kernel. This saves space in memory and has some other benefits (although
this is open to debate).

`make bzImage` makes just the 'monolithic' part of the kernel, while `make
modules` and `make modules_install` handle building and installing modules,
and should create the proper directories and put in the appropriate files.

If you did execute the modules commands (as root, of course), the problem
might be in your module loader program suite (insmod, lsmod, etc.). Old
versions of the program don't work with newer kernels. I'm not a RedHat user
so I wouldn't know about that, but you could check their site and download
the latest RPM if that seems to be the problem.

-Eric

Eric H. Weigle CCS-1, RADIANT team
[email protected] Los Alamos National Lab
(505) 665-4937 http://home.lanl.gov/ehw/

by Punj, Arun

Thanks, You are right I did not do a make modules_install.

However, the thing is - my system was working normally in so far as I can
tell even without doing make modules_install !!! Maybe I am not using any
of dynamically loading drivers???

Thanks a ton eric and all who have helped.

ARun

2002-01-24 03:16:59

by Richard Massa

You need to make modules and make modules_install too :)

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 06:35:47PM -0500, Punj, Arun wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I upgraded the 2.4.7-10 kernel that comes with RH7.2 to 2.4.17.
> [ I could compile it fine and grub is able to load it too...]
>
> However, I see the error : can't find /lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.dep
> multiple times.
>
> Afcourse there is no such file or directory. I suspect that this
> directory and file should have been created when I compiled 2.4.17
> kernel but it did not. ( I did make bzImage )
>
> Can you please point out the problem and also the effect of this
> error because I cannot see any side effect of this error.
>
> Thanks
> Arun
>

> This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the
> intended recipient, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then
> attachment, use the contents for any purposes, or disclose the contents to
> any other person: to do so could be a breach of confidence.
> -

"With Blue--uncertain stumbling Buzz--
Between the light--and me--
And then the Windows failed--and then