2002-01-24 00:40:44

by Marc A. Ohmann

Subject: AMD 2.4.17 hard freeze

I don't know if this is related to the "Athlon PSE/AGP Bug" thread since that seems to be openGL related.

I recently built an Athlon 1700+, 1GB DDR, GeForce2 MX-400 AGP system on a Soyo SY-K7V Dragon for a customer. Slack 8 installed without a hitch but once I got the system up and running 2.4.17 the system would randomly freeze. The freezes often happen during kernel compiles but they have also happened under no load at all.

I thought it sounded like a hardware problem but I installed W2k on it the other night and now it has been up for 2 days with no problems.

I really don't have much to offer for diagnostics but I am willing to try anything that is suggested.

The freezes seem to be fairly repeatable and happen on 8/10 kernel compiles. I have tried compiling in init 3 and with no modules loaded but it still freezes.

Thanks for any help,

--
------ Marc A. Ohmann [email protected] ------ Digital Solutions, Inc. ------
| | .~. |

2002-01-24 03:01:07

by Marcelo Tosatti

Subject: Re: AMD 2.4.17 hard freeze

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Marc A. Ohmann wrote:

> I don't know if this is related to the "Athlon PSE/AGP Bug" thread since that seems to be openGL related.
>
> I recently built an Athlon 1700+, 1GB DDR, GeForce2 MX-400 AGP system
> on a Soyo SY-K7V Dragon for a customer. Slack 8 installed without a
> hitch but once I got the system up and running 2.4.17 the system would
> randomly freeze.

With the Slackware 8 default kernel (which one they are using, btw?) the
system is stable ?

2002-01-24 21:22:04

by Marc A. Ohmann

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 10:20:34AM -0800, Serguei Miridonov wrote:
> Please, try this and let me know if it helps...
>
> http://www.cicese.mx/~mirsev/Linux/VIA/VIA-latency-linux.html

The problem sounds the same but I don't have anything on the pci bus. The nic is in the VIA266 chipset, graphics is AGP

--
------ Marc A. Ohmann [email protected] ------ Digital Solutions, Inc. ------
| | .~. |
| - Internet Hosting | /V\ L I N U X |
| - Application Programming | // \\ |
| - Network Administration | /( )\ Solution Provider |
-----------<a href="http://ds6.net">Digital Solutions, Inc</a>-----------

2002-01-24 21:31:01

by Marc A. Ohmann

Subject: Re: AMD 2.4.17 hard freeze - Update

2.2.19 from slack bare.i also froze today (during a 2.4.17 compile). I added the mem=nopentium a couple days ago and there was no difference. Win2K worked successfully for the 3rd day in a row. :-(

after the freezes I almost always have to run e2fsck manually on the partition with the sources -- I assume thats because its such a hard freeze