2002-02-05 05:48:29

by Benjamin Pharr

Subject: choice Help Sections

Has anyone else noticed the availability of only one help section in
"choice" blocks when using make menuconfig (and others maybe?)?

The best example of this is selection of "Processor family". No matter
which option is highlighted when Help is selected, it always gives the
help for CONFIG_M386.

I thought this was possibly by design until I checked
Documentation/Configure.help and found help sections for the other CPU
families.

Ben Pharr

2002-02-05 13:10:42

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: choice Help Sections

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 11:47:09PM -0600, Benjamin Pharr wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed the availability of only one help section in
> "choice" blocks when using make menuconfig (and others maybe?)?
> The best example of this is selection of "Processor family". No matter
> which option is highlighted when Help is selected, it always gives the
> help for CONFIG_M386.

Yes, the config tools still need some work. With Linus showing
no sign of merging CML2 or anything else in the near future,
someone knowledgable of how these work should probably take a
look at fixing them up.

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-02-05 16:42:32

by Thomas Capricelli

Linus wants us to fix this. And cml2 seems to me the right fix. Why should we
loose some time fixing this when cml2 is already here ? And I trust Eric
enough he will maintain it better than that old Configure.help was. No
flamewar intended.

Thomas

On Tuesday 05 February 2002 14:10, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 11:47:09PM -0600, Benjamin Pharr wrote:
> > Has anyone else noticed the availability of only one help section in
> > "choice" blocks when using make menuconfig (and others maybe?)?
> > The best example of this is selection of "Processor family". No matter
> > which option is highlighted when Help is selected, it always gives the
> > help for CONFIG_M386.
>
> Yes, the config tools still need some work. With Linus showing
> no sign of merging CML2 or anything else in the near future,
> someone knowledgable of how these work should probably take a
> look at fixing them up.

2002-02-13 13:48:19

by David Woodhouse

[email protected] said:
> Has anyone else noticed the availability of only one help section in
> "choice" blocks when using make menuconfig (and others maybe?)?

> The best example of this is selection of "Processor family". No matter
> which option is highlighted when Help is selected, it always gives the
> help for CONFIG_M386.

AFAIK the help text for choice entries has _always_ been implemented the
way you observed - a single entry with the name of the first choice, which
helps you decide what to choose - not individual entries for each possible
choice.

It looks like the current Configure.help is broken. I suggest you submit
patches to correct it.

--
dwmw2

2002-02-13 14:21:55

by Giacomo A. Catenazzi

David Woodhouse wrote:

> [email protected] said:
>
>>Has anyone else noticed the availability of only one help section in
>>"choice" blocks when using make menuconfig (and others maybe?)?
>>

>>The best example of this is selection of "Processor family". No matter
>>which option is highlighted when Help is selected, it always gives the
>>help for CONFIG_M386.
>>

> AFAIK the help text for choice entries has _always_ been implemented the
> way you observed - a single entry with the name of the first choice, which
> helps you decide what to choose - not individual entries for each possible
> choice.
>
> It looks like the current Configure.help is broken. I suggest you submit
> patches to correct it.

The other items are ready for CML2. One of the Configure.help maintainers
is also the maintainer of CML2, so...

giacomo