2002-02-06 14:27:05

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

Subject: Cyrix CX5530 audio support?

hi

Are there any support for the CX5530 audio chipset yet?

roy

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Thibaut Laurent

Subject: Re: Cyrix CX5530 audio support?

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:26:40 +0100 (CET)
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <[email protected]> wrote:

| hi
|
| Are there any support for the CX5530 audio chipset yet?

The sb module from the kernel works.
IIRC, sb16 had a hard time detecting the chip (though I haven't tested it again recently), but ALSA snd-card-sb16 is all right so you'll probably want to use the later.

| roy
|
| --
| Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA
|
| Computers are like air conditioners.
| They stop working when you open Windows.

Regards,
Thibaut

2002-02-06 15:07:49

by Alan

> The sb module from the kernel works.
> IIRC, sb16 had a hard time detecting the chip (though I haven't tested it again recently), but ALSA snd-card-sb16 is all right so you'll probably want to use the later.

Its been fine on my CS5530 since 2.2. We have the DMA emulation bug and the
disable_dma emulation bug fixed up nowdays

Alan

2002-02-06 15:13:17

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

> > The sb module from the kernel works.
> > IIRC, sb16 had a hard time detecting the chip (though I haven't tested it again recently), but ALSA snd-card-sb16 is all right so you'll probably want to use the later.
>
> Its been fine on my CS5530 since 2.2. We have the DMA emulation bug and the
> disable_dma emulation bug fixed up nowdays

This is with the sb16 driver?

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Alan

> > Its been fine on my CS5530 since 2.2. We have the DMA emulation bug and the
> > disable_dma emulation bug fixed up nowdays
>
> This is with the sb16 driver?

SB16 driver and standard natsemi VSA1 firmware

2002-02-06 15:35:07

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > Its been fine on my CS5530 since 2.2. We have the DMA emulation bug and the
> > > disable_dma emulation bug fixed up nowdays
> >
> > This is with the sb16 driver?
>
> SB16 driver and standard natsemi VSA1 firmware

natsemi VSA1 firmware?

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Alan

> > > This is with the sb16 driver?
> > SB16 driver and standard natsemi VSA1 firmware
> natsemi VSA1 firmware?

In the BIOS. There is 64K or so of deep magic SMM emulation firmware in the
Geode system. Much of the PC compatible I/O is not in fact real but smoke and
mirrors games played in the processor behind Linux back. This includes the
SB16 interface.

Alan

2002-02-06 15:44:47

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

> > > SB16 driver and standard natsemi VSA1 firmware
> > natsemi VSA1 firmware?
>
> In the BIOS. There is 64K or so of deep magic SMM emulation firmware in the
> Geode system. Much of the PC compatible I/O is not in fact real but smoke and
> mirrors games played in the processor behind Linux back. This includes the
> SB16 interface.

Do you know if this is standard with the SC1200 chip?

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Alan

> > In the BIOS. There is 64K or so of deep magic SMM emulation firmware in the
> > Geode system. Much of the PC compatible I/O is not in fact real but smoke and
> > mirrors games played in the processor behind Linux back. This includes the
> > SB16 interface.
>
> Do you know if this is standard with the SC1200 chip?

Ask your vendor what firmware is in their BIOS

2002-02-08 09:57:21

by Marcus Sundberg

[email protected] (Alan Cox) writes:

> > The sb module from the kernel works.
> > IIRC, sb16 had a hard time detecting the chip (though I haven't tested it again recently), but ALSA snd-card-sb16 is all right so you'll probably want to use the later.
>
> Its been fine on my CS5530 since 2.2. We have the DMA emulation bug and the
> disable_dma emulation bug fixed up nowdays

But if you have the option I'd recommend to use one of the native
drivers. National have drivers for both OSS and ALSA, and the ALSA
driver is under a BSD license. (The OSS driver I don't know about,
it doesn't say anything about licensing conditions.)

//Marcus
--
Marcus Sundberg <[email protected]> | Firewalls with SIP & NAT