2002-02-04 10:39:07

by Fabrice Eudes

Subject: Can't boot 2.4.17 or 2.5.1 kernel

Hello,

I am a french guy living in Lille and using/practising Linux for 6ish
years. Please could you Cc me any answer. thanks a lot.

I had a -long- look in the mailing list archives but couldn't find an
answer to the following question:

[Short] I boot 2.2.19 kernels without any problems but can't boot any
2.4.17 neither a 2.5.1.

[Details] I have a PC Packard-Bell im?dia6007a
- AMD Athlon 1.4GHz
- Motherboard "Explorer" from Packard-Bell
- Chipset VIA KM133: VT8365A Northbridge (AGP,PCI) and VT686B
Southbridge (IDE,USB) (BIOS recently upgraded)
- ATIRadeonVE 32MB
- Debian GNU/Linux Woody (non-official isos from 20/07/2001) with
XFree86 upgraded from 4.0.3 to 4.1.0 (xfree86-common, xserver-common,
xserver-xfree86) for radeon support.

Firstly, I want a 2.4.x kernel for the sound (alsa), the framebuffer and
the dri (I'd like to be able to play tuxracer ;o)

I boot my system with grub and there is no problem for the 2.2.19 kernel
packaged with the woody neither for the lighter one I compiled myself
from the debian packaged sources.

However, I hadn't any success booting a 2.4.17 kernel; I hadn't tried
every possibility but I tried:
- a 2.4.13 kernel compiled from the "generic" (I mean not the debian
package, see below) sources.
- the kernel-image-2.4.17-k7_2.4.17-1_i386.deb debian package.
- many kernels compiled from kernel-source-2.4.17_2.4.17-1_all.deb
debian package.
- a few kernels compiled from the 2.4.17 "generic" sources.
- a 2.5.1 kernel compiled from the "generic" sources (non patched).

I tried to compile for Athlon, PentiumPro, 386 -> same behavior
I tried with/out initrd support -> same behavior
I tried "mem=nopentium" boot option related to the radeon -> same behavior
I also tried lilo and boot disks both for grub and lilo -> same behavior

please help ! thanks a million.

[begin grub output]
Booting command-list

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17-k7 root=/dev/hda1 ro
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x9b512]
initrd /boot/initrd.img
[Linux-initrd @ 0x17cb4000, 0x32c000 bytes]

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
[end grub output]
and the machine is stucked there...
It seems to me that grub loads the kernel ok but when grub gives it the
hand, the problem occurs...
--
St?phanie, Fabrice et Fiona -o)
[email protected] /\\

2002-02-04 10:56:17

by René Camu

Subject: Re: Can't boot 2.4.17 or 2.5.1 kernel

Hi,

If you are using potato you need the two following entries in your
sources.list
deb http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian potato main
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian potato main

For woody you need the following
#
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
#
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US
dists/testing/non-US/main/binary-$(ARCH)/
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US
dists/testing/non-US/main/source/#
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US
dists/testing/non-US/contrib/binary-$(ARCH)/
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US
dists/testing/non-US/contrib/source/
#
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US
dists/testing/non-US/non-free/binary-$(ARCH)/
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US
dists/testing/non-US/non-free/source/
#

First update your system before ionstallnig 2.4.*

Best regards

Ren? Camu
[...]

2002-02-04 11:53:42

by Marinho Paiva Duarte

Hi!
You must upgrade the modutils and other related packages.
Take a look at debian news and see the packages that Bunk had prepared
to use Debian 2.2 with 2.4.x kernels.
I think it will solve your problem.

Best Regards,
Marinho Paiva Duarte

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:39:49 +0100
Fabrice Eudes <[email protected]:

[...]

Hi again !

Le Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:01:42AM -0200, Marinho Paiva Duarte a ?crit:
> You must upgrade the modutils and other related packages.
> Take a look at debian news and see the packages that Bunk had prepared
> to use Debian 2.2 with 2.4.x kernels.
> I think it will solve your problem.
I said in my previous mail that I use the 'woody' version so it should
be ready for 2.4.x kernel shouldn't it ?

Anymay, I had a look at A. Bunk site, upgraded the necessary packages
and reboot; well, still no problem for the 2.2.19 but still can't boot
the 2.4.x (tried the official kernel-image-2.4.17-k7)

any other idea ? thanks.
--
St?phanie, Fabrice et Fiona -o)
[email protected] /\\

2002-02-04 13:48:37

by Marcus Grando

Subject: Linux 2.4.18-pre7-mg2

Hello,

I announce new -mg patch:

2.4.18-pre7-mg2
o Merge to -rmap12c (me)

2.4.18-pre7-mg1
o Fix Netfilter bugs (David S. Miller)
o Apply -rmap12a (Me)

http://users.big.univali.br/~marcus/kernel-patchs/patch-2.4.18-pre7-mg2.patch.gz

Marcus Grando
marcus at big dot univali dot br

2002-02-04 19:51:52

by Jose Luis Domingo Lopez

On Monday, 04 February 2002, at 11:39:49 +0100,
Fabrice Eudes wrote:

> Hello,
> [...]
> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
> [end grub output]
> and the machine is stucked there...
> It seems to me that grub loads the kernel ok but when grub gives it the
> hand, the problem occurs...

I have been suffering similar problems for some time, with a box quite
older than yours, and with different kernels which wouldn't boot.

For example, old Debian Potato 2.2.17 always booted fine, but 2.2.18
sometimes failed at the same place as in your machine. 2.2.19 was a real
pain to make it boot, as well as some 2.4.x kernels. Sometimes the
machine hangs, sometimes it reboots. From some specific 2.4.x kernel
version (exact version number is lost somewhere in my mind, but maybe
2.4.13+, maybe earlier) any kernel booted fine.

One day I tried again to boot those "problematic" kernels from the same
PC, now upgraded to Woody, and the problems appeared in the same places.
One thing that I noticed is that Alan's 2.4.x-acY kernels had no
problems booting where plain 2.4.x kernels failed.

Hope thos helps.

--
Jos? Luis Domingo L?pez
Linux Registered User #189436 Debian Linux Woody (P166 64 MB RAM)

jdomingo AT internautas DOT org => Spam at your own risk

2002-02-05 14:22:13

by Marinho Paiva Duarte

Hi!
I really don't know...
I use Debain 2.2r3 and always used the Bunk's packages to use 2.4.x
kernels. Did you try to compile the kernel instead of using the .deb
version??
I did never use a kernel in .deb format. So, I can not say if it is
the problem.
Try to get a kernel in tarball format and compile it by yourself.
If you need more help, feel free to contact me.
One more thing: send any error messages that can get when trying to
boot 2.4 kernel. It can be very useful.

Regards,

-------
Marinho Paiva Duarte
Usu?rio Linux #229528

/"\
\ / CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
X ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
/ \